S&W 442 vs S&W 340pd

This is a discussion on S&W 442 vs S&W 340pd within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For personal carry, is there a significant of a difference between a 38+P and 357 Magnum with regard to stopping the treat? I know the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: S&W 442 vs S&W 340pd

S&W 442 vs S&W 340pd

For personal carry, is there a significant of a difference between a 38+P and 357 Magnum with regard to stopping the treat? I know the difference of the recoil especially when at the range and multiple shots, but for the personal threat, is it worthwhile to invest in the 357 or is the 38 enough?

2. Remove Ads

Many that have a .357 platform choose to carry .38+p rounds in their revolver for defensive use. In short barrels, the flash and negatives of the .357 outweigh the positives. The .357 is one of the gold standards in terms of defensive rounds, and out of a 3 or 4" barrel, it's probably the better round. For lightweight snubs that many choose to carry, .38+p is a really good round these days, especially the Speer 135gr+p short barrel Gold Dots.

Personally, I decided to go with a strictly .38 platform when picking a snub years ago, and went with a 642. There are a lot of opinions on this, and I'm sure this thread will take off.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    This is often a touchy subject but I will say, for me, .38sp wad cutters in short barrel pistols is my normal carry. Exception being perhaps Hornady CD stuff or Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammunition 38 Special +P 129 Grain Hydra-Shok Jacketed Hollow Point.

Firing into a wet metro-size phone book I see the best all in all results with wad cutters when using a S&W 442. I have not shot the 340 however.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

The attached is by Stephen A. Camp. Rest his soul, he was one I trusted implicitly with firearm reviews.

New Page 1
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

All those that want to be shot with a 357 instead of a 38 special please raise you hand. All those that want to be shot with a 38 special instead of a 357 please raise your hand. Seems the hand count is about the same on both sides of that question. Does that help?
    It did me I shoot the slowest biggest 38 special bullet I can find in my 442.
    R
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Yes there is a difference

Yes there is a difference. Even out of a short barrel. I have both 642 and 360M&P ( Bobbed Hammer ). Size is the same. Even though the PD is lighter than the 442 airweight it only matters on paper. In your pocket or hand you will not feel a real difference. I have both and there is about 2 ounces difference. Both are really lightweight and disappear. Here is what is better about the PD. You can fire 357 or 38+p or 38 wadcutters. All the crap about the extra muzzle flash is very overplayed. Yes it is louder and brighter( at night ). It's not like the +p rounds are quite or night vision friendly. Don't worry about what you read. The difference will not incapacitate you or make you wet your pants. The sights on the 340PD are replaceable and much larger and easier to acquire. The 442 has a Black ramp that's ok. My 360M&P has a Big Tritium front sight that is far superior to the fiber optic on the 340pd. You could install the big dot tritium on the 340PD. The main reasons people shoot 38+P is A. They do not have a 357 J frame and can't shoot 357's. B. They have a 357 J frame and have fired 357's and have realized that +P rounds hurt less to fire. No one uses the +P because it is more effective than a 357. You may hear crap about follow up shots being faster. Neither of these guns are real fun to fire off alot of rounds. The 11 ounce 357 will be alot less fun than a 13.5 ounce 38 +P. But the 38 in a airweight revolver still kicks pretty good.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar

Re: S&W 442 vs S&W 340pd

If you get the pd model with the titanium cylinder keep in mind you aren't suppose to shoot less than a 120 grain bullet.

I bought my 360pd and my dad's 340pd by more chance than research. It was a deal I couldn't pass up.

They aren't fun to shoot a bunch due to the small size and light weight... but they are very comfortable to carry since loaded up the revolver only weighs 13 ounces.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

S&W 442 vs S&W 340pd

Great thread, I am a snubbie junkie an carry either a SP101 with +ps 38 or my S&WMOD mod 60 ported with .357 for pocket carry for a fast run to the store I throw my S&WMOD 642 ported .38+ps in my pocket the flash crap I keep hearing about is ridiculous I shoot mine all the time have no problems with to much flash an mine is ported keeps muzzle flip down easy to stay on target for follow ups keep speed strip in pocket never feel under gunned. Love snubbies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The 357 mag is by far, according to my chronograph, more powerful from a snub nose than a 38 spl.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

More powerful doesn't always mean more practically effective. Only hits count. You'll practice more with a .38 spl than a .357 magnum from a airweight snubby so you'll naturally have a higher probability of hits. You'll also have faster split-times (follow-up shots) and be less effected by the shock & awe (recoil & muzzle flash) of the magnum. We won't definitively settle this debate today but, IMHO, the compromise in caliber "power" is favorable to the increased likelihood of a miss. And that likelihood increases with every shot. If you never imagine yourself missing & believe one shot stops all fights, then the hot-loaded .357 magnums is perfect for you. Me, I'm goin' with less juice & more control.
    Camjr likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    More powerful doesn't always mean more practically effective. Only hits count. You'll practice more with a .38 spl than a .357 magnum from a airweight snubby so you'll naturally have a higher probability of hits. You'll also have faster split-times (follow-up shots) and be less effected by the shock & awe (recoil & muzzle flash) of the magnum. We won't definitively settle this debate today but, IMHO, the compromise in caliber "power" is favorable to the increased likelihood of a miss. And that likelihood increases with every shot. If you never imagine yourself missing & believe one shot stops all fights, then the hot-loaded .357 magnums is perfect for you. Me, I'm goin' with less juice & more control.
    ^^^This, IMO^^^
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

In short barrels, the flash and negatives of the .357 outweigh the positives.
    I wish I had $1 for every time I hear that wives tale.

Everything you state is very dependent on skill level. A man has got to know his limitations.......
    Eric357 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fffabiano View Post
    For personal carry, is there a significant of a difference between a 38+P and 357 Magnum with regard to stopping the treat? I know the difference of the recoil especially when at the range and multiple shots, but for the personal threat, is it worthwhile to invest in the 357 or is the 38 enough?
    The question is a bit unclear. Are you setting your sights on a light weight .357, or is your question more in line with the .38/357 comparison? For the latter you have your answers above.

For the former - 442 v. 340, well I can handle a 38 +P in my 642 or 637 airweights just fine. 38 +P's are even easier in my 640 or 60's. The 640 or 60's do get snappy with full house .357's, though. I cannot imagine shooting a .357 in a 340, which is lighter than my 642 or 637. I train with plinking ammo that is a ballistic match with my carry, so I know what to expect when I shoot. I'll burn 50 - 100 rounds in a session with my 642.

I cannot imagine burning 50 - 100 rounds of .357 in a 340. In a 686 L frame, sure, no problem, but not in a 340. So unless you are recoil immune, I would not invest the money in a 340 with the plan on carrying .357's, because I highly doubt you would be training rapid fire with .357's enough to become very proficient.

VIP Member
    Ok heres the lowdown on which one to get. The 357 gun can shoot both 357 and 38 in a pinch. The 38 gun just 38's. So u have the option of either or. What do I have? A smith 642 38+P. Why I got it instead? I wanted the no lock and I saw it so I grabbed it up. Kinda hard to find in my area.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Great thread, I am a snubbie junkie an carry either a SP101 with +ps 38 or my S&WMOD mod 60 ported with .357 for pocket carry for a fast run to the store I throw my S&WMOD 642 ported .38+ps in my pocket the flash crap I keep hearing about is ridiculous I shoot mine all the time have no problems with to much flash an mine is ported keeps muzzle flip down easy to stay on target for follow ups keep speed strip in pocket never feel under gunned. Love snubbies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    That's a nice looking ruger u got there and holster. Where did u find that engraved SP.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links