An FNX45T followed me home.

This is a discussion on An FNX45T followed me home. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife was going to the sewing store that's about 15 minutes from Cabela's and asked if I might want to go along, she held ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: An FNX45T followed me home.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

My wife was going to the sewing store that's about 15 minutes from Cabela's and asked if I might want to go along, she held up continuing the trip to include Cabela's as a (successful) bribe. So I stopped what I was doing, like immediately, to join her.

We eventually arrived at Cabela's after the sewing store and lunch at Wendy's (Large Chile, no crackers). I walked down the counter and by golly they had an FN FNX45 Tactical in the counter. So I took a number, 7 if it matters, they were on 4 at the time. Eventually they got to me. My bride of 44 years showed up with an arm load of stuff she wanted about the time the guy got to me. Very pleasant salesman. Knowledgeable. He and I exchanged pleasantries while he cleared the gun and handed it to me with the slide locked back.

I thanked him, and gave it a good looking over. The gun has the best trigger/safety system I've ever run into. First, and a huge safety feature, it can be loaded, unloaded, and cleared with the safety on so there is essentially zero chance of an accidental discharge. It isn't necessary to cock the hammer before putting the safety on like it is with my P238.

In use, one can load it, put the safety lever up, it's cocked and locked like a 1911. Press the safety down one notch, it's good to fire Single Action, and it has a decent single action trigger. Rack the chamber to load a round, press the safety lever down, it decocks the hammer and leaves you with the hammer safely down on a loaded chamber ready to fire in full double action for the first shot like a revolver, and single action for subsequent shots, like a P226 SIG. The DAO gives it second strike capability for what that's worth. It came with 3ea. 15 round magazines.

My wife asked to handle it. She was pleased she could rack the slide. She thought the DA trigger pull was heavier than she'd like, but loved the single action trigger pull. She said, I like my 686 better, but if you want it, we might negotiate.

There followed a short negotiation, she gets a new puppy, I get the FNX. Deal! (Truth be told I think she had something like this in mind when she offered the visit to Cabela's. What's to not like?) We completed the paperwork and brought it home.

I field stripped it, ran a patch through it and lubed the slide with my favorite grease (Lubriplate FMO from Brownell's).

It's a definite handfull of defensive fire power.

On top of which it's one seriously badass pistol.

Assuming I shoot it okay: which isn't really in doubt but needs to be proven none the less, and in addition it proves itself flawless through having four full loads out of each magazine, it will go in the bedside safe with the rail light on it. 15+1 of 230g Gold dot ought to be at least as effective as 17+1 of 9mm (Glock 17). It has the Trijicon Tritium suppressor sights on it already (green front, yellow rear).

I am kind of wanting an RMR02 reflex sight to put on it as well. We'll see. I've licked the spoon pretty hard, like 3 handguns since Christmas (XDs christmas gift from my wife) and the G30, SIG C3, and now the FNX45T since then. I don't want two puppies, so I better stop now.

Fitch
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

That thing is begging for a nice suppressor. Congrats

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Congrats! Very nice looking pistol.
    Fitch likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Love it ! ! I have the FNX 9 and love it to death. It's super accurate, and has just about the best ergonomics out there. Enjoy it. Thats on my short list of must-have
    Fitch likes this.

Nice! I have the FNP45 Tactical which is very, very close to the same thing but I got mine just before they switched over to the newer, X version. From all I can tell they're nearly identical. Mine shoots very, very well! It's more accurate than I am. The really surprising thing is how little recoil there is for being a .45 ACP. Probably a combination of having a fairly low bore axis and having a polymer frame. The tall Trijicon HD sights are very nice, too. Tall enough to peek out over the suppressor. I don't have one yet but that's what I had in mind when I bought the FN.

Congrats! I bet you're gonna love it once you get the chance to shoot it a bit.
    Fitch likes this.

Thanks guys. I confess to being really excited about this gun. More so than any I've brought home recently. I like them all, but this one has my heart rate up.

Hopefully I'll get to shoot it sometime in the next couple of days. If I have to I'll take it to the indoor range. I am on withdrawal from gunsmoke! I just finished a session with the 550B loading up another 250ea. 230g RN practice ammo. I really wanna pop some caps.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Why is your finger on the trigger?
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    To show where my trigger finger is when the gun is ready to go double action which is the furthest forward it gets. The pad of my finger falls on the trigger. With the hammer cocked the trigger is back to the double action break point and it's an easier reach. The DA trigger pull and how my finger fits on it is important to the gun's suitability for the home defense mission. I don't want to have to remember the safety in the middle of an adreneline rush.

Edited to add: The gun is unloaded. In fact it's never been loaded by me. The magazine followers are still virgin. I almost always take pictures during the process of making friends with a new pistol, and almost always take one with my finger on the trigger. The gun is always unloaded for photo sessions.

Fitch
    RadarContact likes this.

That's a serious home defense handgun.. Very nice.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

so rookies like you will make some off the wall remark. Worked, too.
    WC145 and RadarContact like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

everyone is for safety but obviously he's handleing and dryfiring his new gun, give him a break Im sure he knows what hes doing.
    RadarContact and WC145 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    so rookies like you will make some off the wall remark. Worked, too.
    You beat me to it, I agree with you 100%

Congrats again Fitch, that thing is a beast.
    RadarContact likes this.

Nice catch. I switched duty guns from a 1911 to a FNP45T last spring and couldn't be happier, I have the RMR02 on mine. Great gun, feeds everything, plenty accurate, decent SA trigger, and the transition from the 1911 was a piece of cake. All the controls are in the same spots, can carry in condition one, same frame geometry/ergonomics as the 1911 so, since I still carry a 1911 off duty, there's no weird transitional muscle memory issues switching back and forth between guns. I'm sure you'll enjoy your FNX just as much, be sure to post back with a range report!
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Yes, Range report and more pictures wouldnt hurt lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    Yes, Range report and more pictures wouldnt hurt lol
    I'd love to have a range trip to report on. 31F here this AM, not going out there.

I do have some more pictures that I took this morning to get a record of how the trigger functions.

Warning: There fill be a finger on the trigger in all of them. The gun is not loaded. There isn't a magazine in it. The reloading block makes a nice rest to hold the gun stable, and the best light for pictures is on the reloading bench.

Second Warning: Don't bother to caution me about reloading. I reload every thing I shoot. Have for years. So, yes, I'm probably going to reload every cartridge that goes in this new pistol except those loaded into it for self defense, which I hope to never use. 3 boxes of 230g Gold Dot is hopefully more than a life time supply of factory ammo for this gun. I reload for my Glock 30 too. I use plated lead bullets. They work fine. I've put thousands of them through my G19 and G26.

Okay, with all the warnings out of the way, here's the first picture:

This was taken with the pistol cocked, the safety on, trigger finger 'just' touching the trigger. Note how the trigger is right in the middle of the pad on the finger and in a position to be pulled straight back. Bunch of dry firing this morning showed it's a piece of cake to drop the hammer single action without the sight picture changing. I figured that out while standing at the counter yesterday, but it was good to confirm it a hundred times or so this morning.

This shows it cocked, safety off, trigger at breakpoint. I apologize for the shadow near the top center of the picture. My finger must have encroached on the iPhone's camera lens and I didn't notice it till I was processing the pictures. I was too lazy to go back and take them again.

This shows it after I dry fired it following the picture above, then held the trigger back and cycled the slide. This is the configuration the pistol would be in after it's fired and before the shooter moves his/her trigger finger forward. The next picture after this one will show the reset.

Following the picture immediately above, I eased my trigger finger forward until the trigger 'just' reset, then then took this picture.

You can see that the reset is nice and short which will be a feature for double taps if the dynamics of the gun, my hands and grip are suitable for double taps. Most .45s, including all of mine that I've fired so far, don't work well for double taps. Not a big problem, they don't hold a lot of ammo either so disciplined fire is the way to go with them.

My Glock 26 and 19 are wonderful for double taps, a good thing because they are nines. I'm going to be spending some time this summer teaching myself another trigger discipline to match the dynamics of this .45ACP full size pistol and the Glock 30.

I just checked the temperature - it's only 2 degrees warmer. Rats!

Fitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links