Has anyone seen or have the new Rock River 1911 poly?

This is a discussion on Has anyone seen or have the new Rock River 1911 poly? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been wanting to get my hands on one of Rock River's 1911 Poly .45s, but I cannot find them anywhere. I thought they were ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Has anyone seen or have the new Rock River 1911 poly?

Has anyone seen or have the new Rock River 1911 poly?

I've been wanting to get my hands on one of Rock River's 1911 Poly .45s, but I cannot find them anywhere. I thought they were out, but possibly not??

Has anyone seen one, or have one? If so, what did you think?
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

2. Remove Ads

The RRA web site shows, "Coming Soon", so I would not expect to find one on the street yet.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    The RRA web site shows, "Coming Soon", so I would not expect to find one on the street yet.
    I don't think they had that on there when I looked at it, but I could have missed it altogether. Thanks. I appreciate the heads up.
    saa.

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

I read a recent review that said the grip area is thicker than that of a metal-framed 1911 variant. That, alone, sends me back to an alloy frame 'cause one of my biggest justifications for a 1911 is the thin grip profile.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

a polymer frame 1911?? Blasphemy I say, Blasphemy!! JMB would NEVER approve of his design made in (gasp) plastic.

....now if Gaston Glock would make a 1911 with a high impact OD green polymer frame, I'd be on it like flies on honey.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    a polymer frame 1911?? Blasphemy I say, Blasphemy!! JMB would NEVER approve of his design made in (gasp) plastic.

....now if Gaston Glock would make a 1911 with a high impact OD green polymer frame, I'd be on it like flies on honey.
    OK, so let me understand what you're saying: Rock Rivers polymer frame is crap, because it's polymer (plastic in your words for the RR gun); but Glock's polymer 1911 would be great because it's a color that you like - even though it's also polymer (plastic, in your description). Is that it?

Let it sink in a little...

OK, yes, you need to edit your post because you're contridicting... um, yourself. :)
    saa.

PS: I love Glock too! I'd snatch a glock single stack 1911 in a heartbeat, given it retained Glocks level of robust quality. I also think this Rock River deserves a chance. I have some fat grip guns (Glock!) and depending on many factors, they can be very workable.

We'll see.

Sarcasm is just not appreciated anymore. lol
    OD*, 40Bob and bmcgilvray like this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    Sarcasm is just not appreciated anymore. lol
    I'm sure Zonker knows I'm just kidding (Zonker, I'm just kidding!!) :)

I'm lucky to remember what I wrote from word to word, let alone sentence to sentence!

He's got a point on JMB. Could you imagine someone saying: "Hey, John, let's give this a try in a really good plastic..." LOL.

Roll over, indeed!
    saa.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post

JMB probably would've said, "Plastic? Whaddaheck is plastic???"
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Hmmmm.....a poly 1911. I'm going to have to wait until more reviews are out to make a better assessment.

"OK, so let me understand what you're saying: Rock Rivers polymer frame is crap, because it's polymer (plastic in your words for the RR gun); but Glock's polymer 1911 would be great because it's a color that you like - even though it's also polymer (plastic, in your description). Is that it?"

I'm an "equal opportunity" loather of plastic for firearms, myself.
    OD* likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by saa View Post
    I love Glock too! I'd snatch a glock single stack 1911 in a heartbeat, given it retained Glocks level of robust quality. I also think this Rock River deserves a chance. I have some fat grip guns (Glock!) and depending on many factors, they can be very workable.

We'll see.
    Glock would never make a 1911, Gaston's ego is WAY too big to have to admit in the name that it was designed by someone else. I mean it's not like he copied the idea of a polymer frame...oh wait...

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Glock would never make a 1911, Gaston's ego is WAY too big to have to admit in the name that it was designed by someone else. I mean it's not like he copied the idea of a polymer frame...oh wait...
    Lol just like JMB wasn't the first to design an auto-loading pistol, but what do he and GG both have in common? Both are thought of as the pioneers of their field because they did it the best.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'm an "equal opportunity" loather of plastic for firearms, myself.
    I'm a lover of the all steel guns! For sure.

My Colt Series 70 1911 is a treasure. My SAAs, original first gen SAAs that are 130+ years old and work like they are new - priceless to me.

But, for those who lock themselves away from the innovation of today's firearms, they miss a huge opportunity to use some of the lightest and best designed handguns ever made. Glocks, SW M&Ps, Sigs, Rugers, the list is endless. All great guns for today's shooters.

I'm not saying Glocks will, or could, ever replace my colt collection in heart and soul. Never!! But the guns of today, the polymer guns, have advantages that steel can't touch. You can call them plastic if you want - but it's some resilient, and robust plastic that has proven the test of durability, reliability, and for me - my trust.

I carry plastic on my hip everyday. I trust my life to it, and the lives of my family. Call it what you will, leave it alone if you must, but the only one missing out... is you.

This is simply the opinion of someone who loves old steel guns - heart and soul!
    saa.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by saa View Post
    I'm a lover of the all steel guns! For sure.

My Colt Series 70 1911 is a treasure. My SAAs, original first gen SAAs that are 130+ years old and work like they are new - priceless to me.

But, for those who lock themselves away from the innovation of today's firearms, they miss a huge opportunity to use some of the lightest and best designed handguns ever made. Glocks, SW M&Ps, Sigs, Rugers, the list is endless. All great guns for today's shooters.

I'm not saying Glocks will, or could, ever replace my colt collection in heart and soul. Never!! But the guns of today, the polymer guns, have advantages that steel can't touch. You can call them plastic if you want - but it's some resilient, and robust plastic that has proven the test of durability, reliability, and for me - my trust.

I carry plastic on my hip everyday. I trust my life to it, and the lives of my family. Call it what you will, leave it alone if you must, but the only one missing out... is you.

This is simply the opinion of someone who loves old steel guns - heart and soul!
    saa.

This is just me philosophizing but the innovation I see is centered in being less expensive to produce. This is a good thing as it makes ownership of handguns more attainable for more folks. Otherwise, they all fling projectiles about equally well.

I particularly don't want "lightest." I like weight and good balance in a handgun. "Best designed" is subjective and debatable. The "advantage" of plastic for the end user of the product goes right by me. No rusting? Pretty minor consideration unless one is supremely lazy about his firearms maintenance. Molded plastic holds distinct advantages for the manufacturer however.

I've made my peace with the fact that I'm simply not going to be one of "today's shooters." I'm still not finished playing with the guns that were popular and desirable when I took up the hobby.

Just because there are newer designs on the market doesn't mean one's trust is misplaced in the older designs that still serve well. Besides, they all use the same self-contained metallic cartridges.

I've been shooting my own handguns for 38 years now without benefit of plastic. I have 20, maybe 30 good shootin' years left in me. I'm sure I can get along without plastic for that much longer.

What if it actually wasn't I, or my generation who was "missing out?"
    Cuda66 and glockman10mm like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links