Gratuitous Photos on two Unneccessary .45s

This is a discussion on Gratuitous Photos on two Unneccessary .45s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just read of Bob Ford's passing and am feeling a little down. So I figured, why not cheer up a bit with some unnecessary ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gratuitous Photos on two Unneccessary .45s

Gratuitous Photos on two Unneccessary .45s

I just read of Bob Ford's passing and am feeling a little down. So I figured, why not cheer up a bit with some unnecessary gun pictures of two wholly unnecessary .45s? After all if not for him, I'd never have owned this thing.

You won out acparmed, I bought a 1911, and you're not even here to rub it in my face. I'll get you for that!

The Punisher grips were just too good to pass up. I had to shave a bit off the sides you can't see to get them to play nice with the ambi safety lever. For serious carry, I'd probably want some Alumagrips or Pachmayrs or something without a Punisher skull logo on it. But it's so delightfully tacky, I love those grips.

How does it shoot? Surprisingly well. I've been shooting it off and on since I got it a few months ago and was impressed by the reliability, especially considering everything you hear about 1911s. I can't say I've had a whole lot of rounds through it yet, maybe 4 boxes of cheap stuff if I'm lucky. I've spent most of my time manipulating it in dryfire, because the manual of arms is completely alien to me.

I don't actually carry it because I don't like external safeties on carry guns, I don't think I'm well trained enough to carry a gun with an external safety because I'm not used to it, and this is more of a luxury item than a practical tool for me. I'm used to DA, I see no reason to switch, but having a SA is kind of a dirty little pleasure.

But you could carry it, the quality is there, and it's easy to shoot, and easy to carry.

I have to admit I actually like this a lot more than most DA/SA guns I've tried. I like the consistency. I don't like one DA pull and the rest being SA, because then most of your shooting with that gun is SA and the first shot is the one that really counts.

I had a lot of trouble with the basic maintenance at first, seriously. I found the design counterintuitive and difficult to field strip in comparison to other guns. However after spending some time just taking it apart and putting it back together, I've overcome that. It's like some kind of secret handshake, once you figure it out, you've got it.

The skateboard tape is just great redneck engineering. Let's see $5 for a piece of tape or hundreds of bucks to get the front strap worked on... Best part is, a little Goo Gone, and it's like I never had it on there.

It came with the full length guide rod which I tossed in a bucket somewhere. It was a gently used gun, and parkerized, and the shop that sold it to me had marked the price down after it had been there for a year. The manager actually was the salesman and he told me he couldn't get rid of it and didn't understand why. It wasn't a truly great deal but it was very fair and I got a great deal on my trade, so it worked out.

I installed a USGI guide rod and I think I prefer it. No reliability issues with the Wilson magazine/ USGI rod combination. Can't even find the other rod any more.

The Springfield Armory magazines and one Kimber magazine I got with it were flaky and chitzny feeling. Even with their plastic followers, the Wilson 47Ds are much more confidence inspiring. I've been advised to try the Chip McCormicks, but my Wilsons work and I see no need to fix what isn't broken.

Is it the best 1911? No, I've seen and handled and even once shot some nicer pieces, but is it good enough for me and my purposes? Plenty. If I were going to seriously carry it every day, I'd want another finish. If I were getting it for a duty gun, I'd probably want the Operator. But for me, this is more than adequate.

I had my mitts on a stainless GI 45 at one point, and it wasn't quite up to what I wanted. This is. The beavertail, while I don't really need it, really changes the way the gun handles as does the extended ambidextrous safety. The higher grip really cinches the deal for me I think. Some real sights are a nice bonus too.

I had also considered waiting and seeing the Taurus 1911, but after I came across this, I decided a used Springfield I knew something about was just something I'd like better than a new Taurus that would be a bit of a crap shoot. Nothing against Taurus, it's just I'd rather have a used Chevy than a new Kia if that makes any sense, and this was probably as good as I was going to do at what I was willing to spend.

I'm not crazy about the parkerized finish, but at the price I paid it was worth it, and I don't actually carry it day in day out so I'm sure it will be fine if it's just wiped down with a little CLP every once in a while. I am grateful it's got a couple minor holster marks already so I don't feel like I have to molly coddle it.

I'm keeping it, and at this point I'm actually thinking I may have been foolish to rid myself of the other one even though I didn't like it. We live in an age of uncertainty, and 1911s are ubiquitous. It doesn't hurt to be nominally familiar with it at all. I am thinking I should at some point try to get another WW2 spec model because parts for it are so easy to come by. I've no desire to play gunsmith, but it would be nice to have something in the safe parts are so easily had for.

I've found that while I miss the economy of the 40 S&W cartridge, the .45 ACP is just too nice to shoot, especially a nice light load out of something like this:

While firing the .45 ACP out of the wheelgun is a lot more fun and imho more accurate, I can't help but agree that this is a bit too much to actually carry around with you, and the moon clips while fun to play with especially on the move, are not something I think is practical in the real world except maybe for a little BUG.

Still, if Texas ever does get open carry, I'd be packing this guy if I cared to partake.

Now do I strictly need either of these when I have the XD, which is cheaper, works just as well if not better, and is a lot more practical to carry around... well no, but there you go.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Outstanding tribute to Bob there Euc in purchasing the 1911! I'm positive that somewhere he is smiling in approval each time you put that gun in your hands.

Enjoy the guns and again, welcome "back."
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I don't understand "unnecessary"

How can a .45 be "unnecessary"? All of my .45s are necessary.

I like the way you think, pogo. When the zombies show up, I'll need all of them...

Assistant Administrator
    Real nice Euc and just a pity Bob is not with us still to enjoy those pics.

The 1911 will always exert its familiar magic
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Those .45's are growing on me like my .357/.38's....
    Nice 1911 and 625 !.....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

good pics

Man that is a sexy wheelgun!

very nice......I carry my kimber 1911 everyday. I love it. I also am known to carry my xd-40 too.... Sweet grips.

thanks. nice pics and a nice tribute.

I love that revolver - I just added it to my wish list.

Welcome back Euc-
    I have to ask where exactly did you get those Punisher grips?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Lead Moderator
    Very nice, now ya have me wanting to get a set. I considered it a while back, but had not made up my mind.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Very nice 1911's and that wheelgun has really got me drooling!

I have those exact grips on my 1911! I, too, had to shave off a bit (at the top) of each of them for the safety to function properly.

A1C,
    I'm not sure where he got his grips, but I got mine off of eBay. I'm sure if you just search something simple, like "Punisher Grips," they'll show up if someone's selling them. I can't remember what I paid for mine... $40-50 maybe, with shipping. That's just a guess.

Try Gunbroker - Punisher grip auction

Here are some 1911 "Punisher" grips for sale on Gunbroker for about $50:

Punisher grip auction on Gunbroker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links