A great taurus?!

A great taurus?!

This is a discussion on A great taurus?! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I just got back from the range after having put 100 trouble free rounds through my new 709 Slim, SS 9mm. And I used ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: A great taurus?!

A great taurus?!

Well, I just got back from the range after having put 100 trouble free rounds through my new 709 Slim, SS 9mm. And I used the PMC range ammo. Earlier this month, I got myself-- after selling another gun!--- a PX4 Storm, 9mm Inox (SS) model and had trouble with Remington UMC (?) from 250 rd. boxes I had gotten from Bass Pro last November: FTF or FTE every 3-4 rds. Went to higher priced ammo and had no trouble whatsoever.I guess the point is that even in a lower priced gun ( the 709), some cheaper ammo can do the job that can't be done in a higher (better?) priced gun like the Beretta full-size. Now, I love (?) my Beretta, but this Taurus-- for me-- shoots better than the Nano I sent to my son in Texas and this with cheap ammo. By the way, talk about P.T.Barnum and " a sucker born every minute", my local Target World has Nano's listed for $ 543 and a guy on Armslist has one listed for $ 700!! And I'll just bet some guy who never heard of old P.T. will buy it. What a world! " Stay thirsty ( for good guns), my friends!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Glad to hear you had a good experience with Taurus. It seems that they are hit and miss at best. I got shafted by them, so I personally would never buy another one.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Glad to hear you had a good experience with Taurus. It seems that they are hit and miss at best. I got shafted by them, so I personally would never buy another one.
    Add me to the shafted list as well. Don't know if I could trust one again. I will admit the PT 709 Slim feels good in my hand though. Glad to see a good report on one.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Senior Moderator
    I have had good luck with me 3 Taurus pistols and other than the long trigger pull on the PT-111 I have no real complaints
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I've had my PT709 Stainless for 5 years with over 2200 flawless rounds through it with many brands of ammo. Never any issues. Great little carry gun and fun to shoot. I enjoy the gun and have no concerns with it at all.

Many early issues with this model were due to people manually putting a round in the chamber and dropping the slide on it rather than chambering from the magazine. It has a fixed extractor not a spring loaded. Also, the manual says clean every 200 rounds. So I often take a bore snake and Gunzilla to the range.

My expectations of this particular firearm have been exceeded.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    I had a 709SS that made 2 trips back to Taurus, and they couldn't resolve the issues. Dumped it for a CW9 and have never looked back. I do have a PT1911 and had a PT140 that neither one of them had any issues. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have a 24/7 pro 9mm oss and i have never ever had a problem even shot some squirells with it last year lol. i love it and have over 5000 rounds down range.
    Philly Boy likes this.

100 trouble-free rounds? Wow.

I'm no Taurus hater (I also have a 709, actually), but 100 rounds isn't a very big sample size (unless it's by percentage of my total remaining 9mm stock, I mean).
    pgrass101 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Here is my PT111 mil pro I own. Just put brand new william fire sights on it.

I will say that when I got the gun originally it was screwed up. Blew magazines out while firing and wasn't accurate at all. Sent it into Taurus without paying a dime. They told me 6 weeks for repairs before they shipped back. I got the gun back in 2 weeks. The gun had a badly machined and misaligned grip frame. I originally tried putting 200 rounds through it thinking it was just a break in period problem. Definitely wasn't.

Since I got it back it's been flawless for 600 rounds now. Dead nuts accurate and zero problems with any ammo I've used. Mostly it's been the cheap stuff, but I tried a few rounds of higher priced ammo and a couple hollow points to make sure my defensive stuff would run through.

My philosophy on a firearm is this. Duds and screw ups happen. I have had and seen plenty of duds from other manufacturers for just about anything made on this planet. Buying a brand new dud of anything sucks, but the true telling point is how well the company handles it when a customer buys a dud from them. Taurus did fine by me thus far. Identified the problem, fixed it, and did it all without charging me anything.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post

I'm no Taurus hater (I also have a 709, actually), but 100 rounds isn't a very big sample size (unless it's by percentage of my total remaining 9mm stock, I mean).
    All true, but 100 rounds is about $82 worth of ammo (before tax) in this current hysteria up in my neck of the woods. Kinda difficult to go and plow through 500 rounds.

The transmission on my Taurus went out at 40,000 miles.
    Philly Boy and tsp_2177 like this.

Ive only had my PT 709 a few months. Had issues with the site so have put close to 1,000 rounds thru it at this point and have had no issues to date. My only issue is finding extra mags!

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post

I just wanted to add to the sample size......Before I sold my Taurus PT709 to a police officer that wanted to use it as a backup gun, I had close to 6000 problem free rounds though it. YES He knew the amount and told me he considered it properly broken in !!! About 10% of that was with +P and NATO 9mm rounds through it still using the original recoil spring assembly. I now have a Kahr PM9 and they recommend replacing the recoil spring on the Kahr at 1000-1500 rounds, if I had to do that with the PT709, I would have had to change it out 4-5 times at about $25 each time. Just wanted to share my exprience. God Bless
    Philly Boy likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Title is an oxymoron. Was that intentional? :)

Thanks for the positive report. I've received the PT709 as a gift about 2 months, ran 500+ rounds through it and not a single issue. It's a great gun and has replaced my Glock 19 as my EDC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links