Kahr CW45 or PM45?

Kahr CW45 or PM45?

This is a discussion on Kahr CW45 or PM45? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know I can't be the first one to try to decide which one of these for a new purchase and ask this question. If ...

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Kahr CW45 or PM45?

I know I can't be the first one to try to decide which one of these for a new purchase and ask this question. If already posted somewhere please past the link for it as a reply for me.

As mentioned - I'm fixin (yeah, I'm southern) to buy either a Kahr PM45 or Kahr CW45. If price were the same I'd go with the PM45 quick but since it's about $400 more for the PM45 I've got some thinking to do.

So - besides the small difference in size - what's your opinion/comments on this?

Holster availibility, night sights - anything I need to consider???

Thanks in advance.
    For God, Family and Country!

If you like the smaller size of the PM45 and want to save some bucks, you might want to wait until the CM45 becomes available later this year.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Realistically, only you can decide if the PM gives you $400 value for your money and needs.

Quote Originally Posted by krisspy View Post
    If you like the smaller size of the PM45 and want to save some bucks, you might want to wait until the CM45 becomes available later this year.
    Shouldn't be too long - it's on their website now showing "Coming Soon".
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I had a cm9 and loved it. The differences were mainly cosmetic. No fancy engraving, no match grade barrel, plastic staked front sight, etc on the CM9. It shot true, performed flawlessly, was super accurate, and easy to carry. The only issue I had was the limited supply of after market sights due to the plastic staked on front sight. There are not many options to replace it due to the lack of a dovetail, but there are a few. There are many holsters available in every style you could want.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Gave my PM9 to my oldest son when I bought the CW45.

The only gripe I had was the CW45 came with only one magazine.

I did send off for the free 7 round magazine (a promotion at that time), but that thing will not feed the 2nd round at all. Got two more 6 round mags, and they run very smoothly.

The plastic front sight is not an issue with me.
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

VIP Member
    Haven't had any dealings with the PM45 but carry a CW45 most days. Good shooting gun and availability of holsters isn't a problem.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Try to wrap your hands around each and see what your think. I have both a cw and cm, its like the pm for size. I enjoy shooting the cw more but the cm get carried more often. I can justfy night sites for the lower cost pistols if i want them. I don't. I'm fine with stock sights for aimed fire and practice a aimed point shooting to be used when light is low . Night sights take away from my peripheral, makes me want to change my focus to the sites. may sound odd to you.

If you can swing it, the PM45 is far superior. In the long run, you will be way happier with the pm. Trust me, I've owned one!

From my experience with Kahr, I just do not trust their feeding, and especially their magazines.

I would highly encourage you to look at a Glock 36 or even the newer XDs, if you are looking for a smaller single stack .45.

If you want smaller/lighter, take a look at the light weight snubbie revolvers.

JMHO.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I've had 5 Kahrs and a CW45 was one of them. No way is the PM45 $400 better in the same way that my PM9 was not $250 better than my CM9. The CW45 is also small enough to comfortably conceal AIWB. Long, but buttery smooth trigger.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Why compare a CW to PM. Should be P to a CW as both are the same size at 3 1/2"barrels or PM to the CM both 3"barrels ???

I've got a CW45, and it's a sweet shooter - stout with hot loads, but manageable. It was my CCW of choice, until I got a CM9.

Personally, I think the CW45 is as small as I'd choose to go with a .45 ACP. What you'd gain in concealability, you'd lose in controllability with follow-up shots, plus the loss of a round in capacity. In a PM/CM size, I much prefer the 9mm. FWIW.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Links