Tried some more revolvers

This is a discussion on Tried some more revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I feel like I should have a revolver just because so I shot a few. Ladysmith: awful. SP101: much better Taurus (I forget what model) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Tried some more revolvers

I feel like I should have a revolver just because so I shot a few.
    Ladysmith: awful.
    SP101: much better
    Taurus (I forget what model) pretty good

I'm not sold though. I grew up with semi autos, so I'd get a revolver just to round out my collection but I like shooting my sa and da/sa pistols better.

It was good to try something new though.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I haven't broken down to the urge to have a nice S&W wheelie yet but will readily admit I've never shot a semi as accurately as I have a Ruger Blackhawk.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    What model Lady Smith did you try?

My S&W 65-2 has about the smoothest trigger of any pistol I have ever shot.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I love both of my SP101s and would highly recommend them. But I do prefer my 3" model over my 2" model.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

why not try a S&W K-frame? 2-1/2" for CC. 4" for a more all around gun. 3", if you can find one, for a good compromise.

very smooth trigger, nice size. better not to feed it a steady diet of magnum ammo - stick to standard pressure, +P, and even +P+.

if you can't find a K-frame you like, or you really want a new gun, try the Smith L-frame, which is slightly larger, but able to take magnum ammo all day long.
    bmcgilvray and SWIll like this.

Really? Wow, I mean the list you put is absolutely backwards for me.
    bmcgilvray and wheelyfun101 like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Really? Wow, I mean the list you put is absolutely backwards for me.
    Agreed.

I have 4 S&W wheelies and one SP101...and the Smiths are like driving an Escalade while the Ruger is like driving a Hummer. Both are exceptional in their own right .

My opinion...Smiths have the best triggers while Rugers are beastly tough.

Taurus...I bought one once, and ended up giving it away.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    why not try a S&W K-frame? 2-1/2" for CC. 4" for a more all around gun. 3", if you can find one, for a good compromise.

very smooth trigger, nice size. better not to feed it a steady diet of magnum ammo - stick to standard pressure, +P, and even +P+.

if you can't find a K-frame you like, or you really want a new gun, try the Smith L-frame, which is slightly larger, but able to take magnum ammo all day long.
    Did you mean to use .38 in +P and +P+? I don't think .357 in 158gr loads are normally a problem. My understanding is problems can be encountered using 125gr ammo due to higher pressures on the forcing cone. .38s to do not reach the same high levels.

I love my SP101 2.4 and S&W Mod 60 ported for a fast trip to the store S&W 642 ported

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The LCR is very nice. Love the light weight and the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    Did you mean to use .38 in +P and +P+? I don't think .357 in 158gr loads are normally a problem. My understanding is problems can be encountered using 125gr ammo due to higher pressures on the forcing cone. .38s to do not reach the same high levels.
    I have heard the same in regards to K frame Smiths. I have a 66-1 6" .357 that I bought used several months ago. VERY nice gun and the trigger in single action is so light and smooth that it's on the brink of being a hair trigger.

Anyway...the K frame has a forcing cone that is flattened on the bottom to accommodate the crane, therefore it is considered a weak point by some and shooting a steady diet of 125g full house magnums is considered a possible source of forcing cone erosion and eventual failure. I have been told to shoot 158g ammo due to lower velocities and pressures to keep said erosion from happening. Then on the other side of the coin...I have been told that it takes THOUSANDS of rounds of the higher pressure magnums to cause any kind of an issue...and to just shoot my gun.

I don't shoot it that often, but I just stick to the 158g magnums anyway.

Now you can get an L-frame and blast whatever magnum load you prefer until the cows come home! A 4" 686 would be a very formidable weapon and quite desirable.

Ruger...built like a Mack truck and can take whatever you want to dish out.

My Model 13-3 was made in the 1980's and has seen many thousands of magnums with no issues.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    My Model 13-3 was made in the 1980's and has seen many thousands of magnums with no issues.
    Love a ruger 44 super red hawk and my wife loves her s&w 38 revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerktm View Post
    I feel like I should have a revolver just because so I shot a few.
    Ladysmith: awful.
    SP101: much better
    Taurus (I forget what model) pretty good

I'm not sold though.

There are a lot of different revolvers, and due to the positioning of the bore axis, the barrel length, overall weight and balance of the gun, there are tremendous differences in how some of them handle. If you're intent on finding something that behaves a certain way, then by all means state your ideal goals for shootability characteristics, ergonomics, concealability (if an issue), reliability/durability, etc. I'm sure folks can quickly recommend a number of good options to check out.

Uncertain whether you're looking for a range monkey or a concealable carry gun.

The Ruger SP-101 .357mag is about as nice as you're going to get for a rugged, well-made revolver that's small enough to carry easily but heavy enough to be kinder with recoil. The S&W Model 60, IMO, is roughly comparable.

Knowing what we know so far, that you've tried a few and found them wanting, I might suggest the following:

• Ruger Redhawk .44mag -- ie, KRH-444 #5026, 4.2" bbl, 9.5" OAL, 47oz. About as nicely-balanced and decently shooting a revolver as you're likely to find.

• Ruger GP100 .357mag -- ie, KGP-141 #1705, same basic Redhawk format but in .357mag and 40oz.

• S&W 686 Plus .357mag -- ie, #164300, 3" bbl, 8.2" OAL, 37oz. Nicely balanced, small enough to carry easily.

• S&W Model 29 .44mag -- ie, #150255, 6rds, 4" bbl, 9.25" OAL, 44oz. Wonderful in the hand, great to shoot. Many people swear by this model. A bit large to carry, harder to conceal surely. But a peach on the range or in the field.

• S&W Model 60 .357mag -- ie, #162430, 5rd, 3" bbl, 7.5" OAL, 24.5oz. Easily concealed, light enough to make a difference, but heavy enough to tame much of the recoil. A great-shooting compact, on the J-frame.

• Charter Arms .357mag Pug or .44mag Bulldog -- Roughly the size of the S&W Model 60. Shoots a bit differently, IMO, due to the different bore-axis and balance. A budget alternative to some of the S&W's.

• Taurus, in the UltraLight, CIA and Protector series -- A variety of concealable revolvers similar in size to the S&W J-frame units. Variety of weights, balance. I've shot a couple Taurus revolvers, though I don't recall which specific ones they were. Nice feel in the hand. A softer "ribbed" grip option that helps tame recoil. A budget alternative to comparable S&W units.

On many of the revolvers, you can swap to different grips. As you might guess, some of these can make a huge difference in the ergonomics and how they shoot, how they tame recoil.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If you just wnat to shoot .38 spl's, it's tough to beat a S&W Model 10 or 15. I you feel the .357 mag need, you can step it up to a Model 13 or 19. Then there are the SS equivalents too. Depending on your needs, you can figure out what barrel length you want. But, 3" barrel K frames are getting pretty scarce right now.
    bmcgilvray and Rigrat like this.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links