Springfield Micro Compact

This is a discussion on Springfield Micro Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today my brother and I were at our favorite local gun store, and he ended up buying a Springfield Micro Compact. It seem very similar ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Micro Compact

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

Today my brother and I were at our favorite local gun store, and he ended up buying a Springfield Micro Compact. It seem very similar to my Ultra Carry II, just a bit heavier. We haven't shot it yet, but will give a range report.
    Does anyone have a SMC, and what has been your experience?
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Of all the guns I've owned over the years, the Micro Compact tops the list as the worst of them all. After quite a lot of gunsmith work, and $$$, it still isn't a gun that I'd feel confortable carrying. Other folks must feel the same way, because I had mine on consignment at the gun shop for 90 days, and it didn't get an offer. I sure hope your brother doesn't have the problems many others have had.

I'm just the opposite and know several people who have them and love them. First 100 rounds of break in had a few FTF's, since then not a miss with ball, efmj or hollow points. The local gun shop can't get enough of them, they go fast and report few problems with them. I suspect there may have been some issues early on but now they seem to be pretty good.

They do benefit from a quick breach face polish (mine was a little rough) and ramp polish and don't stint the lube. Mine likes it's oil and that seems a common comment I hear among happy owners. Technique is important, they don't like limp wristing but then my Colt won't tolerate it either.

My holster maker says he's built around 150 rigs for them and everyone liked the gun. He finally tried one himself and was favorably impressed.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Administrator
    Seems like I just posted about my micro compact on here, but I could not find it.

I had one, it need lots of work to make it right. It had the wrong springs, and a cracked sear from the factory. Long story short, I replaced everything except the frame, slide and barrel. I ended up with one expensive safe queen. It was a bad ass little carry gun, but I never trusted it much, thats why its gone now.

I have a SA Ultra Compact, slightly longer slide than the Micro. I love mine. At first I had FTE's, but once I changed the extractor, no problems. It is a shame however, I had to change the extractor for it to work properly. But than again, my friend's Kimber TLR II has had FTF's and FTE's straight from the box. He jokes saying that it's the perfect gun to train with, because you learn how to clear stoppages real quickly.

The only thing it hasn't failed him was the magazine release button.

I have one that I carry on a regular basis. Have not had any problems of any sorts with it. I've run a variety of ammo through it, shot it strong hand & weak hand. It's performed as advertised.

I have one that I carry constantly. It is a fine weapon. I've had no problems. I think any manufacturer can produce a lemon at times. The whole class of weapons shouldn't get a bad name because someone got a lemon.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

I just got an Ultra Compact with a 2-stage recoil spring/plug assembly. So far so good. Almost makes me want to unload my 9mm's.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    well, I have a mini range report. the first 50 rounds, many ftf, and return to battery. we changed
    1. mags to wilson combat
    2. adjusted a tight extractor
    3. polished feed ramp
    4. polished loaded chamber indicator notch!!!***** there was a burr on it that was shaving metal off the FMJ casing...
    next 50 rounds ZERO problems....and very accurate
    brought it home have it a complete cleaning and relubing, and can't wait until the next session, probably sat. we will put 200+ more rounds through it.
    My impression...a little heavier than my Ultra CarryII, but very similar, and I would recommend....for now. will report later.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Hi, snow. I had a micro but sold it fairly recently to buy another small 1911. I remember that when I first ran the micro, it bobbled a few times, but it smoothed out real well after a couple of hundred rounds. I don't remember all the details, but I do remember that it failed to lock open on the last round, and it failed to strip the last round from the factory mag. I have used Tripp's for awhile now, especially in my alloy framed Commander (I'm admittedly overly anal-retentive about eatin' up the feed ramp with an unsupported follower), and those solved the problem.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

I have an SA Micro Compact and love it -
    A few notes:

1. The stock SA mags were having trouble on the last round. The metal followers were a bit stiff. I changed them out for a pair of Wilsons and a couple of Paras - no problems since.
    2. Make sure the feed ramp is smooth - a little buffing won't hurt, either. Since the feed ramp is at a steeper angle than full sized 1911's, pay close attention to it.
    3. I'm not a big believer of the "break in" period, but I'll say that the first couple hundred rounds through the Micro will tell you where your problems are - if you have any.
    4. 1911's are tightly engineered to begin with; the ultra/micro models even more so - even the slightest thing can cause problems. Even the Kimbers and Paras have had problems; SA isn't alone.

The Micro-Compact is a great weapon - for me. Some have not had good experiences with them, but some have. Just like anything else.

I have a Springfield Micro Compact in the Bi-tone. It shoots very well and it digests anything I feed it. I have no FTF or FTE or stovepipes. I love this little 45. Maybe, I was one of the lucky ones. Steve 48

Wow! Certainly seems to be a concensus here (or at least almost)! The gun should run fine after a little workout or two, and if it doesn't, a swap to premium mags seems to help quite a bit. I've heard lots of folks swear by the Wilson mags, but I don't believe I've ever even tried them. The Tripp Cobras do so well in my guns, that I just stick with those. The follower is supported BIG time, and even the angle of the top round in the mag is a little flatter to allow more in-line feeding into the chamber. I just love them.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Wilson mags are all I use for my 1911's. Chip McCormic mags are good too, lots of 1911 shooters I know use McCormic and love them. Both will improve the reliability of your 1911.

I've got a SA Micro Compact, and like others here after some shooting and minor adjustments I have had no problems. Many sessions with many rounds and no FTF after a few in the first couple trips to the range (back yard, Kentucky's great).
    Great gun and the 5" GI model is also a great gun. I don't carry either as my primary, but not because I don't trust them, I'm just more comfortable/familar with my Glock.
    IMO, Good gun for CCW .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links