Colt Custom Gov range report with pics

This is a discussion on Colt Custom Gov range report with pics within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was very happy with the Colt. I fired two hundred rounds of mixed fodder and I am satisified that this gun is good to go ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Colt Custom Gov range report with pics

Was very happy with the Colt. I fired two hundred rounds of mixed fodder and I am satisified that this gun is good to go right out of the box. So hang with me as I try and piece together my impression, thoughts and performance with the gun together.

The first thing I did was load the 2 eight round mags that came with the Colt 48 hours ago. This was Thursday night. I did this to give allow them to take a "set" and be what they will be during the first shooting of the gun. It has been my experience with the 1911 that the magazines are always the potential problem.

I also loaded the mags with my hot handloads of 230 weight ball ammo under copious amounts of Unique powder. My intention here was to run it hard and get it dirty. If its gonna break or show signs of problems, I want to go ahead and bring that out. Also, my "range and plinking" handloads are assembled quickly and with not alot of QC, so if it fed these OK with that tight National Match barrel, I would not have to shoot my carry ammo by the hundreds thru it to feel confident.

For the range, I took the gun apart and applied a light coat of Tetra Gun grease to the barrel, locking lugs, slide rails, and barrel hood. The reason I did this was two fold. Number 1, I was going to shoot hard and get the gun hot, so I wanted the metal to metal fit to wear in, but prevent premature wear or scoring. NUMBER 2, grease collects burnt powder and debris, and doesnt let it move around which can cause fouling issues that induce mechanical malfunctions such as sluggish operation.

Doesnt make sense does it? Kind of counter productive? But, there is a method to the maddness here. While offering full protection, I still wanted to shoot it hard and fast, get it smoking hot, and see what it would do even before loosening up. If you do this to a pistol, you dont need to shoot 500 round thru them for break in, and you can save money and time.

The first 3 mags, two factory and 1 Wilson 47D, fired a total 23 rounds mixed with my handloads and Winchester Ranger without a hitch. I continued shooting at a distance of 10 yards loading and shooting as quickly as I could. I had 2 failures to go completely into battery somewhere after about 10 mags full, that simply required a little push from my thumb to the back of the slide to resolve, and one round of Winchester Ranger that failed to completely feed. However, as I dropped the mag to clear it, it popped right in on its own. I attribute this to the now completely fouled chamber of the tight National Match barrel.

I continued to shoot until I had exhausted my ample supply of handloads, and began on the 60 remaining Winchester white box fodder. Everything worked fine, although I could tell the action was getting sluggish.

The impressions I got were that the front sight is a Novak fiber optic type which works well, but I am still undecided on keeping it. It is not conductive to allowing the best accuracy potential from the tight fitting NM barrel. But it is certainly easy to see if there is some light, but a Night sight, it is not.

The thin grips feel absolutely great in the hand, and they will stay on the gun. To me, they do tend to fatigue the hand more during extended shooting, but in real world use they are comfortable and allow a better access to the fire control mechanisms.

The memory pad on the grip safety is comfortable, and doesnt poke the web of the shooting hand, but it gives you an absolutely positive engagement of the palm safety. It is very well designed indeed.

Accuracy much better than needed. Here is a pic of 10 yard groups fired in fairly rapid pace to get the gun hot.

Here is a pic of that target from my perspective

After I was satisfied it was working up to my standards functionally, I took it back to the 25 yard line for some head shot work. I fired these mags slower, as one would if taking a shot. However, the pancakes I ate prior to the range session was causing me to get a little shaky, but its still obvious how easy it is to shoot this gun well

Overall, I can tell you I am highly pleased with this Colt. Althoug it was covered in messy greasy black goo by the end of my test, and being sluggish, it still functioned properly. The few bobbles that occurred were expected for a new gun, especially one this tight. There is absolutely no visible play between the slide and frame fit even after this test.

Heres a pic of the gun after shooting. Note: I had loaded and holstered it prior to leaving the range, so the holster kind of cleaned off some of the black grime. It was much, much worse prior to holstering.

In conclusion, I would like to say that for me, I am more interested in a gun that is highly accurate and shootable. I dont mind a few bobbles in a couple hundred rounds. As long as it will feed 3 or more mags with complete reliability and dead nuts accuracy I am fine. And it seems the Colts made these days will do way more than that, even when dirty.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Nice writeup--thanks! Do you have any more pics of the pistol, both assembled and taken down to see the fouling and results of the hard use prior to cleaning?
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    Nice writeup--thanks! Do you have any more pics of the pistol, both assembled and taken down to see the fouling and results of the hard use prior to cleaning?
    Sorry, no. It never occurred to me to do that. I just cleaned it up, and have her back in the holster on my hip. I can tell you though the barrel, feed ramp, and chamber were very grimy. Also the bushing and muzzle area had alot of black residue.

To carry, I cleaned it with just a field strip, and put a light coat of CLP on the moving parts, which from past experience with the Colt 1911 is adequate for ED use, and should be relubed every week. I have found the Colts just dont need to be saturated with alot of lube to work fine, which goes against everything we tend to hear about 1911 design guns.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

OD*
    Excellent write-up, Gman.

NUMBER 2, grease collects burnt powder and debris, and doesnt let it move around which can cause fouling issues that induce mechanical malfunctions such as sluggish operation.
    What you unconsciously did was an old 1911 pistolero trick, don't clean the pistol for several hundred rounds, just keep adding oil, the burnt power and oil make a very fine lapping compound, smooths the pistols up right nicely.
    WC145 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

You Sir, are a marksman. feels damn good when you tear up the range with a new gun you cant miss with.

Administrator
    Nice review.

"I had 2 failures to go completely into battery somewhere after about 10 mags full, that simply required a little push from my thumb to the back of the slide to resolve,"

I can tell you exactly how that happens on a new 1911.
    When a Colt factory 1911 is spanky new the locking lugs on the barrel & the slide lugs are (naturally) freshly machined and hard edge crisp.
    So even though they will perfectly mate - sometimes on a brand new pistol the barrel lugs will just not quite pop up into their respective slide recesses just barely keeping the firearm from going into battery.

Most custom 1911 smiths will usually very lightly break the front edges of the barrel lugs and the rear edges of the slide lugs BUT, you can just shoot the gun as you have just done and that will accomplish the same task AKA you can just shoot them in.
    WC145 and msgt/ret like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for the write up and pics. Looks like you've got yourself a fine piece that will serve you well for years to come. Might be time to change your name to ColtMan45.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Excellent write-up, Gman.

What you unconsciously did was an old 1911 pistolero trick, don't clean the pistol for several hundred rounds, just keep adding oil, the burnt power and oil make a very fine lapping compound, smooths the pistols up right nicely.
    I'll be! Maybe I'm smarter than everyone says! I didnt know that this was an old trick, but it just seemed to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Nice review.

"I had 2 failures to go completely into battery somewhere after about 10 mags full, that simply required a little push from my thumb to the back of the slide to resolve,"

I can tell you exactly how that happens on a new 1911.
    When a Colt factory 1911 is spanky new the locking lugs on the barrel & the slide lugs are (naturally) freshly machined and hard edge crisp.
    So even though they will perfectly mate - sometimes on a brand new pistol the barrel lugs will just not quite pop up into their respective slide recesses just barely keeping the firearm from going into battery.

Most custom 1911 smiths will usually very lightly break the front edges of the barrel lugs and the rear edges of the slide lugs BUT, you can just shoot the gun as you have just done and that will accomplish the same task AKA you can just shoot them in.
    That makes sense to me. My older Colt is smoother than ice on ball bearings from the shooting. But if I remember correctly it did loosen up a tad after my 200 round thru the ringer. This one is still tight, which is fine with me, either way, they still work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    You Sir, are a marksman. feels damn good when you tear up the range with a new gun you cant miss with.
    Thanks for the compliment, but this gun will make anyone look good! But it is especially nice to have a gun that hits where you aim.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    Thanks for the write up and pics. Looks like you've got yourself a fine piece that will serve you well for years to come. Might be time to change your name to ColtMan45.
    I would if the Mods would allow it.

Stop shooting.......you have a problem.....all the boolits are going through the same hole......No fair.

Good writeup!

I wonder if my 3 1911s would get jealous if I brought another one home!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Great write up on what appears to be an excellent pistol! I'd love to see some pics of the gun after its all cleaned up too. Its nice to show off to people who care.

You shot it extremely well on the first date. ...imagine how well the two of you will work together after getting to know one another!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Good writeup!

I wonder if my 3 1911s would get jealous if I brought another one home!
    There's always an empty stall in the stable!
    WC145 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links