New player in the market.

This is a discussion on New player in the market. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stopped by my lgs to see if they had any 22lr ammo. Ya right none. So i was lookin in the display case and saw ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New player in the market.

New player in the market.

Stopped by my lgs to see if they had any 22lr ammo. Ya right none. So i was lookin in the display case and saw a neat looking 9mm A lionheart. I asked the guy about it. And its imported from a company in Washington state from Korea. I thought it looked kinda familiar like a gun Ive seen before. So I looked it up. And yes the former Daewoos if any of you remember them. Dont know if there any good or not. But they come with a limited lifetime warranty. They looked good I just thought they were a bit pricey. From about $550 on up to close to $700. Something new to check out.

2. Remove Ads

First I heard of this brand.
    I checked out some photos...interesting.
    Hope to find some reviews on them.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I just took a look at their 'double-action plus' safety set-up.
    I really don't see any benefit to the design.
    The gun does seem to be of decent quality though.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Does look to be of decent quality

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Does look like a pretty good pistol but I would have thought the price would have been lower.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I bought a surplus daewoo DP51, in 2009 for $200. The Daewoo DP51 became the ROK Army issue handgun with the Daewoo K1 and K2 rifles. The K1 battle rifle & K2 carbine replaced the M16 in the early 1990's. I fired a few hundred rounds through mine with no problems and it was well made and accurate. I traded it plus cash for very popular used Austrian handgun, mistake on my part. Daewoo company has/had a bad reputation for many of their commercial products, cars, refrigerators, electronics etc, but a good reputation for their hanguns and rifles. The Daewoo was caught up in the Clinton weapons ban an experienced some financial problems about the same time and the company was sold at the behest of the Korean government.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

A friend here just put them in his shop and let me play with a couple. They feel okay and have a nice trigger for the price, but I just can't see myself buying a Korean gun any more than I can see myself buying a Korean car.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInEdmonds View Post
    A friend here just put them in his shop and let me play with a couple. They feel okay and have a nice trigger for the price, but I just can't see myself buying a Korean gun any more than I can see myself buying a Korean car.
    I'd buy a Hyundai or Kia any day over a Ford, Chevy, GMC, or Dodge.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I have a Hyundai. Actually, I have owned two of them and they are excellent. If and when I need a new car, I would put it at the top of my list.

However, I just bought a SCCY 9mm for several reasons. 1. They are made in the USA 2. They have a lifetime warranty and as someone who is very new to handgun ownership, I felt that was something I needed for my own peace of mind 3. The price. I got mine new for $297.48 this Thursday, right in the middle of all this craziness.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Lionheart looks kinda like a smaller copy of that DA Colt that was out.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

its the re-birth of the Daewood DP51 which were excellent guns. Too bad the re-birth did not include the very reasonable prices of the Daewoo when it
    was available.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

You really cannot underestimate the quality of Korean products lately. The past ten years have seen them skyrocket in both feature, fit and finish, and overall quality. The fact is that most South Korean companies recognized their poor image and sought to rebuild themselves and shed their old failures. Hence why the afore mentioned Hyundai (and subsidiary Kia) are actually some of the best new cars on the road, dollar for dollar. Same with Samsung products.

I think the price is a bit high for them to jump back into the market with, BUT on the other hand people often say "you get what you pay for" so if they price themselves at the mid-range, a lot of peoples' "gut-instinct" could be altered simply because of it.

I'd give one a shot, pun intended :)

edit: I will admit the operating description of their "double action +" is a bit odd. So...I pull the hammer back, then physically push it back up, from there out I can pull the trigger part way and it cocks the hammer, but won't fire unless I continue to pull the trigger, or release the trigger and it stays locked. I fail to see the improvement from a standard cock-and-lock system.

They -do- come with a nice set of kit though, from the factory.

I would love to see some impressions from someone who has shot one of these.
    NewtownSam likes this.

Lot of good foreign made 9mm around. I Stick with Ruger, S&W ect we need the jobs at least until they are band
    NewtownSam likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links