Shooting The SIG P229R Enhanced Elite 9mm...and First Impressions.

This is a discussion on Shooting The SIG P229R Enhanced Elite 9mm...and First Impressions. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The latest Sig acquisition has come home from layaway purgatory, and after getting it home and giving it a good initial cleaning and lube job...I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JT353
  • 1 Post By JT353

Thread: Shooting The SIG P229R Enhanced Elite 9mm...and First Impressions.

The latest Sig acquisition has come home from layaway purgatory, and after getting it home and giving it a good initial cleaning and lube job...I couldn't wait to get out and see how this baby handles. Now I'm not a Sig newbie, but this is the first time I have ever shot a Sig in any configuration, in 9mm, so it wasn't a surprise to me that the accuracy was spot on as well as reliability...but what DID surprise me was how soft shooting this gun was in said caliber. Without having to go into a lot of detail on accuracy, Sig-o-philes know that they are (IMHO) one of the most 'out of the box' accurate pistols on the market and as far as reliable...1. Aim and squeeze trigger 2. BANG! 3. Wash, repeat...without fail.

What I was really curious to mess with, was the SRT (short reset trigger) and see if it made any difference in my follow up shots. So first of all, I just took a shot and held the trigger back and released to reset slowly, before taking the next shot. Before long, after I was able to get a feel for it, I was able to double tap pretty decently and my accuracy wasn't suffering TO terribly bad...so needless to say...I like it!
    Also...as far as felt recoil...I know 9mm is a comfortable round to shoot but in this gun, it felt so soft that it almost felt like shooting a 380. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that it is an all metal gun and the P229 is known to have a little heft, but all in all, I was really pleased with how comfortable this gun felt in hand as the lead was launching downrange. I can see myself shooting this gun quite frequently as it's just a real pleasure to experience.

10 yards out...with flyers due to getting used to the SRT...

I'm very pleased with this gun and I'm sure the more I shoot it...the happier I'll be!

Ranger45 likes this.

Awesome. Love the 229 in 9mm, by far my favorite gun. Good report, enjoy that baby, she's gorgeous. Going to invest in the upgrade package with my 229R soon, can't wait for the SRT.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Nice. That's my son's duty weapon. He's pretty good with it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That is one heck of a GUN. I myself just started shooting last Nov. Purchased my first gun (Ruger SR40C) Sometime in the next 365 days, i'd like to purchase a second. I am undecided if I want to remain in the same caliber, or go 9mm. Sig would be a High end gun for me, but it is on my wish list. (I also like the Glocks either 26 or 27 carry models).

My question is on the Beavertail. I shot a friends 1911 (he was using it with me to correct flaws in my grip and trigger pull) . Does it serve a purpose when shooting, or is it there for aesthetics ? (I'm a newbie, I really don't know). I notice the standard P229 doesn't have it?

In regards to the beavertail...I asked the same question as far as actual need in this platform. I have 1911's that all have a beavertail grip safety, and in my opinion they're a need if you experience hammer bite...however in the case of the P229 or any other 'Elite' model Sig, I think a lot of it is either aesthetics and/or giving the shooter the ability to get a higher grip on the gun. My other P229 .40 is the regular Nitron model and doesn't have it and I don't see any real difference between the two in the way I grip them.

The differences between the Elite and the regular models is SRT, beavertail, checkered front strap, front checkering of the trigger guard and front cocking serrations. From what I can tell, those are the only differences.
    Kennydale likes this.

JT353. thanks for the report. You have a very nice gun! I also have a 9mm P229 but the regular model. It's my favorite gun. I also have the P226 and the P239. The SRT is sweet. It can also be dangerous. I let fly two rounds down range one time on my friend's P226 Elite without intending to so be very careful. Be safe and enjoy the gun!

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

The SIG 229 Elite is an excellent gun. I bought an Elite 9mm as well and have shot a lot of rounds through it already. Smooth and very accurate. But that is a SIG for you. Built like a tank. My only modification is I added the Black aluminum grips for a stronger look. The wood grips are in storage.
    Here it is before the aluminum grips then shot after:
    Photo Sep 26, 7 17 27 AM (1).jpg
    Photo Mar 04, 9 41 32 PM.jpg
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Yessir. They shoot sweet.

Sponsored Links