The Steyr M9-A1...Intrigues me.

This is a discussion on The Steyr M9-A1...Intrigues me. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So as usual...I go to the range and get my shooting done, then I find myself wandering over to the gun displays to test my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The Steyr M9-A1...Intrigues me.

So as usual...I go to the range and get my shooting done, then I find myself wandering over to the gun displays to test my will power...which by the way...never turns out well for my wallet, LOL.

I admit, I know absolutely nothing about the Steyr handguns except that they're made in Austria, striker fired, have the trapezoid sights and they're (ahem) rather 'interesting' to look at. Over the past couple years, I have looked at several different ones as I browse around the gun counters, but I always handed them back to the salesman and continued on my way. Well the other day when I was over there picking up a layaway...I noticed an M9-A1 laying in the case, so once again I asked to look at it. I don't know what it was, but this time, I found myself taking a real hard look at it.

So getting home, I get on the 'net and start researching. Come to find out...the people who own them, really seem to speak highly of them. I dug around in this forum and did a couple searches and found a few threads with some interesting posts, as well as finding the steyrclub.com forum.

To make a long story short, I put it on layaway...

What I did like right off, were the sights. They seemed to be very easy to acquire and I can see quick target acquisition as the result...also, the trigger wasn't bad as well as it having a defined reset. This particular gun comes with two magazines with plus 1 extensions which takes it 17+1 in the pipe. Thats NOT BAD in regards to firepower. Other than that, I don't know until I shoot it.

If anyone has an opinion either way on these guns, I would like to read what you have to say. I know these guns aren't winning any popularity contests...meaning...they aren't as well known and distributed as the other striker fired guns that come from Austria ...but from what I have read so far and actually fondling the pistol, it intrigues me enough to want to give it a try. The price isn't out of this world and if I don't end up liking it...I can always sell it if need be, but here's to hoping it never comes to that.
    .XX likes this.

VIP Member
    I don't know a thing about them, but that's an odd looking thing to say the least.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I've never handled one, but I have been interested in them for a while. I'd like the looks much more if the muzzle end wasn't so blocky.

Re: The Steyr M9-A1...Intrigues me.

I have shot one. It was years ago and ill be honest I wasn't very good at shooting back then (infact I'm not sure I'm much better now) lol. I do remember I really like the sights. I found them easy to use. I didn't have any ftfs or anything through the 100 rounds I put in it. I would love to pick one up and I'm sure you will enjoy it. For what its worth the guy at the shop told me that it was developed by someone who used to work for Glock. But I can't confim that.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

The only Steyr pistol I've ever fired was the GB and it was a sweet shooter with recoil like a .22lr, due to its gas brake system and metal frame. The M9-A1 looks interesting to say the least. If you hold it on the barrel end and chuck it really hard, it looks like it might come right back to you.
    RadarContact likes this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Re: The Steyr M9-A1...Intrigues me.

I like them. My father has one. Ive shot it a decent amount and it seems nice. I believe the company has some sort of relation to glock.

If you take a look at the picture youll notice that there is an angle built into the gun on purpose. At the back of the slide there is little polymer grip underneath and as you progress towards the front it gets thicker unlike many standard firearms that are boxy and have straighter lines. The intended purpose was to create an angle of sorts that reduced muzzle flip or something along those lines.

Thats about all I know. Shoots well imo.

I love the sight picture as well.

”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    I noticed that on the Steyr forum as well. I'm not really to worried about it; if my gun falls into the serial numbers listed, i'll just send it off and let them handle it.
    They mention that if the need comes up...they'll send you a pre-paid overnight shipping label and then overnight it back to you. They mention they will make every effort to get it back in one week, and will send either a soft case or a spare mag for the inconvenience. That sounds like pretty top notch CS to me! From what I've read, their customer service is above par, and thats a good thing.

Yeah I understand it's a rather different looking pistol, but I thought the same thing about the OTHER manufacturer from Austria as well, LOL. To me...the proof is in the pudding. How it handles, how it shoots, and is it reliable...those are the questions that matter to me when dealing with a gun I know NOTHING about.

I went thru the same thing with my CZ P-07. That gun, now...is probably my favorite out of every handgun I own. No BS!.

Quote Originally Posted by JT353 View Post
    So as usual...I go to the range and get my shooting done, then I find myself wandering over to the gun displays to test my will power...which by the way...never turns out well for my wallet, LOL.

I admit, I know absolutely nothing about the Steyr handguns except that they're made in Austria, striker fired, have the trapezoid sights and they're (ahem) rather 'interesting' to look at. Over the past couple years, I have looked at several different ones as I browse around the gun counters, but I always handed them back to the salesman and continued on my way. Well the other day when I was over there picking up a layaway...I noticed an M9-A1 laying in the case, so once again I asked to look at it. I don't know what it was, but this time, I found myself taking a real hard look at it.

So getting home, I get on the 'net and start researching. Come to find out...the people who own them, really seem to speak highly of them. I dug around in this forum and did a couple searches and found a few threads with some interesting posts, as well as finding the steyrclub.com forum.

To make a long story short, I put it on layaway...

What I did like right off, were the sights. They seemed to be very easy to acquire and I can see quick target acquisition as the result...also, the trigger wasn't bad as well as it having a defined reset. This particular gun comes with two magazines with plus 1 extensions which takes it 17+1 in the pipe. Thats NOT BAD in regards to firepower. Other than that, I don't know until I shoot it.

If anyone has an opinion either way on these guns, I would like to read what you have to say. I know these guns aren't winning any popularity contests...meaning...they aren't as well known and distributed as the other striker fired guns that come from Austria ...but from what I have read so far and actually fondling the pistol, it intrigues me enough to want to give it a try. The price isn't out of this world and if I don't end up liking it...I can always sell it if need be, but here's to hoping it never comes to that.
    I too would like to find one somehow to shoot but, like you, know zero practically about them and never see any. Give us a good range report if you have it and shoot it.

Not gonna lie - I actually dig it appearance wise. Can't wait to hear how it shoots!

I'll most definitely give you guys a range report when I get it in my possession. I look forward to seeing how it handles.

Sponsor
    I had a Steyr M9A1 for a few years. I'm sorry that I sold it but I acquired a few new shooters from the proceeds, so it's a wash in that regard.

I loved the Steyr. The Trap sights take a little getting used to but they grow on you quickly. My trigger was very smooth out of the box but some have complained about the trigger so YMMV.

I see that you have found the Steyr club forum, they're are great bunch congregating there.

Let us know what you think after you get some trigger time in.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Here's a decent little video breakdown of the Steyr M-A1 that was kind of interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uscfKmcX_Q

That is another wish list gun for me.... When you finish your review, give this website a thought.
    Gun Reviews Wanted - Guns.com

I own both a steyr m40-A1 and a m357-A1 (rare to come by) and both are arguably some of my favorite pistols to shoot. Very reliable and very accurate though I do know my .40 had extraction issues but once I sent out an email I was given a new extractor within 3 days and have not had a single problem in 1500 rounds. I do a bit of competition shooting and have really wanted to bring out the m40-A1 since I seem to be on par with my g34 in terms of accuracy (only reason I havent is due to price and availability of steyr mags and I dont reload .40) Great trigger IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links