Considering Sig P290RS, anybody pocket carry one?

This is a discussion on Considering Sig P290RS, anybody pocket carry one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; HI All, Looking for a new carry piece and the P290 is a top contender. I pocket carry. Currently it's a Kahr P380 which is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Considering Sig P290RS, anybody pocket carry one?

Considering Sig P290RS, anybody pocket carry one?

HI All,

Looking for a new carry piece and the P290 is a top contender. I pocket carry. Currently it's a Kahr P380 which is nice and light. I am interested in people that have pocket carried the P290 to get their impressions. I am mostly concerned about weight, but any and all feedback is welcome.

I've pocket carried:
    Micro Desert Eagle - 18oz loaded (no issue)
    Glock G26 - 24.6oz loaded (wasn't a fan of pocket carry with this but the G26 is an inch longer and bit thicker than the P290)
    Kahr P380 - 13.90z loaded (very light)

For reference the P290 with 7 rounds weighs 23.6oz.

Thanks,
    ThumperACC
    Last edited by ThumperACC; March 18th, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
    OnePlink likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I tried it for a while and it's doable, but for me it was a tad on the heavy side.. Great pistol though.. I had two of um, but sold one to help purchase my Kimber Solo.. Between the two the Solo is my designated pocket 9mm. For range use the Sig wins the day. So for me, it's nice to have both on hand..
    anglertoo and Sontag like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Considering Sig P290, anybody pocket carry one?

I think it might be the heaviest single stack micro polymer 9mm on the market. PM9, CM9, PF9, LC9, even the double stack P11 (and more) are lighter. and all will fit (or not fit) a front pocket as well/poor as the P290. fully loaded G26 weighs almost exactly the same as a P290 as well and it's certainly longer but not much thicker or taller.

the P290 might be the way to go for you because selection is personal and subjective. But weight won't be the reason. it's a bit of a hog compared to its completion. decent sights, re-strike, a rail, good ergonomics. it's not a bad gun. it's just a fatty.

Distinguished Member
    No pocket carry, just a little too big for that. Remora carry works great as it is slim and you almost forget that it is there. I have also added XS Big Dot sights to the gun (XS hasn't tried them out yet, so they do not list them yet) and used the P239 sights on them and they hit where aimed at 7 yards.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Re: Considering Sig P290, anybody pocket carry one?

I had a p290. Beware of light strikes. Unless they have fixed the issue with a newer batch.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Considering Sig P290RS, anybody pocket carry one?

I havent pocket carried mine for any extensive amount of time, but it is a breeze to do so for me. I wear loose fitting jeans so thats probably a factor. I love the 290rs and have just over 400 issue free rounds down the pipe.

Sent from a gadget

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    No pocket carry, just a little too big for that. Remora carry works great as it is slim and you almost forget that it is there. I have also added XS Big Dot sights to the gun (XS hasn't tried them out yet, so they do not list them yet) and used the P239 sights on them and they hit where aimed at 7 yards.
    Just checked out Remora, pretty interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by 915A View Post
    I havent pocket carried mine for any extensive amount of time, but it is a breeze to do so for me. I wear loose fitting jeans so thats probably a factor. I love the 290rs and have just over 400 issue free rounds down the pipe.

Sent from a gadget
    So I take it the weight does not bother you? Do you ever feel like you have a pendulem in your pocket?

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    thumperacc Your pockets , give one a try. It would not fit mine. Might try a cm9 also. Bigger than the P380 smaller than the P290rs. Better trigger on the cm9 too

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I tried it for a while and it's doable, but for me it was a tad on the heavy side.. Great pistol though.. I had two of um, but sold one to help purchase my Kimber Solo.. Between the two the Solo is my designated pocket 9mm. For range use the Sig wins the day. So for me, it's nice to have both on hand..
    From the specs I see, the Kimber is lighter but thicker than the P290 (I own neither so I could be wrong). I guess for you weight is more important than thickness?

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    thumperacc Your pockets , give one a try. It would not fit mine. Might try a cm9 also. Bigger than the P380 smaller than the P290rs. Better trigger on the cm9 too
    You're right it is my pocket it has to fit and I can try that in the store when I can find one in stock. What I can't find out is how it is to live with day in and day out long term. I was hoping to get some insight into that experience when I started this thread.

Thanks for the CM9 suggestion, but one of the reasons I am moving away from the Kahr is I want to standardize on hammer fired DAO with restrike capability. Same manual of arms for anything I might carry.

I've carried a P290RS for about 6 months now, using a Remora most of the time. Pocket carry works fine when I'm wearing looser fitting pants such as cargos, but not with jeans. With jeans, I use the same Remora for appendix carry. Either way, it's a comfortable carry. The P290 is a chunk but, coming from a Diamondback DB9, I like it that way!

Distinguished Member
    I pocket carry a LCP and after that the P290rs seems too big. I was hoping to pocket carry the 290, but it is too heavy and prints too much for me.. YMMV.

It is very comfortable to carry in a Mini-Tuck as well.

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I pocket carry a LCP and after that the P290rs seems too big.
    Yeah, almost anything would be big after the LCP, that thing is tiny. It makes my P380 seem big.

It is very comfortable to carry in a Mini-Tuck as well.
    Who makes the Mini-Tuck? Is that a CrossBreed?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThumperACC View Post
    Yeah, almost anything would be big after the LCP, that thing is tiny. It makes my P380 seem big.
    Who makes the Mini-Tuck? Is that a CrossBreed?
    Crossbreed makes them. I use it when I am doing more active things outside (rather than sitting around in a suit in an office situation) and the Remora just isn't secure enough for me because I often times forget I have it there with the Remora (it would be "not good" to lose it in the field and not know where). The Mini-Tuck is equally comfortable with jeans and work shirt, but more secure when bending over and jumping in and out of the pickup.

I use the Remora when in a suit as it is slim, light weight and plenty secure enough; not bunching up my suit and comfortable when sitting.

I have a SHTF for it also, but the Mini-Tuck is more comfortable (IMHO). I have changed the clips on the Mini-Tuck to the clip style on the SHTF as they are less obvious if I need to shed my vest or coat and tuck it.

I have a tuck-able version of the Remora and have used it several times, but I am not thrilled with it and simply use the mini-tuck if I feel I am going to be in a situation of taking my suit coat off for any extended amount of time.

The slimness of the P290 makes for a very comfortable, concealable weapon. In comparison to the CZ2075 RAMI 40 S&W, the CZ 82 9x18, a Taurus M-85 38spl +p, or a Tanfoglio "Mossad" compact 9mm (yeah I have them all.....), it is the most comfortable to carry, being the slimmest of the five. Note that I wouldn't call any of those a pocket gun, even the M85 prints too much with a Mika pocket holster unless you have very baggy pants. (I am not as skinny as Chief Mika) http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

I feel it has adequate firepower when loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124gr (so far 100% reliable with 200 rds of that ammo down range). I have had light strikes with PPU 9mm (primers are deeply seated) and failure to extract with +p+ 115 grain, but no other problems in well over 1500 rounds total with the gun. I use the PPU ammo 1 box out of 4 for training as it gives me failures (1 or 2 per 50) that I need to do immediate action drills on. As I have only fired 1 mag of +p+ 115 with 4 out of 6 failing to extract, I do not even try to use those. But as I said, other ammo is no problem. My partner has a P290rs also and has had the same issues with PPU ammo, but no others. He also uses the Remora for carry, which is surprising as he is very sensitive to IWB, and carries OWB less the one exception of the P290 in a Remora.

So to get to the point and quit rambling: no, I wouldn't call the P290 a pocket gun. The only guns I am comfortable with as a pocket gun are my American Arms 22Mag 1 1/4" revolver and my Ruger LCP as weak-hand BUGS in left front pocket carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links