Conversation With a Taurus Owner

This is a discussion on Conversation With a Taurus Owner within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other day while working the gun counter we had yet another customer bring back a Taurus handgun for warranty repair. This one, a PT22, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Conversation With a Taurus Owner

  1. #1
    Member Array Pontificator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    139

    Conversation With a Taurus Owner

    The other day while working the gun counter we had yet another customer bring back a Taurus handgun for warranty repair. This one, a PT22, was having failures to feed on almost every round according to the customer. While waiting for the manager I asked the customer if he owned any other Taurus guns. He told me he did and has had nothing but problems with every single one of them. However, he has "learned to live with it" (his words) since they are so cheap to buy and he only returns them for warranty work when they get so bad they don't function.

    This is the first customer I have talked with that was honest about Taurus quality, even though he owned several. Most Taurus owners, as I have seen on this board and elsewhere, will praise them and say they have been problem-free where in reality it is probably not the case. No one wants to admit they bought a lemon whether it is a car, gun, or anything else yet this one Taurus owner was refreshingly candid in his answer to my question.

    I again stand by my assertion that overall, Taurus guns are junk. This is not my opinion but verifiable fact. - I have personally owned them, I have talked with others who have owned them, and I have witnessed dozens of these guns be returned for warranty work at the shop I work at. - Those who still say these guns are quality are either extremely lucky or are deluding themselves. If you own a Taurus that has been problem-free then you are definitely one of the very few lucky ones.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post

    Most Taurus owners, as I have seen on this board and elsewhere, will praise them and say they have been problem-free where in reality it is probably not the case. No one wants to admit they bought a lemon whether it is a car, gun, or anything else yet this one Taurus owner was refreshingly candid in his answer to my question.

    This is not my opinion but verifiable fact.
    I'm not a fan of Taurus guns as of the three that I have owned I have owned have had issues. That being said, of the three S&W's I have owned I have had issues with them as well. I just have 2 things to say about the statements you made.. 1. Maybe the Taurus owners on this board that say they haven't had issues with their Taurus guns really HAVEN'T had issues? Just because you don't like them doesn't mean everyone else is lying. 2. I would suggest that you acquire a dictionary or use a handy google search and look up the definition of the word "Fact" and the definition of the word "Opinion".
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  4. #3
    Member Array Pontificator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    139
    That FACT is that I have owned them myself, have talked with others who have owned them, and now work at a gun shop where the #1 gun returned for warranty work is Taurus. I would call all that more than just "opinion."
    pittypat21 likes this.

  5. #4
    Member Array emawildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Independence, MO
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    This is the first customer I have talked with that was honest about Taurus quality, even though he owned several. Most Taurus owners, as I have seen on this board and elsewhere, will praise them and say they have been problem-free where in reality it is probably not the case. No one wants to admit they bought a lemon whether it is a car, gun, or anything else yet this one Taurus owner was refreshingly candid in his answer to my question.

    I again stand by my assertion that overall, Taurus guns are junk. This is not my opinion but verifiable fact. - I have personally owned them, I have talked with others who have owned them, and I have witnessed dozens of these guns be returned for warranty work at the shop I work at. - Those who still say these guns are quality are either extremely lucky or are deluding themselves. If you own a Taurus that has been problem-free then you are definitely one of the very few lucky ones.
    What shop do you work at? As a fellow Missourian, I would very much like to avoid spending any money there. I get enough pontificating from the wife.....

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    You can call it whatever you want but It's not a fact. It's your opinion. It's also your observation. You said "This is not my opinion but verifiable fact." That's incorrect.
    mr.stuart, Brad426 and Philly Boy like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  7. #6
    Member Array Pontificator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    139
    [QUOTE=emawildcat;2663040]What shop do you work at? As a fellow Missourian, I would very much like to avoid spending any money there. I get enough pontificating from the wife.....[/QUOTE
    Wow. I'm stating verifiable fact and not a random opinion and STILL the Taurus lovers come out in droves.
    Good luck to you!

  8. #7
    Member Array Pontificator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    You can call it whatever you want but It's not a fact. It's your opinion. It's also your observation. You said "This is not my opinion but verifiable fact." That's incorrect.
    It's my opinion that our store takes in more Taurus guns for warranty repair than any other brand? No. It's verifiable FACT.

  9. #8
    Member Array emawildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Independence, MO
    Posts
    95
    [QUOTE=Pontificator;2663043]
    Quote Originally Posted by emawildcat View Post
    What shop do you work at? As a fellow Missourian, I would very much like to avoid spending any money there. I get enough pontificating from the wife.....[/QUOTE
    Wow. I'm stating verifiable fact and not a random opinion and STILL the Taurus lovers come out in droves.
    Good luck to you!
    I'm sorry, where in my post did I profess my love for Taurus? My point was not any love for Taurus, rather it is a dislike for pontification.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    It's my opinion that our store takes in more Taurus guns for warranty repair than any other brand? No. It's verifiable FACT.
    It's anecdotal evidence. It may be a fact that your store takes in more Taurus guns for repair than any other brand, but that doesn't make it a fact that others do.

    Having said that, I have owned 4 Taurus guns in my life... 2 were flawless and 2 were lemons. Those aren't good odds in my not-so-humble opinion, but it's still anecdotal and based on a small sample size.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    It's my opinion that our store takes in more Taurus guns for warranty repair than any other brand? No. It's verifiable FACT.
    Your store taking in more Tuaurs guns for warranty work may be a verifiable fact but that's not what you stated at first. You first said "I again stand by my assertion that overall, Taurus guns are junk. This is not my opinion but verifiable fact" thus that was what I was arguing. You seem a little butt hurt that we don't find your opinion quite as infallible as you would like us too. I'm sorry.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array zonker1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    3,544
    I own a few versions of the Beretta 92 clone made my Taurus, and they have never been an issue. Had three Taurus Polymer guns that were a total nightmare.

    my opinion only:
    1. Taurus PT92 and variants are ok (my experience has been outstanding)
    2. Taurus revolvers are ok (owned several and never had a problem. Triggers suck, though)
    3. Taurus Polymer pistols ---buy at your own risk. Not sure how a company can bring out ten new pistols a year and ever get the problems worked out before they end up
    discontinuing the model.....and then bring out ten new models the next year.
    Superhouse 15 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

  13. #12
    Ex Member Array humblenutto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    The other day while working the gun counter we had yet another customer bring back a Taurus handgun for warranty repair. This one, a PT22, was having failures to feed on almost every round according to the customer. While waiting for the manager I asked the customer if he owned any other Taurus guns. He told me he did and has had nothing but problems with every single one of them. However, he has "learned to live with it" (his words) since they are so cheap to buy and he only returns them for warranty work when they get so bad they don't function.

    This is the first customer I have talked with that was honest about Taurus quality, even though he owned several. Most Taurus owners, as I have seen on this board and elsewhere, will praise them and say they have been problem-free where in reality it is probably not the case. No one wants to admit they bought a lemon whether it is a car, gun, or anything else yet this one Taurus owner was refreshingly candid in his answer to my question.

    I again stand by my assertion that overall, Taurus guns are junk. This is not my opinion but verifiable fact. - I have personally owned them, I have talked with others who have owned them, and I have witnessed dozens of these guns be returned for warranty work at the shop I work at. - Those who still say these guns are quality are either extremely lucky or are deluding themselves. If you own a Taurus that has been problem-free then you are definitely one of the very few lucky ones.
    Well I own 2 Taurus guns. A PT92 AF and a PT111 mil pro. I also own several other handguns as well. I'll admit, both Taurus guns I bought had a problem right out of the box. The PT92 AF had a weak misfire spring which caused the trigger to not reset to battery every so often when firing. I went through about 200 rounds with that before returning it to get it fixed at Taurus. The PT111 was worse. It wouldn't hold the magazines in when shooting at all and the accuracy was all over the place. Tried 200 rounds and sent it back.

    Got them both back in 2 weeks despite being told a 6 week turn around. The PT111 had a badly machine grip frame so the whole grip frame was replaced and the spring on the PT92 was also replaced. Both have been flawless since though. I've put 400 rounds through each of them with zero malfunctions.

    But they haven't been the only guns I've sent back either right out of the box. Which include a Ruger SR22, Sig p226, and a mossberg 500. All of which were bought brand new and had some sort of factory defect from the get go causing problems with functioning. All were sent back and are working flawlessly. Except the Ruger. Still waiting on that one to get back.

    Point is, factory duds can happen to any material item. For me it isn't that bad I got a factory dud it's if the company fixes right the first time or not. While I hate getting duds at all, and I've had my share of duds from all sorts items. I understand **** happens. To me it's more telling how well a company handles their CS and fixes problems. So far I haven't had a problem with Taurus in that regards. Nor any other company I've had to ship a firearm back to.

  14. #13
    Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    usa-southeast texas
    Posts
    1,707
    So this is not an opinion but verifiable fact? Where can I see this on paper? If a company makes guns ,I would need to see the defect rate,the cause of the defect,the percentage that are defective due to user abuse,to call this verifiable fact. Where can we see the verification? What is the point of this post anyway?I also cannot recall a brand of semi auto that never,ever jams.My XD9 jammed the first magazine right out of the box.I saw a man return a new S&W revolver last week because it was locked up.I never,ever had a S&W revolver lock up.Is Taurus equal to Glock? Not in my opinion,but there is a difference between fact and opinion.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.


    When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array pittypat21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Your store taking in more Tuaurs guns for warranty work may be a verifiable fact but that's not what you stated at first. You first said "I again stand by my assertion that overall, Taurus guns are junk. This is not my opinion but verifiable fact" thus that was what I was arguing. You seem a little butt hurt that we don't find your opinion quite as infallible as you would like us too. I'm sorry.
    In my opinion, just about everybody in this thread seems a little butt hurt, arguing over petty things. Maybe a discussion would be better for everyone, as opposed to a "YOU'RE WRONG" "NO, YOU'RE WRONG" back and forth?

    EDIT: To be clear, I started typing this post when the above quoted was the last entry. All other posts between mine and his were not considered when I typed this post.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,794
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    In my opinion, just about everybody in this thread seems a little butt hurt, arguing over petty things. Maybe a discussion would be better for everyone, as opposed to a "YOU'RE WRONG" "NO, YOU'RE WRONG" back and forth?

    EDIT: To be clear, I started typing this post when the above quoted was the last entry. All other posts between mine and his were not considered when I typed this post.
    You're wrong.
    mr.stuart and pittypat21 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

professing my love to taurus

,
sending taurus p22 back for repair
,
taurus firearm quality issues
,
taurus firearms problems
,
taurus firearms warranty
Click on a term to search for related topics.