Purchased 10mm, not sure 2 rounds beat 1 round of 10mm

This is a discussion on Purchased 10mm, not sure 2 rounds beat 1 round of 10mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have a new woods / SD carry. Been hard to find, but found and purchased a new Glock 20 SF. The frame size is a ...

Thread: Purchased 10mm, not sure 2 rounds beat 1 round of 10mm

Have a new woods / SD carry. Been hard to find, but found and purchased a new Glock 20 SF. The frame size is a great fit for my hand, and I have wanted a 10mm for a while.

Going to buy a 45 ACP barrel.

Also plan on getting an aftermarket 10mm barrel. I plan on reloading 10mm rounds, and want a barrel with better tolerences to keep the shell shape / reshaping in spec.

The 10mm is a lot more kick that 45 ACP, 357 sig, 40 S&W, etc. Not that it is unmanageable. For me, it really is the same as a .357 mag revolver (not talking light weight snubs, those things are murder with recoil). Less than a 44 mag, but really, not much less when it comes to follow up shot. All of this assumes you are using rounds close to full power.

I can't double tap with 10 mm yet, however it has made me a better shot with the .357 sig / .40 S&W glock. Funny how the .22 upper made me a better shot and now a more powerful caliber is making me better managing recoil.

It will be a good sidearm for hunting whitetail (and I might even try it as a primary for hunting).

For SD sticking with .357 sig (well reality .38 snub most of the time). I'm not sure what I might run into in the woods, and at this point with skill level I have to deside if two rounds of .357 sig (or .45 ACP) beat 1 round of 10mm.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

PS - But very happy with the purchase as soon as I can start reloading rounds to offset cost of ammo for 10mm.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I have owned and carried a Glock 20 for over twenty years. My current one is a G20 SF. I carry Winchester 175 grain Silvertips in rural areas with the standard barrel and either Buffalo Bore or Underwood 180 grain in the woods with the Glock factory six inch barrel installed.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I am looking for a Gen4 G20 or G29. You have to pay quite the premium so the purchase is on hold for now.

Good to hear that you are happy with yours.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I have owned a full size glock 20 for about 5 years. I have not shot it as much as I would like to but when I have it is a lot of fun to shoot. you can definitely feel a little more recoil than a 9mm but manageable. I have ordered some ammo from double tap that has a lot more velocity and energy than the standard loads do. I think you will like this gun providing you can find ammo to shoot out of it. Are you planning on concealing this gun?

VIP Member
    I am wearing a S&W 1006 as I type this. I shied away from it when I first started carrying because of size and ammo availability. Now, several years later, with ammo being what it is and with a holster that keeps it concealed and comfortable all day long, it has found its way into my edc rotation.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I picked up a 20SF myself last week and I love it. I currently use Winchester Silver Tips for home, and have an order for 200gr double taps for the woods (pending inventory, same with lonewolf barrel).

Recoil was very manageable. I put a TLR-1 on mine so that likely helped a bit. I love this thing. I have a Blade-Tech holster coming, but I'd be curious to know what you are going to use for a holster with yours.

Links