Kahr CW9 question

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday, I picked up a new Kahr CW9 pistol for the wife. Fits her hands fine (mine too), but I did notice that the slide ...

Thread: Kahr CW9 question

Kahr CW9 question

Yesterday, I picked up a new Kahr CW9 pistol for the wife. Fits her hands fine (mine too), but I did notice that the slide is very, very stiff to operate, by hand, to get into locked back condition. Is this normal for a new gun, being I havent put any rounds through it yet, except the one fired by the factory. I know I have to put at least 200 rounds through it for breakin, but am abit worried that it wont cycle and thereby have a FTE problem.

When I brought it home, I did take it down to clean it, as it was dirty (barrel). No problem disassembly or reassembly that I could figure out. Sure isnt as easy as my XD40 though, I must say. The recoil spring is quite under tension, and shot out the rod when I pulled it out. I know I have the spring in correctly though.

Should I be worried about firing this off for the first time, with the strong spring rate? Or, just close my eyes and pull the trigger!!

John
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by NevJohn View Post
    ... the slide is very, very stiff to operate, by hand, to get into locked back condition. Is this normal for a new gun ...
    It sure seems to be normal for Kahrs.

I've shot a K9, and I own a PM9. Each was brutally stiff. I'm well above the Kahr-specified break-in point of 200 rds, but that's not one-tenth of what it's going to take to "break in" the smoothness, I think. I've been having severe problems with FTF, and some FTE.

Should I be worried about firing this off for the first time, with the strong spring rate? Or, just close my eyes and pull the trigger!!
    I wouldn't be fearful. Though, definitely be cognizant of the stiff nature and what it means for cycling effectiveness. Lots of folks (on a variety of forums) have reported cycling issues with these little guns.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I second what cc9mm said. As for shooting it for the first time, let a friend do it

Just kidding, its fine. Make sure you break it in.

CW9

I have a CW9 and love it. Yes, the slide on mine is stiff. In fact, all the pistols I have - have a stiff slide. (I'm 67 years old). Recommend go to Wally Mart and buy some Winchester (white box) range/target ammo 115 grain and use that for range time. The price is great, ammo so-so. I carry Corbon 115 grain DPX +P for daily concealed carry. Quite a bit more "snap" than Winchester range stuff. My wife (also 67) can fire my Kahr CW9 with no problem with Winchester loaded.

The slide will "work in" somewhat after awhile, but I feel it is still stiff. I have chased my recoil spring around my garage (where I clean my pistol) a few times. Don't forget to clean the magazines.

I probably have around 600 rounds through my CW9 without any problems at all. Never once a FTE or FTF. I shoot it strong and weak hand plus two handed and never a problem.

Good luck with your CW9. I think you will enjoy it.
    Mark
    SC CWP Instructor
    NC CCH Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

That recoil spring assembly sucks, doesn't it? One tip I read about helped quite a bit: cycle the slide by hand about 1,000 times before shooting it. It sounds kind of weird, but the spring will losen up for you. Mine has never had an FTE.

Enjoy the new piece.

I've had the PM-9 for a little over a month, and have put over 400 rounds through it. Every time I've pulled the trigger (at the range), it's gone BANG.

Enjoy the CW-9, let us know how it does at the range!!

Okay guys, thanks for the comebacks and the advice. Yes, even the fellow behind the counter said that Kahr's are noted for stiff slides, but I really noticed it after cleaning it; guess because I never did action the slide at the store, so didnt have a "feel" for it.

Just got home from WW and bought 200 9mm WWB and 250 9mm UMC, so that should give both the CW0 and the Hi-Point 995 some workout.

Again, thx.... John
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

yes it is normal for a new auto to be hard to hand cycle. some are worst than others. run some rounds down range, this will help some. run lots of rounds, it will get better.

Kahrs are extremely tight when they are new. I had a K40 that was tight but after I put 2,000 (FLAWLESS) rounds thru it, she was just right. I also owned a K9 & MK9 (SUPER DUPER) tight and they both malfunctioned way after the 200 round break-in period, so we parted ways. The only reason why I got rid of the K40 was because I traded it in for a S&W 13 3"bbl revolver. So just keep working your CW9 with WW target as well as 200 to 300 rounds of top notch quality JHP carry ammo. This is to make sure it feeds what you carry & it also helps loosen it up for you.

Back from the range.....

Okay, went this morning to the range and put 350 rounds of various ammo throught this new CW9 I picked up this weekend. Not a HICCUP was experienced; no FTE or FTF at all. I shot Speer Lawman FMJ, WWB FMJ and UMC MC. When I got home, clean it up, and boy was it DIRTY.

As for accuracy... Well, lets put it this way.... I shoot my XD40-4 alot better, but I think that is due to the weight and being use to it. I seemed to shoot low with this CW9; but I think that might be because I was snapping the trigger, and once I started to "squeeze" it did improve alot. Still, I mangled that B-27 huminoid target anywhere from 3-15 yards distance. I think once I practice with it somemore and also shoot some HP through it, I should improve.

I'll probably use it for CCW more than the XD40 once I get a holster for it, and get qualified with it, so I can add it to my CCW permit. The pits we have to qualify and pay money to add it, yuk...

Overall.... am happy with it. Now to get the wife to the range and see what she says...

John
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Links