Question for you Glock 21 folks

This is a discussion on Question for you Glock 21 folks within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of my co-workers is looking at the Glock 21. We have talked about guns before. He mentions the SF and the Gen 4 as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Question for you Glock 21 folks

One of my co-workers is looking at the Glock 21. We have talked about guns before. He mentions the SF and the Gen 4 as the 2 he's interested in. I know absolutely nothing about the Glock 21. I am only familiar with Glocks chambered in 9mm. Anybody with experience with the Glock 21 please weigh in.

2. Remove Ads

The 21 Gen 3 is larger than the standard large glock 17,22 & 31. Most people with very large hands like them. The SF is a standard frame size!
    G17,G19C,G21,G22c,G22RTF2/Gills,G26,G31,G32
    Colt Python 6'' .357mag & 4'' Trooper

NRA Pistol Instructor
    SC CWP Instructor

i love mine. im 5'8 140 lbs my hands are kinda big but i have long fingers and love my regular size glock 21 gen 3. shoot it just as good if not better than my glock 23 gen 3.. its a good gun and the recoil is so smooth. i would recommend it. but honestly i would get the 21sf if i was him

VIP Member
    I would have him handle (shoot if possible) both the full sized 21 and the 21SF. I love my full sized 21 as it fits my hand very well. I have the gen 3. The gen 4 let's you tailor the grip size a bit, so if he is considering it, he should try the different back straps.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The G21SFis a generation 3 and is a "short frame" version of the standard G21 which means it has a grip that is shorter so that those with
    small hands can reach the trigger. The standard G21 has a very large grip and is not comfortable for most with normal
    or small hands. The Gen 4 solves the problems of the large grips of the standard Gen 3 G21 by including replaceable back
    straps to fit your hand. Gen 4's also have dual recoil springs vs one for the gen 3's.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Would I be correct in assuming that dual recoil spring in the gen 4 reduces the recoil and makes for faster follow up shots in comparison to the standard glock recoil spring?

I have a gen 1 and absolutely love it. Hundreds and hundreds of rounds and never a malfunction.
    Just a terrific firearm. I liked it so much I purchased a Glock 30 for a CCW because it feels the same but is smaller.
    If you're looking for a full sized .45 there is none more reliable than the Glock 21. It goes bang every single time!
    Psalm 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle.

Romans 13:4
    But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    Would I be correct in assuming that dual recoil spring in the gen 4 reduces the recoil and makes for faster follow up shots in comparison to the standard glock recoil spring?

Yes it does help reduce recoil. I have a gen 4 G21 and it is the softest shooting .45 I've ever shot. I love mine.

The Glock 21SF and G30 are absolutely awesome pistols. High capacity, great caliber, soft shooting, very accurate, stone reliable. The G21SF and G30 are two Glocks I will never willingly part with.

I will strongly encourage anyone interested in a full size, high capacity .45acp to consider the G21SF or the G21 Gen 4. And for those with large hands, the regular G21 earlier version is an awesome pistol.

I use the G21SF as a nightstand and home/RV defense pistol. My G30 is often used as my carry pistol. These two are slam-dunk-superb pistols! If your hand can comfortably hold these guns, you cannot go wrong with these guns!
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

I find even the full size Glock 21 comfortable to shoot as long as you know how to hold thumbs forward. Very accurate and low recoil IMO. Sometimes its nice to feel like you have a big gun to stand behind

there's nothing difficult about shooting a G21. it's big because the cartridge is big. not because it's nuclear or something. that's why people love the 45acp. it cleans house with its mass, not its velocity or pressure. medium size hands will easily fit around a gen 3 G21. the 21sf and now Gen 4 make it even easier. I believe the Gen 4 w/o a backstrap is the same thickness as the 21sf.

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    I find even the full size Glock 21 comfortable to shoot as long as you know how to hold thumbs forward. Very accurate and low recoil IMO.
    should be. guns in any given cartridge become more difficult to shoot as they get smaller, not bigger. the full size G21 is the kitten of the family.

Runs great with a light as well. As my nightstand gun, it has the light on it. Otherwise, I remove the light.

The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Runs great with a light as well. As my nightstand gun, it has the light on it. Otherwise, I remove the light.

Do that gun a favor and go blow the lint off of it...100rnds should do lol !

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    Do that gun a favor and go blow the lint off of it...100rnds should do lol !
    I know... every time I look at the pic I wish I had done just a little bit of prep work to the gun before the photo session! Poor thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links