Trade the LCR for a Model 36...

This is a discussion on Trade the LCR for a Model 36... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had a 3" S&W M36 for a couple years now; like the pistol quite a bit, but I decided that I'd like something a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Trade the LCR for a Model 36...

I've had a 3" S&W M36 for a couple years now; like the pistol quite a bit, but I decided that I'd like something a little lighter and compact...that 3" barrel makes pocket carrying difficult, and also difficult to find 3" holsters for pocket carry.

So, in the flurry of selling/trading/etc that I've been doing lately, I ended up with a new LCR. I like it...but not as much as I like my 36. I'm definitely more accurate with the M36 (yes, in DA mode--I'm not cocking the hammer first); part of me says the extra inch or so of sight radius is helping, but...to be dead honest, as vaunted as the LCR's trigger is (and it is quite nice--much better than the 442/642's that I was looking at), it is nowhere near as smooth as the M36's.

I've also found that with the exception of putting it in the pocket of my winter coat, I'm not a fan of pocket carry, either. So, the whole hammer thing doesn't seem to come into play a whole lot...and if I decide it's going to, it's not too hard to get the hammer bobbed. I've also considered the possibility of a Bodyguard, as well (the classic, shrouded hammer design, not the new plastic and laser gee-whiz model).

So...I think a nice, snub Chief's Special or Airweight is going to join the stable, and the LCR is going to move along.

So, DC hive mind--crazy talk?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Model 36 saved my arse twice over the years.....get a 2"....IMO.

I had an LCR 357 and really tried to like it. I went back to a J frame for that role.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Well --- I'm keepin my LCR, both of them.
    Funkybassplayer likes this.

Hard to beat a steel revolver in my humble opinion. An LCR is an excellent revolver, but up here in the frigid north it can't be that hard to hide that 3" revolver. We wear sweatshirts 3 seasons out of the year.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

You will be much happier with all steel

The M36 is a great classic gun and the 3" barrel is a nice option to have. Hard to go wrong with it. Get a good IWB holster and you're set. If you're considering the Bodyguard 38/638, why not look into the all-steel 649 to go along with the M36? Great combo there!

I have the 36 snub and a LCR. Two different guns to me. They are the two only revolvers I have, and could not be more happy with each. Love the 36 the most and just looks great. Just like a 38 should be. But,,,,, I also enjoy shooting and carrying my LCR. It is a little lighter and is rated for +P. All the new steel revolvers by S&W just don't really get my attention. I might be the only one but, the LCR is great for carry and frankly, I don't worry about it much when carrying in bad weather because it's not steel. I also believe it shoots better for me than the other light weight versions on the market. I don't notice the recoil as much. Anyway, that's my opinion. Would not sell my 36 or LCR for nothing.

Everybody will have their own preference. I personally like the LCR better. If you like the 36 better, than keep it (or get another one) and sell the LCR to someone who like it better. You'll both end up happy.
    GoSlow likes this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong I just love Rugers own quite a few,but the LCR just has never felt quite right in my hand. Something about that big sweeping trigger gaurd.
    On the other hand the S&W J's especially the steel ones feel great, look good to. They remind me of a well made Swiss watch.

Cool

For CCW in humid Florida I have a S&W Model 649 and a S&W Model 60 both in .38 spl stainless steel revolvers.

I prefer all steel snub nose revolvers for the added weight and better recoil control with +p ammo.

photo.jpgImage.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

I do have a Ruger but again it's a stainless steel SP-101 in .357 for heavy work.

photo.jpg

All that said I like 3" barrels on a revolver and I like .357's. My S&W Model 65 fits those requirements.

Image 3.jpg

I have thinned out the herd over the past year however these four will be staying. They are all definite keepers.

Regards,

FlaRon

P.S.

My S&W Model 36 went to my daughter.

Image.jpg
    click image to enlarge.....

I like me some snubbies.
    Bad Bob and glockman10mm like this.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Everybody will have their own preference. I personally like the LCR better. If you like the 36 better, than keep it (or get another one) and sell the LCR to someone who like it better. You'll both end up happy.
    IMHO this ^^^^is a great reply.
    NRA Life Member
    R1200RT
    Remember, math is your friend not your enemy!

I have an old flat latch model 36 going on its 2nd re bluing job. Gotta love them.
    FlaRon likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Nice carry set up Ron.
    FlaRon likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I have a smith 642 with no lock. It's so perfect it's boring.
    FlaRon likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links