M&P question

This is a discussion on M&P question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Next month I begin my hunt for the M&P 45 c/M&P 45. I plan to get both eventually. Finances are the reason for the delay. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: M&P question

M&P question

Next month I begin my hunt for the M&P 45 c/M&P 45. I plan to get both eventually. Finances are the reason for the delay. My questions are: 1. Would you choose to have the safety or not on either of these pistols. 2. Which one would you seek out first?

2. Remove Ads

Buy the one that you come across first. As for the safety, personally it has no relevance for me, (and no, I don't own a Glock).

My dad has the M&P45 w/o the safety.He says it doesn't bother him one way or the other.I think one of the reasons this one didn't bother him,because it came with the trijicon nightsites

Regarding the safety, if it's a range pistol, I might opt for the safety. If it's a carry pistol even part of the time, I would not get the safety, wouldn't want it.

As for which to buy first, as others have said, if you're going to buy both n*e*way, get whichever you find and can get the best deal on first.

I have the 45c with a safety. I practice taking the safety off on the draw so it is muscle memory. It is also very easy to remove the safety if you dont want it. I really like the compact version for several reasons. It is concealable with the 8 rd mags, but you can still use the 10 rd mags w/ X grip. Very versitile.
    pcnotpc likes this.

IMO a thumb safety doesn't belong on a defensive pistol. Especially a striker fired one. I would look for the 45c first. It's the more versatile of the two in terms of carryability.
    Brad426, zonker1986, Lish and 2 others like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    IMO a thumb safety doesn't belong on a defensive pistol. Especially a striker fired one. I would look for the 45c first. It's the more versatile of the two in terms of carryability.
    Exactly what he said. I have the 45c with no thumb safety and don't think you can go wrong with it.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

AFAIK, the safeties on the full size and compact M&P's are removable by the user.

None of my M&P's have the safety, except for the Shield. I don't miss it, and probably prefer not to have it. I don't think I'd let that be the determining factor either way, unless you really want the safety. The shape, size, and placement of the safety are such that it's highly unlikely that it'd be accidentally engaged. You can ignore it.

Given the choice, if you're going to get both eventually, I'd go with the Compact first, since it's a little better suited for CC. In today's market, though, you might not have much of a choice!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

RT
    I have the M&P 9 w/o the safety, and the lack of a safety doesn't bother me. If you're not sure, it wouldn't hurt to get the thumb safety model since the safety is easily removed. Trying to convert a non-thumb safety model to accept a safety can be a royal pain (and might void the warranty). The sear housing block made for the thumb safety model has been known to be ridiculously hard to come by (they're factory install only parts from S&W). Also, even if you acquired one from somewhere else, the frame would still need to be modified since the thumb safety model's frame has a cutout to accept the safety.

I have two M&Ps without a manual safety, never had a scare of a ND. I find the M&P safety to be very obtrusive and awkward to handle, about a month ago I was on the range and a young man was there with his brand new M&P9 with a manual safety, he was a new shooter and was having issues with accidentally hitting the safety when establishing his grip. I let him try my 9c without a safety and he was much more comfortable. If it is a dedicated range gun then I can see the logic in having a manual safety just for extra safety measures, but for a HD or CC gun I'd say no way. You really do have to pull the trigger correctly to discharge an M&P, even if you pull on the top part of the two piece trigger it won't go off (I've tried w/snap caps). Also, many of the holsters on the market for the M&P are only for the no safety model. A last note, if you are looking to use it for carry, make sure to get a model without the magazine safety.

Distinguished Member
    I've had it both ways. My M&P45 didn't have a safety. My M&P40c does. I only got the 40c with the safety because it was the M&P available at the time that the guy wanted to trade. I have since not had worries about it. I practice that every time I bring it up the thumb brushes the safety off, just like I do with my 1911.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I bought without the safety.
    Now that I am considering AIWB wish I had bought with the thumb safety.
    RickyD likes this.

I just happened to get a deal on my m&p 9c and it came with a safety. But it dosent bother me one or another. its a range carry and home defense gun,

I have had the M&P 45c both ways.

The first had no manual safety and standard sights. It shot like a dream and I never missed the safety. I had to sell it about a year ago to pay some bills. I swore that would never happen again.

Later last year I came upon a deal for an M&P 45c with the manual safety, factory night sights and three magazines. It was a law enforcement officer purchase and the seller was practically giving it away, too good to pass up and I had the money at the time. While the safety being there makes it handle differently than my previous pistol, it hasn't been a bother and if it becomes one I can always remove it. Training is the key.

The ability to use both the 8-round compact magazines for concealed carry and/or the 10- or 14-rounders (along with the X-Grip adapters to close the gap) for a house gun makes the M&P 45c much more versatile than the full-sized model in my opinion. As always, your mileage may vary.

Ultimately, it all comes down to what you can live with, what you can find available and/or what you choose to spend for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links