S&W Bodyguard .380 VS Karh P380

This is a discussion on S&W Bodyguard .380 VS Karh P380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have owned a P380 & a P238, both are great guns. The Sig is a SA & the Kahr is a DAO, triggers on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: S&W Bodyguard .380 VS Karh P380

I have owned a P380 & a P238, both are great guns. The Sig is a SA & the Kahr is a DAO, triggers on both are quite good. The Sig is all steel & Kahr polymer, obviously The Sig is heavy for a pocket gun. They both have really nice sights and are good shooting guns. I never had a problem with either gun, both were flawless for hundreds of rounds and were not bad shooting at the range. I have no experience with the S&W, but there is a recent thread on this forum about their 380. I would review it. It comes down to how you want to carry the gun, the Kahr is light and can go in gym or nylon type short pockets and not pull down your pants. The Sig is great also but you really need to carry it cocked and locked with safety on, just like a 1911 which it is modeled after. My 2 cents worth on those guns if its any help to you.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    That's good insight. I've been trying to find the p380 for a while but no one in my area has them not academy or gander mnt much less the pawn shops. I am a huge fan of kahr's trigger. It's long but smooth. I've been looking at the cm9 or the pm9 but wanted to carry in the pocket or have one as a backup gun.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

I have both a S&W Bodyguard 380 and a Ruger LCP that I have added a Crimson Trace laser to. I see pros and cons to both based on my experience with them. I have never owned or shot a Kahr P380

What I like about the Bodyguard is the useable sights on the gun, the sights on the LCP are near useless. I find the trigger pull a little longer and harder on the Bodyguard than on the LCP. I find the standard laser on the Bodyguard essentially useless as it is too difficult to activate during a situation requiring quick draw and aim. They both feel good in my hand so no preference there. I don't really find that much difference in shooting comfort from recoil between the two. They are both small and light (the primary consideration for me in selecting a CCW) and both have been very reliable in practice at a shooting at a range. Cost was also a big consideration in selecting these. With using the laser sights a relatively close range I achieve about the same accuracy with both, but without use of the laser I do better with the Bodyguard. I find the safety on the Bodyguard useless in practice, the release button is to small and difficult to move that I would think about keeping it on. Even though I keep a round in the chamber I feel comfortable without a safety for both given the DAO and long trigger pull.

Quote Originally Posted by elfman View Post
    I have both a S&W Bodyguard 380 and a Ruger LCP that I have added a Crimson Trace laser to. I see pros and cons to both based on my experience with them. I have never owned or shot a Kahr P380

What I like about the Bodyguard is the useable sights on the gun, the sights on the LCP are near useless. I find the trigger pull a little longer and harder on the Bodyguard than on the LCP. I find the standard laser on the Bodyguard essentially useless as it is too difficult to activate during a situation requiring quick draw and aim. They both feel good in my hand so no preference there. I don't really find that much difference in shooting comfort from recoil between the two. They are both small and light (the primary consideration for me in selecting a CCW) and both have been very reliable in practice at a shooting at a range. Cost was also a big consideration in selecting these. With using the laser sights a relatively close range I achieve about the same accuracy with both, but without use of the laser I do better with the Bodyguard. I find the safety on the Bodyguard useless in practice, the release button is to small and difficult to move that I would think about keeping it on. Even though I keep a round in the chamber I feel comfortable without a safety for both given the DAO and long trigger pull.
    I agree.

The things I like about the Bodyguard are......
    1. It has a natural "dead on" aim when I pull it up.
    2. It has sights that you can use and are adjustable.
    3. The laser....... meh Didn't buy it for that anyway.
    4. I have found it to be very accurate for a pocket gun.
    5. I like the last shot slide hold open feature.
    6. Slide lock.
    7. TAKE DOWN LEVER is a huge plus! Most other pocket guns you have to push a roll pin out to field strip and clean.
    8. Manual safety in addition to the double action long trigger pull. Good for those who carry with one in the chamber and are not comfortable without a safety.

It has all of the features of a "Big" gun in a nice, compact unit.

I have a Kahr P380 and I love it! I can't believe how accurate the little gun is. I usually carry a 9 but I do like to carry the P380 in the summer time. In the winter the Kahr sits in a safe and I have thought about selling it. Then I take it to the range and it just makes me smile. I just can't part with the little gun. I know some people complain about them. Most of the problems were with the earlier models. The newer ones are great! Kahr just introduced the CW380, so you might start seeing more of those out soon.

My Kahr is fun to shoot.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Quote Originally Posted by phil413tx View Post
    I have a Kahr P380 and I love it! I can't believe how accurate the little gun is. I usually carry a 9 but I do like to carry the P380 in the summer time. In the winter the Kahr sits in a safe and I have thought about selling it. Then I take it to the range and it just makes me smile. I just can't part with the little gun. I know some people complain about them. Most of the problems were with the earlier models. The newer ones are great! Kahr just introduced the CW380, so you might start seeing more of those out soon.
    I hope so because I love the smoothness of the cm9's trigger. I guess it would be just as good.

Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

If you are used to the Kahr trigger, than the P380 will be the same. I have a MK9 and a K9 and they both have the same trigger as P380. I am now looking for a PM9.

I'm not use to it really but its more of a like than being use to it. I'm actually use the M&P shield trigger since its my first and only pistol I've ever bought.

It does take some practice to get use to the trigger. But once you do, it really is a great trigger. I tried several 380s before I settled on the Kahr. It was my first Kahr. I liked it so much, I bought more.

I'm looking forward to the CW380. I have had several Kahrs and the trigger pull is the same on all of them.

I have the boydguard 380 and love it. no problems with anything . Have about 500 rounds threw it and no issues. its my EDC and small enough to throw in the pocket cause its DAO ( loaded no safety). I have used the laser once while shooting at the range and it was pretty accurate. so we will see. No adjustments needed out of the box. I will attach a video the bodyguard is the last gun shot in the video. I was even shooting +P like im not supposed to . I know not to now. but it still works great.
    Sunday GunDay - YouTube

Since you're looking at the .380, I'll share this: I handled a Diamondback DB380CTC, and I thought it was a great gun. Striker fired, no safety. And unlike other .380's that incorporate a laser, this laser was activated by your middle finger and was a natural "on" as you gripped the pistol. The S&W BG has the on button closer to the slide, necessitating the use of a finger, index finger seems natural, to activate the laser. That seems like a poor design to me, but I have never handled one so maybe turning on the laser is more natural-feeling than I imagine.

My wife fell in love with this gun. I was actually surprised she didn't buy it right then, and I'm surprised she still hasn't bought it. She has handled several pistols, but this was the only one (literally) that she liked. The laser was strong out to 7 yards.

Diamondback is a new-ish maker, I guess. It looked just like a mini-glock (and I mean mini...it was tiny). It seemed well-built, no rattles when shaken. The mag release button was quite stiff and you still had to strip it to eject the mag, but as a BUG or primary for her, how often are you going to be reloading in a life-death situation? Not often, I hope. Also, I don't think there was a lock-back on the last shot fired. We didn't shoot it, but I seem to remember that from the youtube videos I watched. Just another option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links