Revolver guys... Would you prefer a lockless revolver? Pay a premium for it?

This is a discussion on Revolver guys... Would you prefer a lockless revolver? Pay a premium for it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I landed a Lockless 642 which was my preference. There was a not premium charged at the ma and pa store I shop at for ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Revolver guys... Would you prefer a lockless revolver? Pay a premium for it?

I landed a Lockless 642 which was my preference. There was a not premium charged at the ma and pa store I shop at for it. Would a typical carry guy pay a premium for the lock free type?

Not testing the market just curious. It's like a pre-Remington Marlin 336 vs current 336 rifles.
    Last edited by Cyrano; March 20th, 2013 at 06:12 PM.

...I'm not typical, I've been told, but I've paid up to $100 more for an older-than-lock model...I won't have one with a lock...since I sweat for the money, it's my choice...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    I landed a Lockless 642 which was my preference. There was not premium at the ma and pa store I shop at for it. Would a typical carry guy pay a premium for the lock free type?
    QKShooter and GhostMaker like this.

VIP Member
    Nope, I stick to the older pre-lock models.
    QKShooter and GhostMaker like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'd be far more willing to pay a premium to purchase a suitable used traditional "pre-lock" Smith & Wesson revolver in nice condition. I would be willing to purchase new Smith & Wesson revolvers without locks but not at a premium price.

I'd be unwilling to purchase or own a model with a lock under any circumstances.

My Smith & Wesson revolvers will never fail due to a faulty lock because not a single one has the piece of baggage.
    QKShooter, wmhawth, DHart and 1 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Sounds like you're testing the market, but no--I would never pay a premium for a lockless revolver when the locks can be removed from most.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    For my "working girls" (carry guns) it doesn't bother me. I've shot thousands of rounds through "lock" revolvers and never had a problem.

For "collection" pieces it's a moot point. The ones I want to collect don't have them (e.g., 36 no dash, 60 no dash, etc.).
    sensei2 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I got a new 442 last year no lock and actually paid less for it.
    QKShooter likes this.
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Prefer no locks on S&W revolvers

I believe I own about 12 S&W revolvers, and none of them have the internal lock. I have avoided the lock, as it indicates a rather arrogant attitude on the part of S&W towards their customers. If the company valued their customers, they would give them the choice of lock or no lock, rather than forcing them to take the lock.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I would pay a small premium.

I don't like the idea of the lock on a revolver, and I like the idea of removing a safety device on a carry gun even less.

I'd pay up to $100 more for a lockless model.

I'm sorry if I seem ignorant to the subject but what is the big problem with the locking models? I've shot both and like both I see no point in the lock but am curious why so many people are so against these models.

-BTO-
    -BTO-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkybassplayer View Post
    I'm sorry if I seem ignorant to the subject but what is the big problem with the locking models? I've shot both and like both I see no point in the lock but am curious why so many people are so against these models.

-BTO-
    The lock is an unnecessary gimmick just so lawyers can “Gee look how much safer it is now that it has a lock”.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That's what I figured

-BTO-
    -BTO-

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I sold the Model 36 Chiefs Special I had with a lock....the guy that bought it doesnt care....but I personally dont like them. And its also sad
    that the new "classic" line of S&W revolvers have the locks...and they are definitely ALL a premium price...I wont have one again....at any price.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Funkybassplayer View Post

-BTO-
    The default configuration of the locking mechanism in S&W revolvers is "locked.". There have been reports of spontaneous locking of a previously unlocked revolver after they were dropped - some even after they were simply fired. Many folks feel that the risk is too great to carry a revolver that may spontaneously lock during use in a defensive situation.
    GhostMaker likes this.

I honestly couldn't care less.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links