How many are waiting?

This is a discussion on How many are waiting? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These last few months since the tragedy in Connecticut have been instructive (at the very least) but also disconcerting to some extent as I sit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How many are waiting?

How many are waiting?

These last few months since the tragedy in Connecticut have been instructive (at the very least) but also disconcerting to some extent as I sit on the sidelines watching the scramble for guns and ammo. I mean, really. How many out there already have enough guns and ammo and are patiently waiting for Congress to do its thing?

That's the route I am taking and it feels sooo good to not be in a lather over this stuff. My FFL dealer was telling me about a year ago that he was buying some ammunition that had been stockpiled by folks after Obama was elected the first time. True, things changed dramatically in December, but I expect a whole lot of folks are going to wake up after the fever has died down and they'll be cash poor and their closet floorboards will be sagging under the weight of guns and ammo.

After all, how many guns can you accurately shoot at one time? Personally, I've got a Gen 4 Model 26 Glock and that's it. I can hit the 'O' ring on the IDPA silhouette with my weak hand during the Classifier match with serious concentration, but if I were trying to shoot two handguns at once, I fear a number of innocent bystanders might pay the price.

Obama has been THE BEST THING to ever happen to the NRA, the gun manufacturers and the ammunition industry, bar none.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

2. Remove Ads

I am waiting If I find something I want at a normal price I pick it up. I refuse to pay the inflated prices to purchase ammo or guns. I have a small wish list currently but can wait. fortunately I live in a state that is not gone bat crazy trying to pass restrictive laws but is going in the opposite direction.
    Bmoliv66 likes this.

I've got each and every handgun and rifle I feel are necessary and that I can competently use. I've got enough ammo for each to use in a pinch or defensively. In a true defecation hits the oscillation situation: they'll be plenty of people who horded more ammo then they could take with them, I don't think every single one of them will stay at home.

Either way I feel set for things I -need-. I'm waiting till the insanity dies down for the things I -want-. If it doesn't, I'm still set and I'll just accept slowly buying more ammo, but for now I'm good.

The AWB and most of its components have been annouced to be DOA in the Senate.....where the Democrats have the majority. No chance of any of it passing
    the House which is held by the Republicans.

...all this has been for naught....which many predicted the day Obama announced his plan

I haven't bought anything during this mess waiting for things to get back to normal. I have scratched a couple of gun stores off my list as their prices during this
    frenzy went through the roof, and I feel they were really screwing customers with the ridiculous increase. They'll be sorry for their actions when they have no customers in a few months. I expect to see the prices of AR's and the like to drop like a stone after Harry Reid's announcement yesterday:
    "I'm pulling the AWB fromthe propsed legislation because it does not have the required support even in the Senate."

...it helps that I stockpiled ammo and guns like crazy in 2008 in anticipation of Obama and his history towards the Second Amendment and added a few along the way the last four years. We'd be fools to think this guy is done with his agenda...he's not.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member
    So true there r a few gun shops I will not go to again due to their jacking prices sky high..
    heatherr855 likes this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 1gunsnowbird View Post
    I mean, really. How many out there already have enough guns and ammo and are patiently waiting for Congress to do its thing?

That's the route I am taking and it feels sooo good to not be in a lather over this stuff.

Obama has been THE BEST THING to ever happen to the NRA, the gun manufacturers and the ammunition industry, bar none.
    Some prefer, OTOH, to "lather up" as the only real way of remaining clean in all of this, true to our heritage and our consciences.

Sitting back and waiting? From a legislative standpoint, I think that's a recipe for disaster, waiting for the 2A to get nearly flushed (for all practical purposes). After all, the liberty-haters all work for us. We hired them. We can fire them. And we can stop their nefarious onslaught of the Constitution ONLY IF WE FIGHT TO STOP THEM. Ain't gonna happen by sitting back and hoping it turns out alright.

But from the standpoint of the number of gun owners and carriers now out there, as you say, it's a boon. The floorboards can only hold so much, you're right.

Though, there are even bills in some states seeking to legislate ammo and ammo parts to within an inch of our lives, which could effectively render ammo unavailable for a good percentage of such folks for years. "Boon," eh? If many folks are essentially rendered incapable of effectively using what they've got?

Not if we sit and wait around for the evisceration, taking it meekly. Not "coming to take our guns," eh? They're trying everything possible to do exactly that, in many states. And when it comes right down to it, the AWB in Congress, a couple of variants, and some smaller restrictive alternatives are technically all out there, despite the wrangling; they could come to the floor at any moment, if the compromisers cut deals behind those closed doors of theirs.

Nicely, some hirelings in some states are actually paying homage to their sworn oaths to both protect and defend the Constitution by strengthening the 2A-related protections in their states. And many sheriffs are backing the Constitution and its protection by coming out publicly to state solidarity with the People who hired them to refuse enforcement of unjust, unconstitutional legislation.

YMMV. But many are opting to fight, opting to see what irons are still in the fire and preparing against the potential eventualities. It is what it is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I had all the firearms, accessories and ammunition I wanted/needed before things got rediculous.
    Since then, I've run across a few good deals on ammo and bought some... but nothing at elevated pricing.
    I've bought a few items that I didn't need just to patronize my LGS and reward them for staying true to their customers while other were gouging. (Thanks Maine Tactical... you guys rock!).

Having seen this coming and buying ahead of time means not contributing to the madness now and has allowed me to focus on joining the political battle. No waiting idly by for the dust to settle here! For the past few months I have been emailing, writing and calling my state an federal legislators a couple times each week. I've been reminding my friends and associates to do the same. Wars aren't won by waiting... they're won by doing...
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by 1gunsnowbird View Post
    These last few months since the tragedy in Connecticut have been instructive (at the very least) but also disconcerting to some extent as I sit on the sidelines watching the scramble for guns and ammo. I mean, really. How many out there already have enough guns and ammo and are patiently waiting for Congress to do its thing?

That's the route I am taking and it feels sooo good to not be in a lather over this stuff. My FFL dealer was telling me about a year ago that he was buying some ammunition that had been stockpiled by folks after Obama was elected the first time. True, things changed dramatically in December, but I expect a whole lot of folks are going to wake up after the fever has died down and they'll be cash poor and their closet floorboards will be sagging under the weight of guns and ammo.

After all, how many guns can you accurately shoot at one time? Personally, I've got a Gen 4 Model 26 Glock and that's it. I can hit the 'O' ring on the IDPA silhouette with my weak hand during the Classifier match with serious concentration, but if I were trying to shoot two handguns at once, I fear a number of innocent bystanders might pay the price.

Im not sure going through all this was worth it just to punch up NRA membership but ok.
    Personally I think Obama, and his ilk at the state level have signed a political death warrant for liberals and anti gun supporters running for office next time at every level of government just as Clinton did only worse. Errrr better from our side of things.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

waiting for prices to go to normal. havent been going to range like i used to. i understand why other people are stockpiling. i already stocked enough when prices were reasonable. buy low, sell high.

Distinguished Member
    Waiting and writing. No loss because CA laws already negatively impact the choices in the market, anyway. Basically, I'm waiting to move to a more "common sense" state before buying a firearm, anyway, if I ever do.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I'm waiting... For all of those good deals soon to be popping up later this year :)

Well some here feel Obummer getting elected both times was the best thing for the NRA's membership??? I have to disagree. For one the best thing for the NRA is that funny black guy Colion Noir that the NRA recently brought on board. I for one would LOVE to see Colion Noir run for President in 2016. I'd bet many that voted for Obummer would vote for CN for the same main reason they voted for bummer man just because he's black too. For my money race has nothing to do with a mans worth.

I believe Obummer is and will go down in the History books as the WORST President of the United States in the History of America.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote: "How many out there already have enough guns and ammo and are patiently waiting for Congress to do its thing?"

When is enough, enough? A friend of mine once stated: I got enough money in my pocket to last me the rest of my life...............long pause................if I die tomorrow.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

Don't worry about tons of guns and ammo.

1. Do you have a year's worth of food and water?
    2. Do you have enough magazines to load most of your ammo?
    3. Do you even have a simple chest rig to carry your magazines with you?
    4. Are you in shape?

Start thinking about preparing along those lines. Gotta have other equipment too.
    1MoreGoodGuy and AK_Brian like this.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

There is an old adage, you should only use your pistol to get back to the rifle that you never should have put down", having a glock that you are proficient with is good, but I would strongly suggest getting a good rifle, and good rifle skills. Agree with ROFL SQUAD above, if you are good to go on guns and ammo, get the supporting stuff, chest rig, more mags (even those are becoming hard to find) and some food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links