Defensive Carry banner

pf9 or kahr cw9

6K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  gymowner 
#1 ·
i want opinions i want it for iwb carry how much more is the kahr vs keltec? which is a better gun? i have read alot of bad reviews on pf9 i want to like it i am basicly looking pocket carry i can fit the pf9 in jeans fine i have never held a cw9 how good are they out of two which has your vote ?

#2 ·
I can help you halfway - I have a CW9 which I carry a lot. But unless your pants are baggy with extra-large pockets, the CW9 is not a pocket gun. Because it's so slim, I get by with a good paddle holster and a loose, untucked shirt for a cover garment.

I do have a Kel-Tec .32, and if it's representative of the rest of their product line, then the CW9 is by far a sturdier and better-built gun, which I believe is reflected in their prices.

For a compact gun, the CW9 affords a full 3-finger grip without a pinky extension on the mag, and the polymer frame makes the recoil quite manageable. +P ammo is snappy, but not uncomfortable - you just know you're shooting a hot round. No problems with mine, and I'm guessing the round count is over 800 by now.

#3 ·
I have a Keltec PF9 and it is reasonably priced and is the smallest and lightest 9mm you can buy making it a true pocket pistol and has a lifetime warranty.The Kahr is a fine pistol but it is a lot more money.
I enjoy shooting about the first 20 rounds but after that it hurts my hand. None of the small pistols, in my opinion, are meant for taget shootine.

#5 ·
I chose the Kahr CW9 after researching a few weeks. One of the things I heard is that it shoots better than most other guns in the class. I haven't verified this yet, as (1) It's been below freezing outside everyday since I've bought it, and (2) I only have 100 rounds of 9mm after buying the last 2 boxes at the shop I bought the gun with. I've gone to 3 other shops and numerous online sites, and everyone's out of 9mm. I paid $399 for it, which I think was a good deal, since Gander wanted $575.

When I was looking at possibilities, my final two were the CW9 and the Ruger LC9. I didn't like the idea of the plastic guide rod on the LC9 after reading about it breaking, plus everything I read, saw, and heard said that the CW9 was a better shooter.

First thoughts on the CW9: I like the size, weight and feel of it. It's nice and comfy. I hardly notice it holstered doing my daily stuff. The slide has grooves cut into it to help when gripping, and these tore my palm up while I was practicing to get the feel of it. I ended up putting gaffer tape over the grooves to minimize this, and now it's just fine. The grip is nice, a good size and feel, but I think I'm going to grind off the little lip on the bottom of the magazine that pokes out into my pinky.

#7 ·
The grip is nice, a good size and feel, but I think I'm going to grind off the little lip on the bottom of the magazine that pokes out into my pinky.
One alternative to this is to use the steel flat baseplate instead of the plastic base.

which has your vote ?
One advantage the Kahr has over the PF9 is in barrel length. While the two are about the same overall length, the Kahr's barrel is 1/2" longer.

Either pistol will fill your needs. I'd get the one I liked better as to grip/ trigger/ "feel" wise.

#6 ·
I carry my PF-9 daily in the warmer months when a small gun is in order. It's been 100% reliable, very accurate, has 3 dots which many small guns dont and has no issue shooting JHP. The only must for the PF-9 is the Hogue handall jr. The grip on PF-9's is very aggressive and for me hurts. With the handall it is very comfortable in the hand and doesnt really add size. I went back and forth on the kahr and the lc9 when I bought it and happy with my choice.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
I have both guns, or should I say that the wife has both guns.

Both the PF9 and the CW9 have run without issue for us, and I wouldn't hesitate to carry either one.

However, the CW9 is hands down, easier shooting and has a much better trigger than the PF9. The CW9 is much easier to maintain. The PF9 required nightly wipedown with a silicon cloth to keep it from rusting because of the heat and humidity here in Texas.

Neither of them are what I would consider "pocket" sized guns. But then again, I don't wear baggy pants or jeans. The wife carried her PF9, and now the CW9 in a Remora holster and loves it. I carry my CW45 in a Remora holster as well.

For the money I would go with the CW9. Good luck with your decision.

#10 ·
I have three PF-9's, a CW9 and CM9. PF-9 and CM9 are very close in size....CW is substantially larger than the CW9. While I have never had an issue with
my PF-9's and like them a lot, the Kahrs are just a more refined pistol than the Keltec.....and more expensive by about $100. Accuracy out of my PF-9's is
scary accurate for such a small pistol. Accuracy from the Kahr's is primo, too. Reliability has been perfect out of all my Keltecs and Kahrs, but they do require
a bit of work to get them that way. The infamous Keltec Fluff & Buff is a procedure I now do for ALL my guns, as it seems to ensure reliable function...simple
buffing of the feed ramp and smoothing all sharp items that may impeded the cartridge feed into the chamber.

for pocket carry go with either the CM9 or PF-9. CW9 is a great jacket pocket, IWB or fanny pack gun.

#11 ·
I have one Keltec PF-9 & several Kahrs. The OP first asked about which for IWB carry, then gun quality, then pocket carry. So I'll try to be clear. IWB carry=CW9. Overall quality=CW9. Pocket carry=PF-9.

#17 ·
:read1:

9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we DO NOT allow the discussion of these topics.

It's not complicated...

:hand15:

Reactions: 68blackbird
#25 ·
Absolutely correct, and thank you for that "PSA."

You'll notice several posts deleted from this thread, and at least one infraction has been earned for a useless and inflammatory post. The thread has value for continued discussion minus those annoyances, so there's no need to lock it down unless there is more bad judgement displayed.

#19 ·
Not trying to play mod or anything...

But anytime we can self-police it makes things run smoother around here...

That and the fact I've been eyeballing both of these lately and I don't want to see the thread locked.

As far as kicking the hornets nest... no problem... I'm worse about doing that than anyone I know!!!

peace... :hand15:

#22 ·
I have carried both. used the KT pf-9 for 2 years till I bought a cw9 used from a disgruntled owner. Been a great pistol for me. Like it so much I bought bought a cm9 to replace the pf-9 for pocket duty and then sold the pf-9. Both do the job well. The kahr will cost you 100 bucks more.

You may want to add the KT P-11 to your mix as the weight is between the cw9 and pf-9 and its a 10 shoot double stack and also easy on recoil. If it matters it cost the same as the pf-9, 250 to 260 dollars. What I like about the kahr line is there easier on the shooter. Smooth lighter trigger pull and small to large models they all feel the same in the hand as far as the poly framed models go .

#24 ·
For a concealed carry try the Kahr CM9. A little smaller than the CW, but same basically the same 9mm performance after a 200 round break in period. Velocity probably down a little because of the shorter barrel, but not enough to matter in close quarters w/ good defensive ammo. 6 round mag.

#26 ·

IMO...the PF9 is good "bang for the buck." The gun is inexpensive ($270), goes bang when you pull the trigger (albeit long double action only), and is accurate. It is plain jane and not fancy but it works. It is, however, bordering on too big for front pocket carry. It can certainly be done, depending on the size of your pockets. The Kahr CW9 is a little bigger than the PF9.

The Kahr PM9 and the Kimber Solo are both smaller, both easier to pocket carry, and both with better fit and finish. But both are more expensive. I own the PF9 and the Solo, and my sister in law owns the PM9. I have handled and shot all three. For pocket carry, 9mm, it is hard to beat the PM9 or Solo....

#29 ·
I have owned both. I didn't have any issues with my Kel-Tec PF-9 other than the heavy recoil. It is a little thinner than thr Kahr, but I find the Kahr very easy ti carry IWB and in the pocket of larger pants. The trigger is so much nicer on the Kahr and the recoil is much softer. The Kahr is just a better gun in my opinion. The KT is a good choicd too, I just like the Kahr better.

#30 ·
Comparing a PF-9 to a Kahr, the closest comparison would be to a CM9 - and the Kahr wins, hands down except for price.

#33 ·
I have had a PF-9 for about 2 years now. It has been a great gun for EDC. I thought about trading it in on a "better gun" a few months ago and discussed it on this forum. I considered the Kahr as an upgrade. I thought long and hard about it. I ended up buying a Springfield Armory XD9 SC to be my "nice gun" and kept the Kel-Tec to serve in its utilitarian role. The Springfield is a superior weapon in many ways but I would never lug that thing around everywhere I go. The PF9 can go with you everywhere and not cause you any worry. No need to spend time fretting about hurting the finish on it because it is ugly to begin with! My Kel Tec has performed flawlessly since day 1. I would recommend the fluff and buff treatment prescribed before using the weapon and running a few hundred rounds through it. If you have a "good one" it will serve you well, if not Kel-Tec will make good on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.