My Girsan 1911 disassembled pictures

This is a discussion on My Girsan 1911 disassembled pictures within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I disassembled my Girsan brand 1911 all the way. I took pictures of everything and uploaded them into a winrar file for everyone to ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By humblenutto
  • 1 Post By OD*

Thread: My Girsan 1911 disassembled pictures

My Girsan 1911 disassembled pictures

So I disassembled my Girsan brand 1911 all the way. I took pictures of everything and uploaded them into a winrar file for everyone to look at.

Girsan 1911 Disassembly Pics.rar - Speedy Share - upload your files here

Hope that upload page works. I also put a few pics on photobuck to be used to see in this thread. The fit and finish to me looks darn nice on the gun. I have been absolutely impressed with the gun. I have though changed out the original wood grips as well as the front sight. I did have a few minor gripes with the gun. I didn't like the brown wood grips as a color aesthetically so I replaced those. I didn't like the front sight post which was a really tall plain black blade. The front sight was causing me to aim too low when shooting. The last bit I don't like is the safety switch. I'm not sure if it shows up in the pictures, but the "point" of the safety switch by the beaver tail wasn't beveled down. Which means when I go to change the safety while holding the firearm it digs a bit into the webbing of my thumb. Not enough to cut me, but enough to cause a little pinch. Still for $500 those are all minor fixes I can deal with and cheap.

Here's a family pic of my handguns minus my SR22 which is at ruger being fixed.

Here are some solo pics of the Girsan.

Original wood grips

And here are some disassembly pictures.

Let me know what you guys think.
    rigel42 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Very nice! I actually picked up the Tisas 1911 from Buds gun shop not that long ago and replaced the grip safety,. hammer, trigger, safety and grips. Got some trijicon sights as well that need to be installed. I have been very impressed with these little Turkish 1911's.

That's disassembled, alright. Now I know why I've stuck with field stripping.

Good-looking 1911, there. Never heard of Girsan, before.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That's disassembled, alright. Now I know why I've stuck with field stripping.

Good-looking 1911, there. Never heard of Girsan, before.
    There are several of the Turkish made 1911s imported under different brand names. Regent R100 is another;

QKShooter likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Well last night I ordered a few replacement parts for the MIM pieces I found in the gun. The only MIM pieces I found was the hammer strut and the barrel link. The sear leaf spring was decent, but I wanted something a little bit better so I ordered a replacement wolf one. Other than that, everything else in the gun looks forged or at least not made by the MIM process. I might change out the trigger to something a tiny bit lighter as well. The pieces I've replaced thus far have been cheap. Grips were the Striker Polymer grips for $15 from Brownells, the front sight was a HiViz fiber for $30 from Amazon, and the other pieces were all about $5 to $7 a pop to replace. Which ended up about $80 extra so far for the gun. $500 for the gun, $20 for the FFL transfer, and $80 in replacement parts to get exactly how I want it. Cheap in my opinion to have a 1911 this good. I did grab a file and beveled out that corner as well. Which was free to do.

Now my only regret is buying a few crummy magazines I wish I hadn't bought. Chip McCormick shooting stars are complete junk. Weak spring, and the follower is absolute garbage. Oh well, sometimes you have to make a mistake to understand what you should NOT do the next time.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; March 26th, 2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: language violation

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    There are several of the Turkish made 1911s imported under different brand names. Regent R100 is another;

I've checked out a Regent, and I wasn't terribly impressed- the magazine had to be slammed home, and pulled back out of the well- it wouldn't drop more than 1/3" just pressing the mag release. Given some time alone with it, to clean and polish, I'm sure it would turn out really nice. But I wasn't impressed overall.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    Bud's Gun Shop really sings the praises of specifically the Girsan.

How is it on fit/accuracy/reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by humblenutto View Post
    Well last night I ordered a few replacement parts for the MIM pieces I found in the gun.
    And what is your technical reason for removing internal MIM parts?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post

The Regent 1911's are made by TISAS out of Turkey. TISAS makes really good 1911's.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    And what is your technical reason for removing internal MIM parts?
    Nothing really. MIM pieces for what is in there should hold up well enough for the most part, although I can see the hammer strut getting a bit more pressure wear causing a possible break more than the other parts. Still, MIM parts are a bit more prone to impurities forming while being created. All it takes is one impurity or bubble and CRACK! For $5 to replace a MIM piece with something forged and less likely to have that problem... why not switch it out? Unless the $5 really is a show stopper for a $500 firearm purchase.

As for the fit and finish. The finish on the grip frame, slide, and barrel are outstanding. The blueing finish on some of the internal pieces is not the best. Then again, I can't think of one single manufacturer that does a perfect finish on every internal piece of a firearm.

The fit is TIGHT though. It was a serious pain in the posterior to get that main housing spring back on with the hammer strut in the right place. Better that than overly worn out springs and loose fitting for sure. The slide to frame play is nonexistent.

There is very little tooling marks on anything but the inside of the mag well and the MIM parts. I think I'll be smoothing over the mag well later. The mags go in and come out easily enough, but don't drop free exactly. Just takes a little bit of work in there to solve that. Others have their Girsan magazines drop free from what I've watched on youtube.

From what I can tell, this was a great purchase at the price I paid. Easily better than many of the $700-$1000 1911's I've seen which include Taurus, Remington, Ruger, S&W, and Sig in that price range. Not that hard either to change a few pieces and tune it up to be just as good as anything out there.

Fiber sights

Quote Originally Posted by humblenutto View Post
    Well last night I ordered a few replacement parts for the MIM pieces I found in the gun. The only MIM pieces I found was the hammer strut and the barrel link. The sear leaf spring was decent, but I wanted something a little bit better so I ordered a replacement wolf one. Other than that, everything else in the gun looks forged or at least not made by the MIM process. I might change out the trigger to something a tiny bit lighter as well. The pieces I've replaced thus far have been cheap. Grips were the Striker Polymer grips for $15 from Brownells, the front sight was a HiViz fiber for $30 from Amazon, and the other pieces were all about $5 to $7 a pop to replace. Which ended up about $80 extra so far for the gun. $500 for the gun, $20 for the FFL transfer, and $80 in replacement parts to get exactly how I want it. Cheap in my opinion to have a 1911 this good. I did grab a file and beveled out that corner as well. Which was free to do.

Now my only regret is buying a few crummy magazines I wish I hadn't bought. Chip McCormick shooting stars are complete junk. Weak spring, and the follower is absolute garbage. Oh well, sometimes you have to make a mistake to understand what you should NOT do the next time.
    Do you remember which HiViz sights worked from Amazon? I like yours and was looking to upgrade my Girsan. Amazon shows HiViz sights that fit Taurus, Springfield, Colt etc. Do you remember which worked for you and is that what you used on the rear as well?

Quote Originally Posted by drtroyz View Post
    Do you remember which HiViz sights worked from Amazon? I like yours and was looking to upgrade my Girsan. Amazon shows HiViz sights that fit Taurus, Springfield, Colt etc. Do you remember which worked for you and is that what you used on the rear as well?
    Was the springfield HiViz sight I used. Worked just fine. Punch out the old sight with a wooden dowel and punch in the new one the same way. I haven't changed the rear on. I was looking to do so later, but all the rear ones I want that are adjustable are like $100+ and I'm thinking that is just far too much for adjustable rear sights. Waiting until I can find the right deal for something that fits.

Nice stuff!

mkh
    Thanks for posting the pics. Never heard of a Girsan before. I'll look into it when I get around to buying another 1911.

Links