Bought my first "Snubbie" and I think I like it!

This is a discussion on Bought my first "Snubbie" and I think I like it! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know, it isn't a Smith or something "nice", but the price was right and I figured it was a cheap way to test the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Bought my first "Snubbie" and I think I like it!

Bought my first "Snubbie" and I think I like it!

I know, it isn't a Smith or something "nice", but the price was right and I figured it was a cheap way to test the waters of the wheel gun. Gotta say, I am loving this little thing. Couple confessions:

1. I carried it AIWB which I said I would never do. I like carrying it this way a LOT. I made a quick run to the auto parts store, tossed it in my waist, and away I went. Even with a tighter shirt it did not print one bit.
    2. I like the weight of it. I think it is 26.5 oz so not light by any means, but it carries as easily as my Glock 23 (in fact, easier).
    3. I like having a "magnum" caliber. I sort of feel like a Dirty Harry.
    4. The mirror finish blueing on the gun is classy and a little nostolgic. Reminds me of a simpler time.

As you can see from the pics, it isn't all that much smaller than my Glock, but the handle is what makes AIWB a winner. I can see this going with me on overnight out of town trips and such.

Anyways, thought I'd share.
    Attached Images
    wmhawth, JT353 and jblitz like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

2. Remove Ads

I carry my snubbie AIWB and it works so well there. It fulfills its purpose 100 times over.

Congrats on the new wheel gun, you're going to love it.
    oneshot likes this.

Congrats on the new revolver. +1 on the ease of carry. They are a great option when you don't feel like gearing up and still being reasonably armed. A strip or speed loader and you're set IMO.
    oneshot likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Congrats on the new revolver. +1 on the ease of carry. They are a great option when you don't feel like gearing up and still being reasonably armed. A strip or speed loader and you're set IMO.
    Indeed. And unlike my original fear, with a 6 shot I do not feel undergunned. Don't get me wrong, Mr. Glock isn't going to get unseated by this guy (at least, I don't think so), but having the option to toss this on and go is nice.

Edit: and side benefit, I can actually FIND .357 mag ammo
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

...my son's had a little Rossi J frame 3" stainless .38 since he was 12-7 years now...and it shoots great...I'd suggest you get a clip-in soft leather or nylon holster, just so that the butt's right where you put it if you reach for it...and you're good to go...I've recommended Rossi since they took a huge jump in quality in the 80s...and the prices are reasonable...

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...my son's had a little Rossi J frame 3" stainless .38 since he was 12-7 years now...and it shoots great...I'd suggest you get a clip-in soft leather or nylon holster, just so that the butt's right where you put it if you reach for it...and you're good to go...I've recommended Rossi since they took a huge jump in quality in the 80s...and the prices are reasonable...
    I'm in this one for $250. Not too shabby IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    3. I like having a "magnum" caliber. I sort of feel like a Dirty Harry.
    Mindset is Key!! And that mindset isn't a bad one to have! Dirty Harry was a good freaking shot lol.

Oh man did I get a kick from that lol - I felt the same way when I got my SP-101!

If this is your first wheelgun, chances are it won't be your last! Welcome to the club.
    Snub44, FlaRon and Bad Bob like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If this is your first wheelgun, chances are it won't be your last! Welcome to the club.
    Yes. First one. Gotta be honest, I was eyeing an SP101 3" gun at the LGS too. I figure if I like this one, I may go that route next. Of course, I wouldn't mind having Colt Python either......just call me a "Ricktator" (Walking Dead fans should get that one).

VIP Member
    Welcome to the "old school," fella. That little heater will scatter the rats and impress the dames at the same time! They'll think you're Clark Gable!

Time to start "point shooting" at 5 - 7 yards now.....
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Good on your first revolver purchase. As others have said it will not be your last.

My Glock 23 is my primary EDC carried AIWB in a High Noon Public Secret holster.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Having said that there are those times when my S&W Model 60 fills the need for a smaller gun also carried in a Public Secret holster.

Image 1.jpg Image.jpg
    click image to enlarge...

And the Ruger SP-101 gets it's time in the rotation because I too like the .357. It is carried in a Side Guard Quick Clip holster.

photo.jpg photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon
    Last edited by FlaRon; March 25th, 2013 at 08:48 AM.
    GhostMaker and glockman10mm like this.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Yes. First one. Gotta be honest, I was eyeing an SP101 3" gun at the LGS too. I figure if I like this one, I may go that route next. Of course, I wouldn't mind having Colt Python either......just call me a "Ricktator" (Walking Dead fans should get that one).
    I really wanted to like my Ruger. When folks say it's built like a tank, they really mean it's built like a tank. Ultimately though, I had a hard time handling it - it just didn't balance well for me. Moreover, it felt heavier to me than it is and I found the trigger to be horrible and gritty. But I wanted to love it in the worst way lol so...

I began the process of finding someone who would smooth out the trigger, and researching grips when my buddy who had shot it began to hound me to sell it to him instead... I did. To this day he continues to love that gun and still smiles every time I ask - I think he thinks he robbed me of it lol.

Anyway, if you do like the Ruger's though - have a look at Gemini Customs. He's the gent I started talking to before buddy had his way. Man... they do great things to Rugers and thinking back... maybe I should have held onto it.

Warning...you can't have just ONE!!! You'll have more snubbies, then larger frame wheel guns, then you'll find yourself drifting straight towards the revolver section in your local gun shop. I'm about 50/50 wheelies and autoloaders.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Uh oh...now you went and done it. You went and got your first wheelie gun.

Welcome to a whole new addiction, LOL!

Not only are revolvers inherently accurate, but since they have no recoil spring...you take the full brunt of a magnum load with every shot and to me, it just feels like...power! There is a huge difference between being a semi-auto shooter and then experiencing the pure joy of firing off a LOUD, hard recoiling wheel gun. There just is NO substitute!

Also...OP, you just woke me up to a great idea. I have a DeSantis Sof-Tuck holster that I use to AIWB my M&P Shield, but it also happens to be just the right size for my Smith 442. Two guns that can use the same holster is a good thing...especially if one is an auto and the other is a revolver.
    BugDude likes this.

congrats on the new revlover. I have a rossi 38 snubbie and love it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links