Sig p239 owners - safe carry?

This is a discussion on Sig p239 owners - safe carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To the Sig 239 owners, how do you carry? Chambered with the hammer down? Chambered with the hammer cocked? Or unchambered? I recently got a ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By ng
  • 1 Post By rstickle
  • 2 Post By OldMick
  • 2 Post By sensei2
  • 1 Post By SIGguy229
  • 1 Post By SIGguy229

Thread: Sig p239 owners - safe carry?

ng [OP]

Sig p239 owners - safe carry?

To the Sig 239 owners, how do you carry? Chambered with the hammer down? Chambered with the hammer cocked? Or unchambered? I recently got a 239 SAS gen2, and want to make sure I'm carrying it as safely as possible. I'm planning on chambered hammer down. What about the rest of you?
    anglertoo likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I do not own one however I would venture a guess that most people carrying them how most double action/single action guns with a decocker are carried. That being a round chambered with the hammer down.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The decocking lever is there for a reason. Chambered and hammer down.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Lead Moderator
    Chambered with the hammer down. Make sure you use the decocker to put the hammer down!
    commonground likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by commonground View Post
    If there is a BG trying to mug you, should you use the decocker or just let the firearm make that loud noise?
    Not sure what the decocker has to do with unholstering and firing the gun. But maybe I don't understand your question/point.

I carry a 239TT with a round chambered and decocked using the decocker, because this method lets the hammer fall to the intercept notch and the firing pin safety is never deactivated. Pulling the trigger and thumbing the hammer down deactivates both of those safety mechanisms.

When I holster it, I put my thumb on the side of the hammer so I can feel it start to raise if something in or around the holster is pushing the trigger rearward. The long DA portion of the DA/SA trigger makes it very safe, at least to my way of thinking.
    sensei2 and JT353 like this.

If there is a BG trying to mug you, should you use the decocker or just let the firearm make that loud noise?
    huh?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by ng View Post
    To the Sig 239 owners, how do you carry? Chambered with the hammer down? Chambered with the hammer cocked? Or unchambered? I recently got a 239 SAS gen2, and want to make sure I'm carrying it as safely as possible. I'm planning on chambered hammer down. What about the rest of you?
    Most certainly not chambered with hammer cocked on a gun that doesn't have a safety. Chambered, hammer decocked.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

i carry my 239/9mm with a chambered round and the hammer lowered using the decocking lever. my guess is that most Sig owners do the same.

if you're uncertain about the safety of carrying the gun with a round in the chamber, perform the following drill. with an un-loaded gun, please. it doesn't matter whether you have no mag in the gun or an empty mag to do this. with finger off the trigger, note the position of the hammer: it's NOT contacting the back of the slide and thus the firing pin. there is about a 1/8" gap between the hammer and the slide. try pushing the hammer forward - it won't go. then, with an empty gun, point the gun in a safe direction, and pull the trigger AND HOLD IT TO THE REAR. then look at the position of the hammer - it's still 1/8" away from the back of the slide, having struck the firing pin when you pulled the trigger and rebounded. now, while continuing to hold the trigger back, try again to push the hammer forward against the rear of the slide, and you will find that the hammer can now be pushed against the back of the slide. now release the trigger and let it go forward. try once again to push the hammer against the back of the slide and the firing pin. it won't go forward. this is because the hammer is once again blocked from the firing pin. there is no way, barring a severe mechanical failure, that the hammer can hit the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.

so you can carry a Sig with a chambered round and nothing will cause that round to fire except pulling the trigger. you could drop the gun on the hammer or on the muzzle and the gun won't go off. this is true for virtually every modern-designed firearm that i know of.
    BlueHawk76 and ng like this.

Chambered, hammer down. That's how it was designed to be carried.

It IS NOT a 1911-style pistol.

The safety is between your ears and keeping your booger-hook off the bang switch.

The decocker is there to drop the hammer safely. I will block the firing pin and prevent the gun from discharging when letting down the hammer.

DO NOT "thumb down" the hammer. If/when you do so: it is contrary to the safe operation of the firearm; if/when you have a negligent discharge and you will break your thumb, and hopefully not put a hole in somone else (or yourself)
    sensei2 likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by OldMick View Post
    Not sure what the decocker has to do with unholstering and firing the gun. But maybe I don't understand your question/point.

I carry a 239TT with a round chambered and decocked using the decocker, because this method lets the hammer fall to the intercept notch and the firing pin safety is never deactivated. Pulling the trigger and thumbing the hammer down deactivates both of those safety mechanisms.

When I holster it, I put my thumb on the side of the hammer so I can feel it start to raise if something in or around the holster is pushing the trigger rearward. The long DA portion of the DA/SA trigger makes it very safe, at least to my way of thinking.
    Sorry OldMick, After reading the post I realized that it was confusing. When I tried to edit it, I must have deleted it. Oh well.....
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

Sorry OldMick, After reading the post I realized that it was confusing. When I tried to edit it, I must have deleted it. Oh well.....
    Not a problem, I'm sure some of mine fall into the same category.

The SAS Gen 2 is meant to be carried with a round in the chamber, with the hammer decocked through the use of the decocker.

I have one on 357/40 and carry it decocked this way.

ng [OP]
    Thanks for your insight, folks! My main concern was with dropping the gun on the hammer and having an accidental discharge. I couldn't find anything in the manual about it, hence checking here.

Thanks for your insight, folks! My main concern was with dropping the gun on the hammer and having an accidental discharge. I couldn't find anything in the manual about it, hence checking here.
    The firing pin block prevents the firing pin from striking the primer...the trigger must be pulled, thus moving the firing pin block out of the way (also known as the "Safety Lock" (part #13 on your parts list as shown in the users manual.

As designed, and if in proper working order, the pistol will not fire if dropped. This does NOT take into consideration fumble finger attempting to "catch" said P239 in mid-air, activating the trigger and creating a negligent discharge..."it just went off!!"
    Curzyk likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The Sig Sauer P239 should ideally be carried with a round chambered and the hammer down. As others have mentioned, after you chamber a round, simply use the de-cocker lever to safely put the hammer back down.

Links