Keltec PMR-30 22 Magnum - A Defensive Round??

This is a discussion on Keltec PMR-30 22 Magnum - A Defensive Round?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. I'm a big believer in knowing your limitations - and right now I have two big ones. So I need your help and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Keltec PMR-30 22 Magnum - A Defensive Round??

  1. #1
    Member Array saa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    278

    Keltec PMR-30 22 Magnum - A Defensive Round??

    Hello all.
    I'm a big believer in knowing your limitations - and right now I have two big ones. So I need your help and input.

    I saw the Keltec PMR-30 and was impressed: 30 rounds, 22 Magnum, super light, all sounds good.

    Here's what I don't know: Anything about Keltec. I saw them as the "Kia" of guns, no offense to Keltec owners. I just have no experience with them, period.

    They seem really... plastic-ee. I know, but it's the only way I can describe it. They are not Glock polymer (heavy, robust, or seemingly so). They seem like plastic gun case... plastic - light, flexible, you get the idea.

    Does anyone have experience with Keltec and their reliability, etc?

    Is this PMR-30 a $900 gun? (yes, that's the price of one today; $415 Retail List)

    Second issue: 22 Magnum cartridge. Is this, or can this be considered a defensive round? I know they make hollowpoints for them, but are they effective? I could find little on penetration and ballistics.

    Any info on this decision is appreciated in advance.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

    "The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Ex Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,960
    I will say this about that weapon system. I really do not think a BG will want to get shot with 30 rounds of .22 mag....

  4. #3
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,448
    IMHO, it's not that it couldn't be a defensive round, it's that there are so many other better choices. Rimfire cartridges also have greater potential to be less reliable.

    That said, I actually like Keltec and think they're an okay entry-level priced firearm in general, but to pay $900 for one, defeats the purpose of buying a Keltec.

    Go get you a nice $290 PF-9 and carry on .
    zonker1986, 40Bob and FlaRon like this.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array rammerjammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    3,367
    I am a Kel Tec hater after my PF9 experience.

    Yes, they look cheap because they are cheap. They look like they were made in a dimly lit Chinese garage.

    If you are lucky and don't get a lemon from Kel Tec good on ya. If you're like me and get a POS there is nothing you can do but sell it off or throw it away.

    I would never trust my life to a Kel Tec.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

    Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array zonker1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    3,436
    I would by a .22 Magnum Keltec for $300 in a New York second. I would NEVER pay $900 for a Keltec pistol.
    Like WHEC724 said, get a Keltec PF-9 9mm and call it a day.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

  7. #6
    Member Array Cyberbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Beatrice Nebraska
    Posts
    35
    When the PMR 30 came out I was really wanting one bad, I've got the AMT Automag in stainless but it is huge in the grip and quite heavy. Unfortunately, the PMR became too popular too fast and the market price soared. Shortly there after however, Keltec had a recall on them and stopped shipping for quite some time. Look into it, there were problems, I even heard they were recalling a bunch that were already sold but few people sent them back... liked it too much I guess. Good luck on finding one, just make sure it is safe to shoot.

  8. #7
    Member Array nathanjns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Behind the Sights
    Posts
    309
    Neither a Kel-Tec or the 22 Magnum would be my first choice if I had $900 to spend. Better guns and more effective cartridges exist for that kind of money. Not saying you would be poorly armed, just that I think you could do better. For example: Glock ( or equivalent ) 9mm, 40 or 45 with extra magazine for $650 and $250 worth of ammo would be a better buy IMO.

  9. #8
    Moderator
    Array bmcgilvray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,944
    I know a guy who has PMR 30 and he doesn't report any issues with it. The .22 Magnum wouldn't be my choice to feed through any semi-automatic delivery system. It's way long for cartridge diameter and has a rim, both of which are less conducive to reliable feeding. The .22 Magnum, when fired from a handgun length barrel, will just about equal a .22 Long Rifle cartridge fired from a rifle-length barrel. I could live with a .22 rifle for self-defense but would like something throwing more bullet weight.

    Aside from the cartridge, I don't do "plastic-ee" so appreciate what you are saying about the overall feel of the pistol. Plastic doesn't bother most folks these days and so is no hindrance to a firearm's popularity with the public.
    FlaRon likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

    Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

  10. #9
    Member Array saa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    IMHO, it's not that it couldn't be a defensive round, it's that there are so many other better choices. Rimfire cartridges also have greater potential to be less reliable.

    That said, I actually like Keltec and think they're an okay entry-level priced firearm in general, but to pay $900 for one, defeats the purpose of buying a Keltec.

    Go get you a nice $290 PF-9 and carry on .
    I agree with you 100%, and here's the funny thing: I have all the other guns. 9's, 40's, 45's, 380, 25acp. In nearly every format, 1911, m&p, shield, etc.

    My intrigue with this gun was the 30 rounds! And that 22 magnum is a stout round, albeit a 22, but like Harryball said - 30 rounds is not going to be pleasant.

    The other interest, ease of control for my wife. She shoots a 45 very well, but we'd all like the power of a 45 with the recoil of the 22. Normally, I'd say you were spot on with the "much better round" info - agreed - but combined with quantity, is this gun now a contender for personal defense?

    I do think the price is crazy at this point, but money's not my biggest issue. Thanks for the input.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

    "The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array 40Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Where the deer and the antelope roam
    Posts
    2,786
    For $900 you can get a much better pistol in a much better cartridge that is the same size.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

  12. #11
    Member Array saa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I am a Kel Tec hater after my PF9 experience.

    Yes, they look cheap because they are cheap. They look like they were made in a dimly lit Chinese garage.

    If you are lucky and don't get a lemon from Kel Tec good on ya. If you're like me and get a POS there is nothing you can do but sell it off or throw it away.

    I would never trust my life to a Kel Tec.
    I appreciate that feedback. I too, think they feel cheap, but the machining and fit and finish seems good (on this one). But it doesn't feel right to me.

    In all fairness, I'm used to Glocks and Colt 1911's, so it's hard to compare by weight. Airplanes are light but stand up to great stress loads. I trust my life in the cockpit... I'm just saying that's my dilema. Your feedback helps because I'm a big believer in support. Thanks.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

    "The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

  13. #12
    Member Array saa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I would by a .22 Magnum Keltec for $300 in a New York second. I would NEVER pay $900 for a Keltec pistol.
    Like WHEC724 said, get a Keltec PF-9 9mm and call it a day.
    I ccw a glock 26, gen4. So it wouldn't be carry, for sure, but the more I hear from you guys (Thanks Zonker), I don't like it. And if this was at the retail price of $415 there wouldn't even have been a post. I would have walked out with it just for range fun. For $900 I can get several much better firearm products.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

    "The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

  14. #13
    Member Array saa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberbach View Post
    When the PMR 30 came out I was really wanting one bad, I've got the AMT Automag in stainless but it is huge in the grip and quite heavy. Unfortunately, the PMR became too popular too fast and the market price soared. Shortly there after however, Keltec had a recall on them and stopped shipping for quite some time. Look into it, there were problems, I even heard they were recalling a bunch that were already sold but few people sent them back... liked it too much I guess. Good luck on finding one, just make sure it is safe to shoot.
    That settles it for me. Game over. I appreciate that!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanjns View Post
    Neither a Kel-Tec or the 22 Magnum would be my first choice if I had $900 to spend. Better guns and more effective cartridges exist for that kind of money. Not saying you would be poorly armed, just that I think you could do better. For example: Glock ( or equivalent ) 9mm, 40 or 45 with extra magazine for $650 and $250 worth of ammo would be a better buy IMO.
    Yes, you are right and the list goes on so on to the next one. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I know a guy who has PMR 30 and he doesn't report any issues with it. The .22 Magnum wouldn't be my choice to feed through any semi-automatic delivery system. It's way long for cartridge diameter and has a rim, both of which are less conducive to reliable feeding. The .22 Magnum, when fired from a handgun length barrel, will just about equal a .22 Long Rifle cartridge fired from a rifle-length barrel. I could live with a .22 rifle for self-defense but would like something throwing more bullet weight.

    Aside from the cartridge, I don't do "plastic-ee" so appreciate what you are saying about the overall feel of the pistol. Plastic doesn't bother most folks these days and so is no hindrance to a firearm's popularity with the public.
    I was leary of polymer altogether, for a while, but Glock sold me. I LOVE STEEL! Please don't shoot me, 1911 fans, I have them and love them! I just also like a good, quality, polymer frame gun too. (keys good and quality!)

    Now I'm waiting for Rock River's Poly 1911 (OK, here come the rocks again...), but it's getting good reviews. I'm just sayin'... open mind guys. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    For $900 you can get a much better pistol in a much better cartridge that is the same size.
    Agreed! And I have them. I thought I might be selling Keltec short but my gut seems like it was right.

    Thanks all. Much appreciated.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

    "The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

  15. #14
    Member Array saa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    IMHO, it's not that it couldn't be a defensive round, it's that there are so many other better choices. Rimfire cartridges also have greater potential to be less reliable.

    That said, I actually like Keltec and think they're an okay entry-level priced firearm in general, but to pay $900 for one, defeats the purpose of buying a Keltec.

    Go get you a nice $290 PF-9 and carry on .
    That's a good point and I'm not really an entry level buyer anyway. Another reason I shyed away from Keltec altogether, not really my thing. But the 30 rounds got my attention.

    Unfortunetely for them, the attention didn't last long! I appreciate all of the input from everyone and so quick. Thanks again.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

    "The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

  16. #15
    Senior Member Array tclance's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    CSRA, GA
    Posts
    1,052
    FYI Friedmans Jewlers in Augusta GA has one for sale for $589
    TC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

kel tec pmr 30
,

kel tec pmr 30 for sale

,
kel tec pmr 30 price
,
kel tec pmr 30 recall
,
kel tec pmr-30 for sale
,
kel-tec pmr-30 for sale
,
keltec pmr30
,
pmr 30
,

pmr 30 for sale

,
pmr 30 price
,
pmr-30 for sale
,
pmr30
Click on a term to search for related topics.