9mm throw down: G26 vs Shield

This is a discussion on 9mm throw down: G26 vs Shield within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to add another 9mm to my collection. I carry a Kahr CM9 in a pocket holster and now I'm looking for a slightly larger, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 9mm throw down: G26 vs Shield

Looking to add another 9mm to my collection. I carry a Kahr CM9 in a pocket holster and now I'm looking for a slightly larger, higher capacity 9mm as well. So, if you could only own one which would you carry and why:

G26
    Or
    S&W Shield

Thanks!

The Shield is quite a bit thinner than the Glock which improves concealability, but for capacity the obvious choice is the G26, 10 round mag vs 7 or 8 for the Shield. Don't think you could go wrong with either one.

There is no wrong answer here: both weapons are excellent. However, since you already have a single stack 9, you might as well go for the slightly bulkier, higher capacity Glock. I'm in the other camp: I already have a Glock (19 not 26, though) in which I love and I'm in the market for an easier concealable M&P Shield. Good luck to you!
    Brad426 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trex33 View Post
    Looking to add another 9mm to my collection. I carry a Kahr CM9 in a pocket holster and now I'm looking for a slightly larger, higher capacity 9mm as well. So, if you could only own one which would you carry and why:

G26
    Or
    S&W Shield

Thanks!
    The Shield only gives you one more round than the CM9 (assuming you have the extended magazine).....not sure that makes much difference, so if higher capacity is your goal, choose the glock.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    FWIW, I have a 9mm Shield and a Glock 27. The Shield is a little easier and more comfortable to conceal. However, I shoot much more accurately with the Glock.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Get the 26. You can run the G19(15round) mags with a X-Grip spacer.

I'd get the Glock. I always shoot Glocks better than anything else. Also, extra mags for the Glock are plentiful and much cheaper than the S&W,

How about trigger pull? I own a Glock 23 so I'm familiar with the Glock trigger, how does the Shield compare?

The shield has an excellent trigger. Short crisp and awesome in my OP. I would be happy to carry either , it would depend which one became available first
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Heres how I decide these issues; never buy a S&W pistol unless its a revolver. Up until the Governor is was the only thing they did not have to copy to get right.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have the glock 26 gen 4 with plus 2 on the mags. Witch I love. I was also looking at the S&W M&P9c. The reason I got the G26 was I had not shot the M&P9c and found the glock for $500 at a local gun show. Does anyone have the M&P9c I would like hear some comparisons between the 2. But like everyone else says you can't go wrong with Glock.

I say try them both and see which one comes up to "point" right out of the holster. I like the mag capacity of the Glock, but the Smith's are just natural in my hand.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Odd as it may sound the .320 inch longer barrel of the Glock would tip the scales toward Glock for me.

VIP Member
    since you asked me what I would get. Not what I think you should get I can tell you.

G-26. You can use the G-19 mags and it is a great carry gun with lots of holser options. It fits my hand well and I can shoot it good.
    The other gun I like in 9MM with some capacity is the Sig M11a1 but it is a bit larger than the 26 but holds 15+1.
    for the price it is hard to top the Glock!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

g26shie.jpgI have both the shield and g26. I was going to trade one becuase they are both similar in purpose but I wont give up either. I have trigger kit in both and I have to say the shield trigger is amazing and it is a breeze to carry. The glock is also easy to carry and is a 15 year old design that is highly reliable and versitile. In a perfect world I would have the Shield in 9mm and Glock in .40 ( glock 27, same gun). I would say if you want a gun for strictly carry get the shield, It is an outstanding carry gun and by far the best single stack 9. You wont even notice the shield however you decide to carry it. If you want a little bit more versitile gun to carry and play with at the range that is assured to last a lifetime get the Glock
    BlueHawk76 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links