Range Report 2nd Generation Kel-Tec P3AT

This is a discussion on Range Report 2nd Generation Kel-Tec P3AT within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took the Kel-Tec P3AT to the range today to run a test. Attachment 3308 I carry the P3AT as the second “BUG”. It has never ...

Thread: Range Report 2nd Generation Kel-Tec P3AT

Took the Kel-Tec P3AT to the range today to run a test.

Attachment 3308

I carry the P3AT as the second “BUG”. It has never made it as the replacement to my “BUG”, the S & W model 60. Sometimes I would carry the P3AT as a weekend gun.

But, the P3AT has had some problems, i.e.. FTF and FTE. Out of the box the gun would not shoot, no matter the ammo. Did the fluff and buff, went back to the range and got the same problems. The problems would start at about the 20 to 25 round point. Redone the fluff and buff for a second time and went back to the range. This trip the extractor tip broke off. Kel-Tec mailed the part to me a.s.a.p. Went back to the range. The gun got better, but it does not like hollow point ammo, no matter the brand (factory/reloads). The P3AT loved ball ammo, no matter the brand. At this point I fired approximately 600 round (factory and reloads) total through the gun. Okay, I can live with the hollow point problem, but not with the FTF/FTE problems.

So I came up with this ammo carry plan. The round in the pipe will be a 90 grain Federal Hydra-Shok, and the six rounds in the mag will be 95 grain Remington UMC round nose (ball ammo). Spare mag will have six rounds of the ball ammo. What I was looking for is to fire one mag without any problems, and to reload without the first round going into the FTF mode.

So back to the test of the P3AT. Setup a target at seven feet, took out the P3AT, and fired seven round as fast as I could pull the trigger. Reloaded with the second mag and fired six rounds as fast as I could. This was “Point Shooting” only.

Attachment 3309

The P3AT worked!!! No problems and it gave me a good group. So I reloaded a second set of mags and conducted the test again. Same thing, the P3AT worked!!!

I like this gun; it is small and easy to carry. But, I don’t know if it will make it to first “BUG” status, but I feel better about the gun. I will get the chronograph out and work up somemore reloads with the Speer 88 grain hollow point. I will work on making the gun shoot hollow points without any problems this winter.
    Last edited by frankmako; December 10th, 2006 at 10:09 PM.

I guess each gun is different in one way or another.

I received a new second generation P3AT HC as a gift about a month ago. I have been shooting both Remington 88 grain JHP's and Fiocchi 90 grain FMJHP's without any problems at all.

All I did was give it a good cleaning and head for the range. +1 magazine extenders and a right side belt clip make it a pretty handy little BUG !

Thumbs up

I bought a HC 2G P3AT when they first came out and now almost 1,000 rounds later I have only had 1 FTF and it was shooter related. I actually short stroked the trigger and caused a light primer strike. When I reloaded the round and fired it again I had no problems. Since I have had mine several other people that I work with have also bought HC models and they too have had zero problems. Most of them as I did when I first got mine, took it to the range and fired 200 rounds right out of the box without the benefit of cleaning, lubricating or and F&B.

I have found in my experience that the HC models seem to run 100% out of the box every time compared to the blued models. I have never owned or shot a parkerized model. I think that the HC process at the factory smooths out some of the rough machining spots that may be casuing the blued model owners some problems. I also think that the plating process make the pistol run smoother and I love the 2 tone look.

I daily carry my AT as a BUG when working and mostly as a primary when off in the warm weather months. I am throughly pleased with it and am even considering purchasing another one just to keep on hand.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

Administrator
    I've found the kel tecs to be a bit picky with ammo too. I have a .32 and the 3at, both took some sweet talkin to get eat what I gave it.
    I love them both now, but the boss says no more .32 if your carrying under the dept. banner.

I am now looking at their 9mm, the p-11 and that new one they have out... maybe I'll do a public service test report when I'm done with them.

Gunsmithing

Might be time to take it to a gunsmith who knows the gun. It shouldn't be too expensive. For a complete reliability job, I'd charge about $30. If you can do the fluff n buff, you can probably do a lot of it yourself. Get rid of the "smiley" problem, tune up the magazines, etc.
    http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/index.htm
    is a good site, but....if in doubt, see the gun plumber.

Haha, I shot one of these recently. Big old target at 7 yards.

First magazine, I got one shot on the paper, but realized I was using bad technique.

Second magazine, it was on the paper. All over the place.

Third magazine, well it sort of looked like a group, if there is such thing as an 8" group...

The biggest problem I had was the thing rotates in your hand. You can't help it.

You could put Bersa pinky shelves on the magazines, that might help. Wrapping the grip in a bicycle inner tube 4 or 5 times seems popular too.

My problem with that is, if we're going to bulk it up, why not carry a J frame which is a lot easier to shoot?

I think I'd have to go get some more skateboard tape. I wonder if A Grips makes a P3AT grip?

Just some thoughts. I was impressed the plasticy little thing worked, and I couldn't believe how thin it was.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean View Post

My problem with that is, if we're going to bulk it up, why not carry a J frame which is a lot easier to shoot?
    Just some thoughts. I was impressed the plasticy little thing worked, and I couldn't believe how thin it was.
    You answered your own question. Yes, a J frame could be a better choice, but as a BUG, thin is in. I wear mine at my waist line, under a heavy duty belt. A J frame is plain uncomfortable to wear in that spot. I think kel tec hit the nail on the head for a inexpensive BUG.

Sponsored Links