Odd Malfunction w/ a Glock

This is a discussion on Odd Malfunction w/ a Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally took my CHL class this past weekend. It was taught by the local Police Chief and we used the city range for our ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Odd Malfunction w/ a Glock

Odd Malfunction w/ a Glock

I finally took my CHL class this past weekend. It was taught by the local Police Chief and we used the city range for our qualification. There is a local junior college that has a police academy so the class was in conjunction with that. Anyway, we were using the academy's Glock 17s and reloaded rounds. Shooting in two groups, my Dad shot with the first group and I shot with the second. My Dad and I used the same gun but he had no problems whatsoever. I had 3-4 malfunctions. One stovepipe and at least a couple of FTE. The Chief cleared the gun each time and blamed it on the ammo. At least once was a ruptured case that left my finger stinging. Once the case swelled and stuck inside the barrel. The weird thing is every time I had a malfunction, the magazine dropped out of the gun. I'm not used to Glocks and it was the first time I had shot one. My first thought was maybe my left hand was hitting the mag release when I gripped the gun but the Chief kept blaming it on the ammo and pointed out the ruptured case. It left me with a couple questions and feeling leery of Glocks.

Bottom line: How common is it for a Glock to drop the magazine when there is a FTE/FTF and how likely is it that my hand placement was an issue?

2. Remove Ads

Do you shoot left handed or right handed?
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm not Mr. Glock Expert or anything, but it sure sounds like bad reloads to me.
    Taurahe likes this.

ive never had that happen with my glock 23 or 21. and have put alot of rounds through them. it coulda been the reloads or a old beat up gun who knows. dont let it change your outlook on glocks their great guns and thats probly all ill ever buy is glocks

I would also blame it on reloads and probably a worn out Glock 17.
    darbo likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I shoot right handed and mostly Berettas except for my SW Shield. For me at this point in my life, external safeties are a must because I have small children. I keep everything locked up and go over gun safety with them but an external safety gives my one more level of protection if they did somehow get ahold of one of my guns. I was shooting pretty well with the Glock though.

i also thought about the glocks not having external safetys cause i have a 3 yr old daughter. but honestly lets say you have a glock laying in your night stand loaded with a full clip and their IS NOT a round in the chamber, if your kid got ahold of it lets say 12 and under. do you really think they would be able to rack the slide on a glock? my fiance barely can rack it with all her strength. by the time my daughter is strong enough to rack the slide she will know how to shoot the gun and know not to touch it without my permission.. thats just my thoughts. but everyone has their own opinions.

There are plenty of different ways to be safe. My preference just happens to be a round in the chamber and the safety on. I hope I can click off a safety quicker than I can rack a slide but then again fine motor skills go out the window in a high stress situation.
    darbo likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gallardo.g23 View Post
    i also thought about the glocks not having external safetys cause i have a 3 yr old daughter. but honestly lets say you have a glock laying in your night stand loaded with a full clip and their IS NOT a round in the chamber, if your kid got ahold of it lets say 12 and under. do you really think they would be able to rack the slide on a glock? my fiance barely can rack it with all her strength. by the time my daughter is strong enough to rack the slide she will know how to shoot the gun and know not to touch it without my permission.. thats just my thoughts. but everyone has their own opinions.
    I feel the same way about most semi automatics. I have a Glock 20 and an older Ruger P85 and I do not know if I would go up to 12 or not but definitely 10 and under would not be able to rack that slide. A really strong 11 or 12 year might be able to do it. I had my wife try the Ruger once and I would definitely not feel comfortable with her having to do that in an emergency situation. Like you said at that age they are old enough to be told to leave it alone. The rule at our house is that the kids do not go in our bedroom unless we are in there or with our permission.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    As far as the malfunctions go it could possibly be lack of maintenance. Who knows who cleans those things and how good of a job they do.

Ruptured case on a reloaded ammo is one of two things. A double charge or a charge that exceeds specs, or overused and overstressed brass. Either case, this a bad ammo/bad reloading. Glock's don't drop their mags, or have ruptured cases. I know for awhile Glock's in the 40 cal were reported to have KB's due to the unsupported case, but that was (in my opinion) nothing more than a bad rap, and people making bad reloads.

If I were the range instructor, and I honestly felt this was bad reloaded ammo, the ammo would have been removed from the range for liability reasons. Most classes I have seen state only manufactured ammo is allowed to shoot during the course.

I do question why it was just you that had the problem, however I doubt it was hand placement, but you can easily check that. Remove the magazine, and rack the slide to make sure it is unloaded (and do that again to double check). While following the other safety rules grip the Glock like your firing it, and dry fire it. Does your thumb or any part of the hand actually touch the mag release? You have to press pretty hard to get the mag drop, and it will be uncomfortable for you to to shoot since it will rub or dig into your hand before it drops.

I will take that Glock off your hands for you without second thoughts. I will pay FFL costs and shipping and you won't ever have to worry about it again!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    The rule at our house is that the kids do not go in our bedroom unless we are in there or with our permission.
    That was the rule in our house too. How the heck did I find my dad's Playboys?
    MJB_17 and dukalmighty like this.

Distinguished Member
    To answer the OP, I have a Gen 3 G17 and I have never had any of those issues. Don't judge all Glocks by the failure of a single, high-use unit utilizing what sounds like questionable ammo.

I will also weigh in on the child issue. I have a 6 year old at home and I have taught him all of the rules about gun safety. Still, he is a 6 year old boy and as such, he is prone to making mistakes. Consequenly, I keep my G17 in a small safe on the nightstand at night. Before I go to bed, I keep it in the bigger safe and my Kahr PM9 on my person. I do not think he could rack the slide if he tried, but why take any chances with your kids?
    DMan likes this.

From the CZ forum, a similar episode from bad ammo. He was lucky he was not severely injured. The link will take you to the thread and post #15 shows the results of the ammo itself.

P07 go boom (not in the good way...)
    BeefyG likes this.

For safe storage with a child - Rule number 1 is treat every gun as if it is loaded. I don't care if there is a round in the chamber or not, of the magazine is in the chamber or not, you treat every gun as if it is loaded. I will never leave a loaded gun accessible to a child. Since I follow rule #1, this means no gun (no exceptions) is ever accessible to a child, ever. Besides gun safety, in many states there are legal ramifications for unsecured guns, the liability is just to great.
    RickyD likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links