Defensive Ammo In SW Bodyguard

This is a discussion on Defensive Ammo In SW Bodyguard within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have suggestions for defensive ammo for the SW Bodyguard? What does it like to eat and what gives it "indigestion"? Sent from my iPhone ...

Thread: Defensive Ammo In SW Bodyguard

Defensive Ammo In SW Bodyguard

Anyone have suggestions for defensive ammo for the SW Bodyguard? What does it like to eat and what gives it "indigestion"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

In .380, I use FMJ, preferably with a flat point.

I want something that will get to the FBI desired penetration depth of 15", and in .380 that means FMJ.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Like 10thmtn suggest FMJ's. When I had my S&W BG380 I used the Winchester White box FMJ 380 that I got from Walmart. And since it is a 380, practice, practice, practice for shot placement and your BG380 will serve you well !!! God Bless

So no JHP? FMJ is the way to go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use Hornady Critical Defense in my Ruger LCP. Penetration is decent and haven't had any fail to expand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

I use Cor Bon DPX in mine. I've run a few boxes through at the range with no problems.

I'll admit up front that I'm not a ballistics expert nor a doctor treating gunshot wounds, so take this for what it's worth. But as the .380 isn't all that powerful to start with I'd be loading a more modern HP load. It seems at first blush that if your gun likes to feed them okay it would be hard to beat the Buffalo Bore 80 gr. Barnes TAC-XP load. The bullet is a superb one and holds together well since it's all jacket. That's a pretty stout loading, but kind of expensive. The Cor Bon DPX uses the same bullet and is also spendy but a great round. It wouldn't be super cheap to put a couple boxes thru your gun to test functioning, but if I had to stake my life on a .380 I'd consider it worth the expense.

That said, I can see the point to be made for penetration, too. But you'd better be pretty careful with shot placement if you don't get any expansion (obviously true with any round).
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

What Phaedrus said above...

I have two .380 guns, a Walther PPK and a Sig P238, and recently did some research on the best .380 defensive load for these guns. I came out the same place as Phaedrus above, that the Barnes copper bullet loaded by Buffalo Bore is the most effective load. There is quite a bit of test data on the Internet regarding this load, and the penetration plus expansion of this bullet is most impressive. I concluded that this load will essentially turn your .380 into a 9mm, in terms of effect on the target.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Great. Thanks for all your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the Winchester Ranger Type T for the BG .380. This is loaded by Winchester for LE, but if you look hard enough, you can find them. This uses the new Talon bullet that weighs 95 gr and has reasonable numbers. I carry this as a back up or "get off me" gun, so this round performs just right.

Noticing some other posts, I'd be real cautious (as in "I wouldn't") about using really hot loads in any pocket .380---some companies expressly tell you NOT to use these loads in their user manuals. These small guns simply are not made to deal with those pressures. Hotter loads may be fine in a larger frame .380 like a PPK or Sig.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

After internet You Tube research I use the Speer gold dot and Hornady critical defense JHP. They seemed to be the most reliable and run through my BG380's just fine.

Links