Beretta PX4. My first plastic/black carry gun. Love it.

This is a discussion on Beretta PX4. My first plastic/black carry gun. Love it. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm old fashioned. I like my 1911s, my Winchester lever-actions, my pump-action shotguns and nothing beats a wheelgun on most days. I'm also ex-military and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Beretta PX4. My first plastic/black carry gun. Love it.

Thumbs up Beretta PX4. My first plastic/black carry gun. Love it.

I'm old fashioned. I like my 1911s, my Winchester lever-actions, my pump-action shotguns and nothing beats a wheelgun on most days.

I'm also ex-military and ex-law enforcement. I was LE at the time of the great "change over" from revolvers to 9mm semi-autos. At the time, I was in the Southern District of Florida where the druggies were better armed than most European armies. So 9mm became my choice.

Some folks will say the 9mm has no stopping or killing power. I wish someone would've told that to me and my buddies all those years we carried MP5s. Likewise, I never heard any SEAL buddies of mine complain that the 9mm didn't get the job done for them.

But, we were all trained in fire discipline (no spraying and praying) and shot placement (two to the chest, one to the head always leaves your target nice, quiet and dead). With those caveats, we probably could've got away with carrying suppressed Beretta .22LRs.

So in 1987, I purchased a Beretta 92 and immediately fell in love. It not only fit my hand, but was like an extension of my hand and was the most natural "point-shooting" handgun I'd ever owned, beating out my beloved K-frame Smiths.

After I got married, finished graduate school and said good-bye to Uncle Sam's wacky version of law enforcement, me and the 92 stayed close companions everywhere and when George W Bush defeated Ma "I'm uglier than day-old roadkill" Richards for the presidency of Texas, he signed our CHL laws into place. I qualified with a perfect score with that 92 and had tens of thousands of rounds through it.

A month ago, I'm in the hospital (rogue appendix that ruptured) and had my laptop and was doing some firearms research for my second upcoming novel, FALSE GODS, and I found a review of the Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm. I've never been a plastic gun fan. Nothing against them, but had never found one that "fit me" and felt like that integral extension of my arm and hand.

The review intrigued me and a few days after leaving the hospital, I became the happy owner of a Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm. A week later, I acquired a Blackhawk paddle holster (I rarely wear a belt so I rely on either IWB or paddle holsters) with THE slickest retention/release system I've ever seen. What's more, the Blackhawk is a plastic holster (excuse me, carbon fiber composite. . . I'm old-fashioned enough that if it isn't leather, then it must be nylon or plastic) and it and the Beretta mated up perfectly.

Numerous trips to the range with the PX4 have me grinning wider and wider each time. This is such a natural point-shooting gun, lighter than the 92, better magazine capacity and the ergonomics of it surpass even those of the 92. Accuracy, for a 9mm, is incredibly consistent with jacketed rounds easily out to 25 yards. Magazine changes are easy and smooth, manual slide action is likewise easy and smooth. This firearm also has the undisputed best and smoothest double-action trigger pull of any semi-auto I've ever fired, carried, been issued or asked to critique.

I've carried a gun on or about me since 1979 and to date, this Beretta Storm matches up with me on a day-to-day carry basis better than any firearm I own or that I have owned or been issued. I'm retiring the 92 to light duty. She's served me well over the past two and a half decades and saved my life more than once. No safe queen status for her as the wife and (grown) daughter like shooting the 92 a lot.

But for any 9mm fans out there looking or pondering a new/different daily carry gun, I heartily endorse the Beretta PX4. For fans of the 40S&W and 45 ACP, I've fired the PX4 in those calibers and all of the above apply as well. This is simply an exquisitely well-designed firearm that is a joy to carry and shoot.

JD
    Phaedrus, wmhawth, darbo and 3 others like this.
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

2. Remove Ads

I've never fired the PX4 but you've got me interested! Right now though I'm pretty much in love with my Beretta Nano. First Beretta I've ever owned, which is odd considering how long I've been shooting. I doubt it will be my last.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKinman View Post
    Numerous trips to the range with the PX4 have me grinning wider and wider each time. This is such a natural point-shooting gun, lighter than the 92, better magazine capacity and the ergonomics of it surpass even those of the 92.
    JD
    + me. I've had a 92 for over 15 years and I like it. I bought a full size PX4 Storm, 9mm a little over a year ago and I fully agree with JDKinman's critique.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    My dept. issued sidearm is a Beretta PX4 in 40 S&W. Shoots very well and has been reliable.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I have a PX4 Compact. Soft shooter, accurate, reliable. My PX4C is in my EDC rotation and I never feel at a loss with it. It conceals well, fits great in my hand and has never had a FTE, or FTF. I would encourage anyone looking for a compact carry pistol to consider one of the PX4 Compacts.
    johnbergsing likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

At 58 years of age I'm only 2 years into being a gun owner. When I went looking for my first pistol I ended up with the PX4 9mm. I love this pistol. I have several thousand rounds through it in range and competition use with zero malfunctions. These eyes behold one of the best looking pistols out there too!
    wmhawth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I have a PX4 Compact. Soft shooter, accurate, reliable. My PX4C is in my EDC rotation and I never feel at a loss with it. It conceals well, fits great in my hand and has never had a FTE, or FTF. I would encourage anyone looking for a compact carry pistol to consider one of the PX4 Compacts.
    +1 for me. The Px4c is my EDC as well for all the same reasons!
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

It is extremely hard to beat the rotating barrel on the full-size or compact PX4. As I've said in a few recent threads: this gun is highly underrated by most " experts."
    johnbergsing likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I've got two of them, a full size 9mm and a 45ACP. They are great guns, but I'm still getting used to the trigger and point of aim. IMO, they seem to shoot lower than the Glocks I'm used to shooting.

My wife has one in .40S&W. I've shot it, and it is a great gun, in my opinion. I still prefer my 1911, but I'd give her PX4 a thumbs up any day!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Added thoughts:

The only connection to the thread is that this involves the use of my PX4.
    At the local club they run a kind of outlaw 3-gun match. I can actually shoot the entire match with just a pistol. It usually ends up being a 225+ round count to do with a pistol. I have a couple of the 20 round factory Beretta magazines and it just simply is a ton of fun to run, as much as this old fat guy runs, through the Course of Fire with the PX4 and the 20 round mags! yeehaw!
    Phaedrus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
    I've got two of them, a full size 9mm and a 45ACP. They are great guns, but I'm still getting used to the trigger and point of aim. IMO, they seem to shoot lower than the Glocks I'm used to shooting.
    It took me a while to realize I needed to put the front site on the target instead of just under it.
    kal0 likes this.
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Sounds like you have found the right gun for you. I have not personally tried one but I may see if I can find a renter at the range and give it a whirl.

I wouldn't mind finding one in 45 in the "C" configuration. Could be a fun gun.

My oldest son carried the 92 as a Coast Guard Boarding Officer. He is a big Beretta fan. I bought him the PX4 as an early part of his inheritance. He loves the PX4 (40cal).
    darbo likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links