M&P Question

This is a discussion on M&P Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have a M&P 40c and love it to death, about 1,000 rounds through it noooooo problems; although I would like to shoot it ...

Thread: M&P Question

M&P Question

So I have a M&P 40c and love it to death, about 1,000 rounds through it noooooo problems; although I would like to shoot it in 9 and see if follow up shots are more accurate. I am going to buy a full size M&P and was thinking I would get that in 40 cal too. From what I understand I can get a conversion barrel and magazines and convert to 357 or 9 mil. I was wondering can I get the m&p 9 and convert it the other way? Also, how do you guys carry the full size. I like my 40c in king tuk or a desantis scabbard (if I am carrying otw). Any feedback and advice is welcome. (PS waiting on a shield also, what can I say im addicted to M&Ps)

2. Remove Ads

I have a 9mm barrel for my M&P 40, as you know the .40 and .357 mags are the same so to convert to .357 you would just need a .357 barrel. For 9mm, you should get 9mm mags (good luck with that these days), I tried using the .40 mags with 9mm once just out of curiosity and it worked about 2/3 of the time. There are several third party makers of conversion barrels out there but they are a waste of money. I bought the factory original 9mm off Midway for like $70 and it works perfectly fine, no reason to spend $130 or so for a third party one.

I bought the full size M&P 40,about 5 or 6 yrs ago.It jammed back to back one time.It was the spring in one of the mags.After that,so far,so good.

Ive got the 9c and after its break in time its a great little gun. Follow up shots are pretty good as its one of the lightest recoiling 9mms I have shot in a while. I also carry in a king-tuk holster and the 9c conceals really well.

I was wondering can I get the m&p 9 and convert it the other way?

I've been told no. You should only convert down. So buy the .40 pistol and the 9mm barrel.
    And depending on who you talk to they say the stock 9mm barrel will work. But the more expensive ones
    are machined to work more safely. However, I have not yet purchased one myself. YMMV.

I have the M&P40c and the M&P FS 9mm. Love them both. And like you hope to some day buy a Shield.
    I Carry both in a Minotaur IWB holster.

Quote Originally Posted by DwFall View Post
    I was wondering can I get the m&p 9 and convert it the other way?

I've been told no. You should only convert down. So buy the .40 pistol and the 9mm barrel.
    And depending on who you talk to they say the stock 9mm barrel will work. But the more expensive ones
    are machined to work more safely. However, I have not yet purchased one myself. YMMV.

I have the M&P40c and the M&P FS 9mm. Love them both. And like you hope to some day buy a Shield.
    I Carry both in a Minotaur IWB holster.
    That's correct, you can go down but not up. I tried once to see if the .40 barrel will fit in my 9c, it won't. The slide wouldn't lock into battery because the .40 barrel is physically larger than the 9mm. In hindsight, I kind of wish I had gotten the .40c but I had a hard time finding a compact at all and went for the 9c.

Lead Moderator
    I own a 40 full size and have shot a buddies 9 c . Both seem to be excellent pistols. I carry my full size in a Old Faithful holster and it seems to work fairly well. A full size is much more weight and size to carry, so spreading the weight out helps. Comparing it to a HK USP , they are really close in size and weight.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

This is something that I have struggled with for quite some time and have gone back and forth with. I have a 9mm Shield. I was a bit better shot with a full size 9 than a full size 40, so that is what I got. Now that I have a lot of practice, I can now shoot 40 and 9 about the same.

So, I am now thinking that I am going to buy a 40 Shield and get a 9mm barrel for it. I might sell the 9mm Shield (only after I buy the 40) or I might hang on to it. I have not decided yet.

I went with the Shield because it shoots like a full size but because of it's slim single stack design, it hides like a ghost.

40 is probably my least favorite caliber but I can certainly shoot it without a problem in a full size gun. I also really like 357sig, but since I like 9mm best, all my pistols are 9mm. I have an M&P that is a 9FS, but I have been hankering for one of the new CORE models that I use to easily try out a red dot on a pistol. With the shortage of 9mm ammo these days, I have been thinking that instead of reflexively choosing the CORE in 9, I might be better off going with the 40 and getting barrels in 9mm and 357sig so I have more latitude in times of ammo shortages

Links