Found true love, and it is a 1911

This is a discussion on Found true love, and it is a 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had a Custom II Kimber for quite awhile, but never really messed around with it all that much. Spent the last year or so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Found true love, and it is a 1911

Found true love, and it is a 1911

I've had a Custom II Kimber for quite awhile, but never really messed around with it all that much. Spent the last year or so with Glocks, SIGs, and M&Ps. So, today I took it out and ran through some sets, rather than stand and shoot for groups.

My, what I've been missing.

Either I had an exceptional day, or that gun was made to shoot. It wasn't so much that all rounds landed where they should, it was how close they were. I had set up three targets and ran failure drills, three mags with three rounds each. Reload between targets. Then reload mags and repeat. I swear, each run hit where the previous run hit. Unreal.

I've always had respect for a 1911, but just hadn't put mine through the paces. I guess I just took a big swing in a different direction. In fact, I'll have to offload a new Glock 22 to snag a Colt Commander that I got a line on. If this Colt runs like the Kimber, and I'm sure it will, it'll find itself in a Versa Max on my belt.

I see a lot of hot 45 brass in my future.

2. Remove Ads

Nice to hear you came back to the "girl next door"!
    SmokinFool and bmcgilvray like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    1911s shoot great and that Colt will be a dream to shoot. But ask yourself;
    1). Do I want to carry something this expensive ( compared to the Glock)
    2). Will I carry it with one in the pipe and hammer back safety on
    3). Do you care if it gets holser rashed
    No way you can keep your G-22 and get the Colt? To have both would be the best of both worlds.
    I love the 1911 and have several but I don't carry them often, thats for the Rugers, and Glocks. The 1911s are for the range and matches
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I found out the same thing last year when I posted the thread of the Glock vs my Colt comparison running drills and shooting lots of ammo side by side. The 1911 is a true gunfighter, no other way to put it.

Carry it. Metal can be reblued if it wears. All plastic can do is melt.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    1911s shoot great and that Colt will be a dream to shoot. But ask yourself;
    1). Do I want to carry something this expensive ( compared to the Glock)
    2). Will I carry it with one in the pipe and hammer back safety on
    3). Do you care if it gets holser rashed
    No way you can keep your G-22 and get the Colt? To have both would be the best of both worlds.
    I love the 1911 and have several but I don't carry them often, thats for the Rugers, and Glocks. The 1911s are for the range and matches
    1. I'm used to paying for SIGs.
    2. Hell yes it'll be cocked and locked. While I haven't shot it that much, I have carried it.
    3. The Kimber is (and the Colt will be) stainless. I fear no rash.

I will keep my 19 and 31.....
    OD* and glockman10mm like this.

I thoroughly enjoy both of my kimbers, and carry them regularly. I wouldn't mind adding a colt to the stable as well. As for the stainless, I haven't seen hardly any wear on either of mine. Of course, .45 is also one of the few calibers you can find ammo for these days. I call that a win.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I hope for a very large pile of hot .45 brass for you. It's great to read of you revisiting the grand old pistol and of the results you obtained.

Have you ever put up a photo of your Kimber?

I love the revolvers but the 1911 is one of the few automatics that I'm willing to own and carry for serious social purposes. There are some popular modern pistols that I'm personally unwilling to own.

To paraphrase a popular saying around firearms forums: "I'm willing to show the 1911 to my enemies. ____ will be shown the door."
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    If I had to grab one gun as I headed out the door it'd be a 1911 or a Model 19. Guess it'd depend on which box of ammo I got my hands on first. There's a good reason it's still here after more than 100 years. My safe could hold a bit of everything (if i still had it) but as I think on it, more in that model and caliber than anything else. But there was that fateful trip across the Core Sound and all were lost.

Look away, I have to leave the room now.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

My son recently obtained a Kimber Crimson Carry II and a Glock 36. We went to the range yesterday and he let me shoot both guns. I really liked the Kimber and was not real impressed with the Glock, way to much recoil for me. The Kimber on the other hand was a real sweet shooter, I put 4 holes just a tad high of center that could be covered with a quarter. Not too bad for this old guy. Guess I gotta find me a Kimber...

I'm the same. I have a Colt 1911 and is beautiful and a pleasure to shoot. Its been in the safe now as I use my Glock's way more. The other day I took the 1911 out to just admire it and wow, theres just something about holding it that brings it back to my heart.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Ya got to love the 1911's they are awesome.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    The 1911 is my favorite pistol of all time. Of all the EDC's that I have carried none of them have given me the peace of mind that the 1911 does!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    I'm the same. I have a Colt 1911 and is beautiful and a pleasure to shoot. Its been in the safe now as I use my Glock's way more. The other day I took the 1911 out to just admire it and wow, theres just something about holding it that brings it back to my heart.
    On your hip is closer to your heart than in your safe.
    glockman10mm likes this.

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!!

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!!

Okay, so in the absence of the OP's, here's one of mine - LOL
    pittypat21 likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links