BUG advice

This is a discussion on BUG advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about my BUG choice, and have almost decided on a XDs.45. I'd prefer to go with a .40, but so far, I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Yoda

Thread: BUG advice

BUG advice

I've been thinking about my BUG choice, and have almost decided on a XDs.45. I'd prefer to go with a .40, but so far, I can't find any information that they are actually for sale, if they're even made (a couple claims, but can't find anything solid).

What do you all look for in a BUG? I gotta think smaller size and a more limited capacity is pretty common, which is why I like the idea of going to the .45, rather than down to say, a .38. Do you try to stay within the same caliber?

Also, what other single-stack semi-autos would you recommend? My one rule is passive or no safeties. When I was younger I learned to shoot with a revolver, then when I got back into shooting, I went straight to the XD's and Glocks, so sliding a safety on and off is very much outside my muscle-memory and not something I want to worry about.

One last question - how do you carry it? (I know there's another thread out there about this part, but I'm interested to know specifically for the BUG you own.

2. Remove Ads

Whats your main carry gun?

XD-s is my main carry gun. MPA 380 Protector II is my BUG. I usually carry my BUG in my back pocket in a wallet holster.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Kahr makes very small .40's. No reason to keep the same caliber unless you run a Glock style system with interchangeable mags. For a subcompact single stack BUG, I'd consider 9mm simply for recoil management. I carry a PPS .40. It is manageable, but I wouldn't go smaller in that caliber.

My BUG is a SW 442 loaded with .38 +P.

my choices for a bug would be ..kahr p380, Xds in 9 or .45, a snub nose .38 ( jframe), ruger lcp, or maybe one of the kel-tecs in .380. In no particular order really..

Kahr CM40 would be a good choice. Easy to pocket carry.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

The Kahr CM40 is a fantastic gun. Light, super accurate and easily to carry discreetly
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Bug advice, use repellent with DEET.
    Glock2201 and Secret Spuk like this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I carry a jframe revolver as my bug. If 25 rds of .45 arent enough, another 5 of .38+p probably wont be either. The j frame was bought with a BUG in mind. It is the easiest gun to carry concealed and be an effective caliber I have found. I do however have limited experience.

Good luck! Having two different calibers does not bother me, but I get your concern.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Thanks. I shot the XDs today. Enjoyed it. Put five round within an inch of each other at 10 yards so I figure that's pretty good. It was a little snappy though, but I could shoot it about the same as my .40. What I really liked is the fact that it felt like the exact same trigger. First I pointed it down range, I pulled the trigger right to the break like I knew exactly where it was, and let it return just to the break. So that definitely is a plus for the XD-s.

I shot the XDSC9 as well. After shooting the .40 in the same thing (my edc), it had very little kick and I could get back on target like nothing else. Shot my wife's Kahr cw9. Honestly, I can get my .40 on target just as fast, so that's out.

Then, I handled a couple .380s. Didn't shoot them though. So I'm really not sure what I'm going to do, except that I think any Single stack 9mm is out. I just can't see using a 9mm when I can get a .40 or .45 on target in pretty much the same time frame. I think I may have to wait until the XDs .40 comes out and give that a try.

Anyway, keep on coming with the advice. This is going to be a long term decision, I think.

Never needed to shoot my primary in 62 years so I do not carry a BUG. Makes sense for those whose jobs require a gun but for civilians the odds of using a gun or even knowing a family member or friend who does, are extremely small despite what we read. The odds of needing two guns are even smaller. I tend to prepare for the possible that is likely and not the unlikely simply because it is possible. If you think along the lines of preparing for very small odds situations, then why stop at two guns? How about 3 or 4. I know two guys who carry 3 guns and a fixed blade knife. However neither ever put themselves in harms way by joining the military or becoming a LEO. Makes me wonder at times why they like the trappings of a warrior but not the danger. To each their own though.

I am not against carrying a BUG and do so myself on rare occasions. However, the guns mentioned in these posts are my primaries and after 62 years of never firing one as a civilian I think they are just fine being only children most of the time. I own the XDs and it would make a great BUG. I carry it in my pocket daily. If need be I use the 7 round mag and get 8 shots, same as my 1911's, in a compact package. I also carry an LCR and sometimes a .22 mag version as a BUG. My most used BUG is an NAA mini revolver. I guess as you go through life and realize that you do not know anyone who has needed to fire a gun, including yourself, you decide that comfort trumps being heavily armed. The two civilian encounters I had ended with the mere showing of my snub nose on each occasion. This jives with all the studies done on civilian encounters that say in over 90% of cases, no shots are fired. Sure I can envision when two guns would be useful but then again I can envision when 3 would not be enough. Got to draw the line somewhere and I have no problem with anyone carrying as many guns as they want to. Just do not think it necessary for most of us.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    Never needed to shoot my primary in 62 years so I do not carry a BUG. Makes sense for those whose jobs require a gun but for civilians the odds of using a gun or even knowing a family member or friend who does, are extremely small despite what we read. The odds of needing two guns are even smaller. I tend to prepare for the possible that is likely and not the unlikely simply because it is possible. If you think along the lines of preparing for very small odds situations, then why stop at two guns? How about 3 or 4. I know two guys who carry 3 guns and a fixed blade knife. However neither ever put themselves in harms way by joining the military or becoming a LEO. Makes me wonder at times why they like the trappings of a warrior but not the danger. To each their own though.

I am not against carrying a BUG and do so myself on rare occasions. However, the guns mentioned in these posts are my primaries and after 62 years of never firing one as a civilian I think they are just fine being only children most of the time. I own the XDs and it would make a great BUG. I carry it in my pocket daily. If need be I use the 7 round mag and get 8 shots, same as my 1911's, in a compact package. I also carry an LCR and sometimes a .22 mag version as a BUG. My most used BUG is an NAA mini revolver. I guess as you go through life and realize that you do not know anyone who has needed to fire a gun, including yourself, you decide that comfort trumps being heavily armed. The two civilian encounters I had ended with the mere showing of my snub nose on each occasion. This jives with all the studies done on civilian encounters that say in over 90% of cases, no shots are fired. Sure I can envision when two guns would be useful but then again I can envision when 3 would not be enough. Got to draw the line somewhere and I have no problem with anyone carrying as many guns as they want to. Just do not think it necessary for most of us.
    Your right that there's always "just one more" that could make it better. However, there's also a tipping point (point of diminishing returns). For instance, in a completely different environment. I have three moniters that I use for my computer. I had four, but one of them burnt out. I have found however, that four hits that point of diminishing returns, where it's just not worth the headache of setting up, trying to get it situated, etc., for the good it does. My guess is, at least for me, that point when it comes to guns, is two. I've carried both my G23 and XDSC40 a few times. I've carried both of those and my Raven .25 a couple times, and I've carried one of those and my Raven .25. In all honestly, I felt like I was just on this side of reaching that point of diminishing returns, when I carried a primary (plus extra mag) and my Raven.

So, I think having two guns, one of which is smaller and more easily carried, is the point where I am happy with how I am protecting myself and my wife. Least, those are my thoughts now. I reserve the right to change them at least twice a day, or whenever my wife tells me what to think.

Links