Defensive Carry banner

Negligent Discharges--how do they happen?

6K views 62 replies 51 participants last post by  ANGLICO 
#1 ·
I'm curious as to how these negligent discharges actually happen. The descriptions are always so vague ("it just went off"). Is it a forgotten round in the chamber? Do some guns fire when dropped, or the hammer is caught by a wandering thumb or piece of clothing? If it's happened to you or someone that's told you "the real story", please fill us in on how this happens so that we all can learn from these experiences and not let it happen to us.

#61 ·
I did the single action-to-double action ND quite a few years ago while practicing my transitions with a pistol that has no de-cocking lever. I was lowering the hammer with my thumb (I can do this, I'll just be real careful; HAH!) when it slipped of course. Thankfully the round went safely downrange and I suffered nothing more than acute embarrassment and a stiff thumb for a few days. I've learned not to do that. Now, if I want to practice my double taps with that gun, I load only two rounds per magazine. This way I can also segue into my reloading drills.

P.S. One of my pet peeves is folks who think that racking the slide guarantees a clear chamber.

#62 ·
Another thought; this time about where to index your trigger finger. I think it was Mas Ayoob who pointed out that a straight out finger is fine until your startle reflex kicks in causing you to automatically curl you fingers. Some people advocate keeping the trigger finger high up on the slide to avoid this and it does seem to work once you get used to it. IIRC, Masad advocated curling the finger and resting it on the frame just above the finger guard. It is no problem going to the trigger when you want to fire but when startled, or sympathetically clutching with the other hand, the finger will pull straight back, missing the trigger completely.

Reactions: marcclarke
#63 ·
Had a young LCpl take himself out with a M2 (not his decision = he was just being a good Marine and cleaning the weapon). It was not nice, and it was not pretty. Nothing left in his chest cavity...................

His Section Chief, on the 'ride' left a chambered .50 in it and the young man was mearly just unscrewing the barrel (from in front of the MG/barrel = bad mistake = for you people who have never played with a M2 = this is a 'No, No'). I will not discuss the results of the investigation here (for obvious reasons).

Who was Negligent? Why was it Negligent? After you cry for some time, you realize that both inviduals violated the basic rules that we should all know and uphold.

Unless the weapon malfunctions (breaks) outside of its intended design limitations, anything else is almost always caused by human error, or operator error. Just my humble opinion based on years of observation.

And when calling for MK-82, always confirm 'Offset Aimpoint Selected'.............. Some of you will get that. For the rest of you = dropping bombs on yourself is not very smart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.