Would you trade?

This is a discussion on Would you trade? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of my clients was in this morning and said he had been looking for a S&W 642. Well I just happen to have one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Would you trade?

Would you trade?

One of my clients was in this morning and said he had been looking for a S&W 642.

Well I just happen to have one that we really don't shoot anymore, so off hand, I yell to my wife that he wanted to buy her 642. Well he really wants to trade it for a Norinco folding stock SKS and 200 rds of ammo.

That seems a bit light though.

The wife's comment was "you got an M-1 carbine, and its a done deal".

I am pretty sure that the 642 will remain in the safe. He really liked the CT laser, and his wife liked it as well, but since I already have one SKS and don't really shoot it, I can't see that the folding stock model would be used any more.

So, would you do the trade, or would he have to sweeten the pot?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

In todays market maybe. I love my SKS and while I am sure you could sell it, if it just sits in the safe and the 642 gets use maybe not. Seems as things go the SKS may be one of those weapons that becomes REALLY valuable one dayif these fools in office get their way.

See how I didn't really answer the question? I should run for office! Trade it if you dont use the 642. If you or your Mrs carry it, keep it.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Trade away a S&W 642 for a SKS that I already had? No, I wouldn't.

Now, if he had a decent M1 Carbine that he'd be willing to trade, sure. Though, you'd probably need to sweeten the pot a bit, there.

But then, it comes down to your preferences, not mine. So long as you're getting what you'd prefer and are aware of the relative values ... no harm, no foul.

Enjoy whatever it is you get out of the deal.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I agree, I wouldn't mind sweetening the pot on a decent M1 carbine, but he doesn't have that to trade.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Let see, A 642 sell for 350 to 360 at our LGS. Depending on the sks model it might be a far trade if you need or want a solid defence rifle.

I'd evaluate the market for SKS's right now, see how well they are selling and for how much. If you can make a profit on the trade by flipping the SKS immediately after - why not go for it.

On the other hand, the SKS might not resell, and you can -never- go wrong with a good S&W revolver. I'll give up a fair number of things before I get rid of my S&W 629 or 460.

I like the way your wife thinks!

I say keep the 642, especially since you already have an SKS. A folding stock on carbine makes sense, but on a full-size gun like that it's just goofy, IMO.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    I have to concur with everyone else, keep the 642.

Until you find an M1 Carbine
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Gotta go with the wife on this one. You trade and she will never ever ever let you forget it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you have an sks and dont use it, what is the point of a second gun you wont use? even if you dont use the S&W, its a hell of a lot prettier to look at than the sks.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Which is the most useful weapon to you?
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

The 642 is one of my favorite cc for fast trips to the store just throw it in my pocket great gun especially if its pre lock

VIP Member
    As far as monetary value, the SKS might hold a slight edge over the 642.

You may be able to off the SKS for something more valuable to someone who is really looking for one right now.

Or if you are in no mood to horse trade at the moment, keep the S&W.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I like the way your wife thinks!

I say keep the 642, especially since you already have an SKS. A folding stock on carbine makes sense, but on a full-size gun like that it's just goofy, IMO.
    Goofy is as goofy does.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Some M1 carbines are junk like the universal brand. Be careful ...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links