Ruger LCP vs. Sig P238 - Concealability difference?

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP vs. Sig P238 - Concealability difference? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone carried BOTH of these guns? I know they have many differences, but at this point I'm most curious if the LCP is actually ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP vs. Sig P238 - Concealability difference?

Ruger LCP vs. Sig P238 - Concealability difference?

Has anyone carried BOTH of these guns? I know they have many differences, but at this point I'm most curious if the LCP is actually easier to conceal than the P238? They are very close in size, but the Sig is a little thicker and heavier. I also know the LCP is thinner, but anyone have any experience with both the P238 and LCP that can comment?

I usually carry IWB at about 4:00, but might try pocket carry on hot summer days with a smaller gun like the P238 or LCP.

2. Remove Ads

IWB shouldn't matter for either one. But for pocket , LCP is the way to go.
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

The LCP is slightly smaller and vanishes in an IWB but also a lot harder to gain your grip and slower to draw, cheesier operation, less accurate. The LCP a lot cheaper too but I chose the P238 and never regretted it. It's remarkably concealable but at least 3X better a gun. The weight, size of a P238 is not even a mild concern for me. The price is high but not an issue 6 months later, and it's way more reliable. YMMV. I now carry the Sig P938 and recommend P238 buyers try to consider it instead. The deal sealer for the P238 is how it fits my wife's hand better than anything else on the market, it's her every day carry at the moment. I also owned the S&W bodyguard 380 but sold both of the two I owned, I am very cautious now about buying any new models from S&W. The Smith Jframe with the stock grips are superior in many ways for pocket carry, not enough people consider them.

buy both, try them out, and send me the one you dont like
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Owned more than one of both of them. The Sig is a nicer gun that is easier to shoot with less recoil and real sights. The LCP was much easier to drop in the pocket and forget. Sig was a little too heavy for pocket carry for me personally. If I am going to carry on or in the belt there are larger guns with more capacity I can use instead of a lightweight .380.

I agree with the previous poster. I carry a Smith and Wesson 642 for my pocket gun now. My next choice would be the Ruger LCP, or one of the Kel-Tecs.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Distinguished Member
    The LCP is certainly lighter and easier to conceal, but I prefer to shoot my carry guns on a regular basis.
    I hated shooting the LCP... very snappy recoil and not at all pleasant to shoot. After shooting a mag or two at the range I simply had enough of it.
    The P238 on the other hand, while a bit larger and heavier, still carries and conceals quite well. I normally carry IWB in a Remora holster or in pocket with a basic UTG pocket holster.
    It's a pleasure to shoot and an average range day will see no less than 100 rounds, often twice that.

If you want something you'll only shoot a few times and that is not really built to last a long time, save the money and buy the LCP.
    If you want something you can shoot often and that is built to last a lifetime, pay the extra money and buy the Sig.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    The LCP is certainly lighter and easier to conceal, but I prefer to shoot my carry guns on a regular basis.
    I hated shooting the LCP... very snappy recoil and not at all pleasant to shoot. After shooting a mag or two at the range I simply had enough of it.
    I had the same impressions, however I got some bright sights paint to give it better sights. I also got the Hogue grip that was made specifically for it not just the one that slides on, but the one that is secured to it. The trigger is still not my favorite, but it is much easier to shoot now, and actually enjoyable at times. I have put 500 rounds through mine, no malfunctions, no problems. The whole thing, including the Hogue grip, lasermax, and 7 rounds it weights 12.8 ounces, absolutely no excuse to not carry it all times. Perfect for Pocket carry, it is about the same size and thickness as my wallet.

photo.jpg

I bought a Kel-Tec P3-AT when they first came out. I had multiple issues with it. I bought a LCP when they first came out. I had the same issues with it. The issues were the same as limp-wristing. Other people with smaller hands shot them with fewer issues. My hands are too large to get a solid grip on them. I traded both of them for a Sig P238 HDW that I have carried in a pocket holster and shot for over two years. I have had zero issues with over 1,500 rounds through it. The felt recoil from the Sig is much less than the LCP and the Sig for me is much more accurate.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro View Post
    Has anyone carried BOTH of these guns? I know they have many differences, but at this point I'm most curious if the LCP is actually easier to conceal than the P238? They are very close in size, but the Sig is a little thicker and heavier. I also know the LCP is thinner, but anyone have any experience with both the P238 and LCP that can comment?

I usually carry IWB at about 4:00, but might try pocket carry on hot summer days with a smaller gun like the P238 or LCP.
    My Sig is definitely heavier but as far as concealability it is like asking which is easier to hide in a bread box, a cupcake or a cookie? Both fit well in my pocket and on my belt with room to spare. I sold my LCP because the Sig P238 was much easier to shoot, shoot accurately and had a better trigger. Plus I could shoot +P ammo in it. Everyone I know with an LCP says they prefer the Sig. YMMV

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I have both. My experience pretty much echos that of others that have both.

The LCP is easier to hide, the P238 is much nicer to shoot. I only carry the LCP when I can't hide the P238, which isn't very often. I carry the P238 in a Cross Breed Micro Tuck. I have one for the LCP as well, but seldom use it. LCP and P238 are also carried a lot in DeSantis Nemesis pocket holsters.

The P238 is a much better pistol. If I had to choose which one to defend myself with, it would be the P238. But I can't always hide it.

I've never gone unarmed when I wanted to be armed since I bought the LCP. I regard the LCP as my gun of last resort - it's dependable, well maintained, and always gets it's share of practice at the range.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I have two LCP's and I did have a 238. Nothing conceals more easily than the LCP. I don't mind shooting it, and the long trigger is ideal for CCW. The Sig is definitely prettier and more sophisticated, but mine never worked well. Returned it and got it back, still with problems. So I traded it. My LCP's have always been 100% reliable.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm leaning towards the LCP strictly based on its very light weight and easy pocket carry. I already have a j-frame airweight that I can IWB when I want something smaller than my Glock, but don't need or want to pocket carry.

I only see me carrying the LCP in a pocket holster, where it's super light weight and thin frame will really shine.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member

Distinguished Member
    Had two of each. LCP definitely much lighter and easier to conceal but so is an NAA mini revolver so might as well get that instead since it will be the most comfortable and easiest to conceal. With the new self defense .22 mag loads you are approaching .380 performance and penetration. The Sig is the much better gun due to its sights, trigger and weight and the Sig P938 a much better choice than both but we seem to be talking about a gun you never expect to use to defend your life or else you would not be putting comfort over function. I mostly pocket carry except when I will be sitting down much of the time like at a desk or driving. Try drawing a gun in a hurry while seated to see what I mean. Funny how so many never even try it and after they do switch to IWB carry.

It is telling that if you search the internet you will find a lot of support for the LCP but it will not be from many who have fired a shot in anger. Those of us who have fought with handguns know that it is pure fantasy to say that you will be able to empty a small caliber into a human trying to kill you when your body is shaking from the life and death stress put upon it and your mind is not working the same as it does at the range while shooting at paper targets. Much of what you read on the internet comes from people who never used a gun in a fight much like taking advice about Indy 500 race car driving from people who use their cars to commute to work. :) Any gun is better than no gun but not best for the job at hand. If you do not feel that you will actually have to use the gun at any distance or against more than one bad guy then the LCP is right for you as long as you are aware of the limitations of the gun in real self defense situations and of pocket carry in general. Most of the guys here who start out with the LCP complain that they cannot shoot it well and end up getting a better gun. Some have been in hairy situations and felt that they would rather put up with a little more weight than feel as they did knowing that they only had an LCP. In the end most pick a gun that makes them feel safe and that is good enough reason for many.
    Last edited by Old_Dog; April 7th, 2013 at 05:08 PM.
    Kennydale likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

I own both, I usually carry a 3 inch 1911 but prefer the LCP over the P238. On a pistol that small a 'pocket pistol' if you will I don't want to worry about a safety or a hamer. Cocked and locked is only an option with a hip holster, when I have a firearm on my hip its not going tp be the LCP or the P238. From my perspective the LCP is a better carry gun when a tiny pistol is called for. I will say I put a Hogue handall grip sleeve on my LCP which makes the little Ruger much more comfortable to shoot.

I've never fired a gun in anger, but I see a lot of wisdom in what Old_Dog is saying. The first rule of gun fighting is "have a gun", so check I guess. But I'm envisioning the possible scenarios and situations where I might have to pull the gun in defense, and when I do I don't like how it plays out if I imagine pulling something like the LCP. The trigger is poor, the sights rudimentary, the magazine capacity low and the cartridge marginal. How would you engage more than one attacker? The LCP seems more like a holdout or backup gun to me.

That said, I'm no experienced gunfighter! Better the LCP in your pocket than the Glock 20 in your safe at home. The LCP is indeed small and virtually disappears in a pocket. If you do that route, best you can do is shoot it as much as you can to verify that it's trustworthy, and build up as much muscle memory as you can.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links