XD45 Compact

This is a discussion on XD45 Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Even with a search, nothing turned up! My gosh, has the forum's enthusiasm for the XD died off in my absence!? I have this love/hate ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD45 Compact

XD45 Compact

Even with a search, nothing turned up! My gosh, has the forum's enthusiasm for the XD died off in my absence!?

I have this love/hate relationship with Springfield Armory.

On the one hand they make (read import) the perfect carry gun for my needs at the price I'm willing to pay.

On the other hand, they consistently have said "We're not gonna make that." And then they make it.

And now they've made something that's just a tease to something I actually would like to purchase.

Check this action out.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-compact.shtml

I'm sort of unsure what to think about that, because while I love my XD45ACP Service, I sort of relished the idea of something closer in size to the XD subcompacts.

I don't know how to explain this other than it seems like I jump from:

Being able to conceal only a little bitty gun.

To:

Being able to conceal a proper gun.

With precious little in between. I'm actually a good boy who will bear some discomfort to use a better tool when it comes to this.

But I've been relishing the thought of the .45 subcompact as a viable way to carry what would function as well as the service model but save me a little space on my belt. Part of that means cutting down the barrel at least half an inch, not just the grip.

Just as I like how the .45 ACP XD is slightly more generous in the hand than the 9/40/357 frame without being significantly larger, I was hoping for a gun somewhere between the 3" XD9 subcompact and the service sized XD9, a "3/4" scale gun if you will. If you were to reduce an XD45 service to a subcompact, that's essentially what you would wind up with, at least in my mind.

This kind of disappoints me a little. I wanted a 3" subcompact with a cut down 8 or 10 round magazine, something that was actually noticeably smaller in both dimensions. I understand that takes some development, but come on, the best you can offer is this little piece of Dremel engineering?

Still, I guess some people will like it. Just not me. I guess I get to be happy with what I already have.

I wonder, could it be that they just can't get a 3" nominal barrel size XD to work reliably in .45 ACP? Maybe this is as good as it gets.

I'm also looking at my XD45 magazines. I'm wondering if an XD45 Subcompact wouldn't be the same magazine capacity as the Taurus PT-145, but be a bigger and more expensive gun. That could really hurt Springfield Armory right there. I'd still buy one, but someone who didn't already have XDs probably wouldn't.

But this would be really good for my brothers stuck behind enemy lines. Even with the 10 round magazines, the grip is still about as long as the grip on the XD9/40/357 service frame. If you're stuck to 10 round magazines, I can understand not wanting such a long grip.

Of course, the real answer is they'll probably wait until everyone buys up a mess of these, and then come out with that...

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I think this is a disappointment. I was also hoping for a "sub compact" that was actually smaller. Oh well maybe next year.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Cool

Sorry , but I love the 4" .45s

I may get an XD-C to go with these.........

I would only Carry a 3" If they made nothing Else
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I'm not having any trouble concealing my XD 45 Tactical with nothing more than a tshirt in a Answer holster (oh ya and pants). Once I found out how easy it was to conceal my 45 I sold my Xd subcompact 9mm. I had 8000+ rounds through that sub9 with no problems.

Lead Moderator
    A SC .45 would be a nice gun. I considered buying a used .40 4" and cutting the grip down, but the controls were wrong for me (LH)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Having just bought a XD45 service, I was a little disappointed to see this new option come out the next week...BUT I have no intention of carrying only ten rounds...I bought it for the hi-cap option, and could carry 9 in the ultra carry II.
    I am surprised SA has not come out with a subcompact model yet. but I am real happy with the firearm I purchased. just over 500 rounds through it so far, with out a single hiccup...I installed the truglo TFO sites, and really like those. I am using primarily for a home defense, but did order a brommeland MCV, just in case.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Time for Plan B

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean View Post
    I wanted a 3" subcompact (.45 caliber) with a cut down 8 or 10 round magazine, something that was actually noticeably smaller in both dimensions.
    I wonder, could it be that they just can't get a 3" nominal barrel size XD to work reliably in .45 ACP? Maybe this is as good as it gets.
    It sounds like you were hoping for a .45 caliber XD with a 3 inch barrel and 8 or 10 round magazine, and Springfield is not cooperating. Is that the bottom line?

I'd say that if this is what you want, you'll have to forget Springfield and look at the available .45 guns that roughly fit this bill. Either:

- Glock 36 (but only 6+1 round capacity)
    - Glock 30 (9 or 10 rounds, but wide grip)
    - Kahr P45 (small and polymer, but only 6+1 rounds)
    - 1911 with 3 inch barrel (7+1 rounds with right mag)
    - Para 1911 with short barrel and wide grip (10 round capacity)

[QUOTE=

- Glock 36 (but only 6+1 round capacity)
    - Glock 30 (9 or 10 rounds, but wide grip)
    - Kahr P45 (small and polymer, but only 6+1 rounds)
    - 1911 with 3 inch barrel (7+1 rounds with right mag)
    - Para 1911 with short barrel and wide grip (10 round capacity)[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the Taurus PT145

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Ive found that the hardest part to conceal with my service XD.45 it the grip. This may solve that problem....

Im not going to lie, If I see one, I will probably buy it on the spot.
    Fear No Evil.

I handled one today. You still get the 13 round mag with it also. It is only .5 longer than a pt145 and .5 in taller than the PT145. I would have no problem hiding it. I have the XD40SC, and it will be replaced py the 45C.

steve

I have two XDs in .40, a subcompact and a tactical. I love the guns (despite the finish), but I just can't get into the 4" cut down .45 compact. I already have a 4" 1911. The XD isn't going to be any easier to conceal and with the cut isn't going to add that many rounds. I don't know why they can't make a 3" version. There are plenty of 3" .45's out there which are very reliable (my wife has a Kimber Ultra CDP which runs like a clock). I think I'd be more likely to buy the 5" XD .45. Let's face it, either you're dressed to carry a large gun (4-5") or your dressed to carry a small gun (3" being the biggest). At least for me ... there's not a lot of gray.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I'd say that if this is what you want, you'll have to forget Springfield and look at the available .45 guns that roughly fit this bill.
    Ah, but I don't want another gun, I want an XD.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean View Post
    Ah, but I don't want another gun, I want an XD.
    OH hell ya! Get the best and forget the rest.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Well I just had another range session with my XD45 service, and man is it nice. I still carry the ultra carry II everyday....but then again, my MCV for the XD hasn't arrived yet ...:)
    It just keeps growing on me...is it too big for a BUG? lol
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    Well I just had another range session with my XD45 service, and man is it nice. I still carry the ultra carry II everyday....but then again, my MCV for the XD hasn't arrived yet ...:)
    It just keeps growing on me...is it too big for a BUG? lol
    I agree with you about the XD45 service. That gun shoots like a dream, and with the 13 round mag, you couldn't ask for anything better. I shot mine for only the third time today and I fall in love with it more and more. Some swear by glocks, but I just don't see how anyone could not like the XD's. I would definitely like to see a sub XD45 When it does come out, and I know it will in a matter of time ( I think SA is just holding out, teasing us a little), I'll definitely get one, but until then it's gonna have to be the sub XD40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links