I got a new car (KAHR)

This is a discussion on I got a new car (KAHR) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got my new K9 yesterday. I have hand racked the slide and oiled her up for a range trip tomorrow. So far I love it. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I got a new car (KAHR)

I got a new car (KAHR)

Got my new K9 yesterday. I have hand racked the slide and oiled her up for a range trip tomorrow. So far I love it. I have a CW9 now and it has been flawless. The K9 is about the same size, takes the same mags, and is a bit heavier being an all steel gun. I like the fact that I could put laser grips on this one and that will probably be something I will do down the road. If all works well I may not need the CW anymore. The K9 feels like a better built gun. Some pictures below.

K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

2. Remove Ads

I've had a K9 for almost 20 years and it has treated me very well. It is such a good carry gun, but also fun to shoot.

I've mostly carried it in a Mitch Rosen ARG, but just bought an IWB kydex holster from pjholster with a j hook clip. Its very easy to take on/off and is so thin it disappears.

Hope you enjoy yours. For me its been the only one I would never sell.

I am so envious...that will be my first buy when CC finally gets to Illinois.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The K9 is a very nice pistol. The CT laser grips fit this model very well and are a great addition. A set of Mepro Tru Dot night sights ride on my K9, and can say enough about them. I have one in a Mitch Rosen as well, a Premier OWB that I really like. Smooth trigger, reliable action, good sights and a laser make the K9 a top notch CCW IMHO. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

Got2hav1, what is the mark on the left side trigger guard? There is a rumor that the newest K9 now come standard with the elite trigger,(the same short pull found on other Kahrs) . Do you know if that's the case or not?
    Last edited by ripley16; March 30th, 2013 at 08:43 AM.

Ever since reading about the Kahr K9 when it first came out I have always felt that it would be the perfect carry gun for me when I moved back to a Shall Issue State. However, when that day came, I ended up buying the P9 as it was lighter and less expensive. I no longer have the P9 but I have owned 4 other Kahrs which I sold for all metal guns with hammers which is what I have used for 4 decades. I do now own polymer framed guns and even one gun without a hammer. That is a big change for me. :) However I still lust for the K9 as I know it would fit my hand well. It has all that I like in a carry gun except for a lack of hammer. However at its current price point it is difficult to justify when I can get smaller and lighter guns for less. Somehow I think I will end up with one though and I envy you, yours. Enjoy!
    The Old Gunhand - gun news all in one place.

Somehow I ended up with only Sigs, HKs and S&W J-frames.

I've always thought a classic K9 with the Cylinder & Slide full reliability treatment would be one heck of a good carry weapon. Spendy, but sweet.

Probably has one of the top-5 ergonomics of any pistol ever made, at least for my hand. Fits like a glove.

Enjoy the new horse in the stable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

...best Kahr 9 I've seen...wanted one for years...but .45s keep gettin' my spendin' money...maybe someday...enjoy...the steel frame'll be a lot of fun to shoot...

That gun looks sweet. I have a PM9 and love it. Yours should be a lot of fun at the range, being less snappy in recoil. Good luck.
    He is a good man. But until all men are like him, we must keep our swords bright.

Nice. I got a CW9 about a week ago--haven't been able to shoot it yet due to the snow we've had. I'm looking forward to taking it to a range next week.

One question: I've done some dry fire practicing with snap caps and when I pull the trigger all the way back, it'll pause just a moment before the click. Is that normal?

Also, what do you recommend doing to a new Kahr before you take it out for the first time? (this is my first semi-auto after years of revolvers).

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    I've had a K9 for almost 20 years...
    Really? Interesting!!!
    ripley16 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    I've had a K9 for almost 20 years and it has treated me very well. It is such a good carry gun, but also fun to shoot.
    ~20yrs ago, the Kahr K9 was the first pistol I handled/stripped/tested with intent to purchase.

Ended up picking something else, but the K9 was the one in which the ergonomics truly spoke to me. Had cut my teeth on a Browning Hi-Power, and the Kahr K9 came about as close to that as one can get, for a compact gun. The one thing that sold me on another was desire for larger capacity, beyond the Kahr's 7rd magazines.

To this day, each time I fondle a K9 it makes me wonder. Haven't seen one for $300 lately. Perhaps an estate sale will come along and fall into my lap. Trust me: the moment I do, though, it's mine.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 30th, 2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: brainfade; change in dates.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    That's a fine looking weapon there.

Read this. It will lead you thru the proper steps.

Proper prep of a new kahr - KahrTalk Forums

Their should be no pause before the trigger break. I have had two CW9s, one T9, and now the K9. All the triggers have been the same. All very smooth with no hesistation. By the way the T9 had a slightly lighter smoother trigger, as it should since its a target model. Beautiful gun too.
    Todd_Ohio likes this.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

I have no idea what that mark is. I saw it but don't know what it is. I will ask over on the Kahr Talk forum. Someone there will know for sure. It looks like a proof mark but I really don't know.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Particularly if you find the trigger a bit tiresome to deal with once you've broken-in the gun, definitely consider giving Cylinder & Slide a call. They're experts with the Kahr and making it truly "sing." A full action/trigger/reliability job's a bit expensive, but it can transform the gun.
    Todd_Ohio likes this.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links