I got a new car (KAHR)

This is a discussion on I got a new car (KAHR) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got my new K9 yesterday. I have hand racked the slide and oiled her up for a range trip tomorrow. So far I love it. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I got a new car (KAHR)

I got a new car (KAHR)

Got my new K9 yesterday. I have hand racked the slide and oiled her up for a range trip tomorrow. So far I love it. I have a CW9 now and it has been flawless. The K9 is about the same size, takes the same mags, and is a bit heavier being an all steel gun. I like the fact that I could put laser grips on this one and that will probably be something I will do down the road. If all works well I may not need the CW anymore. The K9 feels like a better built gun. Some pictures below.

K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

2. Remove Ads

I've had a K9 for almost 20 years and it has treated me very well. It is such a good carry gun, but also fun to shoot.

I've mostly carried it in a Mitch Rosen ARG, but just bought an IWB kydex holster from pjholster with a j hook clip. Its very easy to take on/off and is so thin it disappears.

Hope you enjoy yours. For me its been the only one I would never sell.

I am so envious...that will be my first buy when CC finally gets to Illinois.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The K9 is a very nice pistol. The CT laser grips fit this model very well and are a great addition. A set of Mepro Tru Dot night sights ride on my K9, and can say enough about them. I have one in a Mitch Rosen as well, a Premier OWB that I really like. Smooth trigger, reliable action, good sights and a laser make the K9 a top notch CCW IMHO. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

Got2hav1, what is the mark on the left side trigger guard? There is a rumor that the newest K9 now come standard with the elite trigger,(the same short pull found on other Kahrs) . Do you know if that's the case or not?
    Last edited by ripley16; March 30th, 2013 at 08:43 AM.

Ever since reading about the Kahr K9 when it first came out I have always felt that it would be the perfect carry gun for me when I moved back to a Shall Issue State. However, when that day came, I ended up buying the P9 as it was lighter and less expensive. I no longer have the P9 but I have owned 4 other Kahrs which I sold for all metal guns with hammers which is what I have used for 4 decades. I do now own polymer framed guns and even one gun without a hammer. That is a big change for me. :) However I still lust for the K9 as I know it would fit my hand well. It has all that I like in a carry gun except for a lack of hammer. However at its current price point it is difficult to justify when I can get smaller and lighter guns for less. Somehow I think I will end up with one though and I envy you, yours. Enjoy!
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

I've always thought a classic K9 with the Cylinder & Slide full reliability treatment would be one heck of a good carry weapon. Spendy, but sweet.

Probably has one of the top-5 ergonomics of any pistol ever made, at least for my hand. Fits like a glove.

Enjoy the new horse in the stable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

...best Kahr 9 I've seen...wanted one for years...but .45s keep gettin' my spendin' money...maybe someday...enjoy...the steel frame'll be a lot of fun to shoot...

That gun looks sweet. I have a PM9 and love it. Yours should be a lot of fun at the range, being less snappy in recoil. Good luck.
    It isnít the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Nice. I got a CW9 about a week ago--haven't been able to shoot it yet due to the snow we've had. I'm looking forward to taking it to a range next week.

One question: I've done some dry fire practicing with snap caps and when I pull the trigger all the way back, it'll pause just a moment before the click. Is that normal?

Also, what do you recommend doing to a new Kahr before you take it out for the first time? (this is my first semi-auto after years of revolvers).

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    I've had a K9 for almost 20 years...
    Really? Interesting!!!
    ripley16 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    I've had a K9 for almost 20 years and it has treated me very well. It is such a good carry gun, but also fun to shoot.
    ~20yrs ago, the Kahr K9 was the first pistol I handled/stripped/tested with intent to purchase.

Ended up picking something else, but the K9 was the one in which the ergonomics truly spoke to me. Had cut my teeth on a Browning Hi-Power, and the Kahr K9 came about as close to that as one can get, for a compact gun. The one thing that sold me on another was desire for larger capacity, beyond the Kahr's 7rd magazines.

To this day, each time I fondle a K9 it makes me wonder. Haven't seen one for $300 lately. Perhaps an estate sale will come along and fall into my lap. Trust me: the moment I do, though, it's mine.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 30th, 2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: brainfade; change in dates.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    That's a fine looking weapon there.

Read this. It will lead you thru the proper steps.

Proper prep of a new kahr - KahrTalk Forums

Their should be no pause before the trigger break. I have had two CW9s, one T9, and now the K9. All the triggers have been the same. All very smooth with no hesistation. By the way the T9 had a slightly lighter smoother trigger, as it should since its a target model. Beautiful gun too.
    Todd_Ohio likes this.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

I have no idea what that mark is. I saw it but don't know what it is. I will ask over on the Kahr Talk forum. Someone there will know for sure. It looks like a proof mark but I really don't know.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Particularly if you find the trigger a bit tiresome to deal with once you've broken-in the gun, definitely consider giving Cylinder & Slide a call. They're experts with the Kahr and making it truly "sing." A full action/trigger/reliability job's a bit expensive, but it can transform the gun.
    Todd_Ohio likes this.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links