Review of the Tisas 1911 GI

This is a discussion on Review of the Tisas 1911 GI within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new here and you guys don't know me but I have seen a lot of people wanting a pistol on a budget. First ...

Thread: Review of the Tisas 1911 GI

I am new here and you guys don't know me but I have seen a lot of people wanting a pistol on a budget.

First off I am 52 years old. My dad put a Goverment issued 1911 from WWII in my hands when I was about 8 years old and I was sold on the 1911 platform that day. I have a bunch of other guns but I always come back to the 1911 as my favorite.

I currently own differnt configurations of Colt, Rock Island, Springfield Armory, Kimber and a few others.

I have carried a Colt Gold Cup for over 30 years. It is my favorite every day gun that I trust my life with.

Anyway, A couple of things recently caused me to want to stop carrying it every day.

1. I have to get in an out of my truck a lot and go in places that don't allow you to carry. That means the gun is in a lockbox with a cable around the seat leg but it is still alone and could get stolen.
    2. I went to get it out of it's holster under the steering column the other day and I don't know how it happened but when I was getting it out , I managed to drop it and it went bounching around and landed on a gravel driveway and thank goodness it didn't get scratched.

I wanted a bare bones trust worthy GI type pistol to carry when my routine is like this.

I bought the 5" 1911 GI pistol from Bud's Gun shop after reading a lot of reviews about it. and figured that for $400.00 delivered, I couldn't go wrong.

I got this pistol and was very pleasantly surprised. I immediately started checking it out and while it isn't as smooth as some of my other handguns, it seemed to have pretty tight tolerances. Parts looked good, so I field stripped it, cleaned and reoiled it and took it out to shoot.

I have Novak sights on my GC and quite honestly since I wear monovision contacts, the short GI sights are a problem but for a person with good eyes, they shouldn't be a problem.

I have currently ran around 500 rounds through it with one FTE and that was because of the round.

I have only ran 230 Grain Ball ammo through it and it has mostly been cheap ammo like tulammmo, Armscor, etc.
    I did polish the feed ramp just a little not because it really needed it but because I could.

The trigger isn't as smooth as my GC or Kimber but for someone wanting to try out the 1911 platform or for someone that just needs a reliable entry level handgun, I whole heartedly give 2 big thumbs up to this weapon.

I did put a set of cheap G10 grips on it because I didn't like the smooth Turkey Walnut grips but until I get a chance to have the sights installed, that is all I have done to it.

The Rock Island version of this gun is more expensive but I wouldn't give the RI any points over this Tisas.
    I hope this helps someone out.

2F9C781B-E325-4677-84DB-C94374952D84-1410-00000202CCE6FDC0_zpsd7a23c01.jpg

Thanks for the review! It really sounds like the Tisas would be a good option for a cheaper 1911 or as a foundation to customize. I've also been shooting 1911's since I was old enough to hold one! Back in the day, Dad has several Springfield guns and a few Auto Ords, too. He felt the Springers were as good as anything out there as a basic gun to build one. I might eventually have to try one of the Tisas pistols since I'm currently w/o a 1911.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Tisas makes very good 1911's for the buck. My understanding is that the 1911's imported by Umarex (Regent) are also made by Tisas.
    Obviously for around $500, you are not going to get a Wilson Combat quality, but they work according to almost every reveiw I've seen.

thanks for the info.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Sponsored Links