Range report - Kimber Ultra Carry II (Gander Mountain version)

This is a discussion on Range report - Kimber Ultra Carry II (Gander Mountain version) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The carry permit came today and I went to go pick up the Kimber at Gander Mountain. Took it to the range and ran 220 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Range report - Kimber Ultra Carry II (Gander Mountain version)

Range report - Kimber Ultra Carry II (Gander Mountain version)

The carry permit came today and I went to go pick up the Kimber at Gander Mountain. Took it to the range and ran 220 rounds through it.

Most of the ammo was Magtech or American Eagle. 150 Magtech and 50 American Eagle. Had one failure to fire, but I think that was me not used to the thumb safety.

At about the 175 mark I decided to run some defensive rounds through it. Started with 230gr Cor-bon. Had one FTF. Took out barrel, wiped off feed ramp with a dry patch, finished mag. Ran 8 rounds of Speer Gold 200gr +P. No issues. Finished off the box of Magtech without issue. No other cleaning or oiling done at the range. I would say it was a successful outing. With all the talk about 3" Kimber not feed or ejecting, I am glad with it's performance. It runs well and with another 200 or rounds through it, I suspect I will never have an issue.

As far as accuracy goes I am more than pleased. It does shoot low and left at 7-10 yards. I'm ok with that as it is the same as my 226 and I am comfortable compensating. The large colored dots I used to tweak the laser at the 15 or so yards. I'm happy with it. The yellow circle was the last bit of tweaking and the final mag. I will need to check it again with the defensive rounds, just to be sure. Very happy for defensive placement of shots iron or laser.

Very glad I picked it up.

p.s. those Speer +P kick like a beast in that tiny gun.

_DSC0008.jpg
    Sig Sauer P226 .40 - HD
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 - EDC

2. Remove Ads

I'm glad you like it!

One question - does the pistol shoot low and left, or do you? I only ask because I have had (and sometimes continue to have) the same issue - the round group well, but are low and left of my POA - and it's not limited to any one gun. For me, the problem is my trigger control. When I slow things down and concentrate on a very slow, smooth trigger press the rounds magically go exactly where they are supposed to.
    kmagnuss and Aceoky like this.

I suppose it could be me. I do need to work on my trigger for sure. I think the grip is pretty solid. I assumed since the 226 is sighted for 25 yards from the factory, low left was the norm and figured the Kimber was no different. I never thought about it since I was grouping the same everytime, save a few fliers. More practice is in order! I should bench fire them.
    Sig Sauer P226 .40 - HD

Wow - sounds like a great day lol!! Congratulations.

Low and left,are you right handed? If so, cause is most likely flinch or trigger jerking.
    Aceoky likes this.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith6470 View Post
    The carry permit came today and I went to go pick up the Kimber at Gander Mountain. [...] It does shoot low and left at 7-10 yards. I'm ok with that as it is the same as my 226 and I am comfortable compensating.

_DSC0008.jpg
    Funny, my 226 shoots a little low and left as well... That's usually diagnosed as 'recoil anticipation', but now I'm not so sure...
    Aceoky likes this.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Nice Kimber and congrats on the permit. As far as the low/left shooting, I had the same issue when I first started shooting small handguns. The problem was me, I was flinching and jerking the trigger, training and practice has helped me fix this. I'm no expert marksman but I shoot decently tight groups with all my guns now. A good way to figure out if it is you or the gun is to fire it from a shooting rest, a sandbag works well for this.

Thanks everyone. I figured I was the main cause. I am pretty sure I jerk the trigger as my trigger skills are pretty weak. I do flinch from time to time, but trigger is my weakness. Always learning!
    Sig Sauer P226 .40 - HD

Congrats on getting the permit. I think you'll really like the Kimber. If you have different defensive ammo available I would suggest you try several different ones to see what feeds best in your specimen.
    bsmith6470 likes this.

My Kimber was low left until I had the trigger reduced from 6# to 3.1#. I can't anticipate or jerk now, it goes off before that. Really works well for me. Remember-- CDP = Cool Damn Pistol !
    bsmith6470 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Glad to see you enjoying your Kimber.

SmokinFool, I have run some Cor-Bon and Gold Dots, albeit not alot. They seem to feed fine. I really want to run HST through it, but those are impossible to find.
    Sig Sauer P226 .40 - HD

I cleaned up my low/left shooting by switching up my grip a bit and putting the trigger on the pad of the END of my finger... and concentrating on squeezing it straight back instead of just squeezing it (which makes the gun go to the left slightly).

Nice gun btw.

Thanks everyone. I figured I was the main cause. I am pretty sure I jerk the trigger as my trigger skills are pretty weak. I do flinch from time to time, but trigger is my weakness. Always learning!
    Well now you are half way there, discovering the error of your ways. Dry firing is a good start to overcoming it, also to see just how bad your flinch / jerk is, have someone else load the gun with one round at a time, and occasionally not load it and hand it to you, pulling the trigger on an empty chamber when you think is going to go off, is a sure way to tell what is happing.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The carry permit came today and I went to go pick up the Kimber at Gander Mountain. Took it to the range and ran 220 rounds through it.

Most of the ammo was Magtech or American Eagle. 150 Magtech and 50 American Eagle. Had one failure to fire, but I think that was me not used to the thumb safety.

At about the 175 mark I decided to run some defensive rounds through it. Started with 230gr Cor-bon. Had one FTF. Took out barrel, wiped off feed ramp with a dry patch, finished mag. Ran 8 rounds of Speer Gold 200gr +P. No issues. Finished off the box of Magtech without issue. No other cleaning or oiling done at the range. I would say it was a successful outing. With all the talk about 3" Kimber not feed or ejecting, I am glad with it's performance. It runs well and with another 200 or rounds through it, I suspect I will never have an issue.

As far as accuracy goes I am more than pleased. It does shoot low and left at 7-10 yards. I'm ok with that as it is the same as my 226 and I am comfortable compensating. The large colored dots I used to tweak the laser at the 15 or so yards. I'm happy with it. The yellow circle was the last bit of tweaking and the final mag. I will need to check it again with the defensive rounds, just to be sure. Very happy for defensive placement of shots iron or laser.

Very glad I picked it up.

p.s. those Speer +P kick like a beast in that tiny gun.

_DSC0008.jpg
    Try some of the COR-BON 160g DPX and the Speer 230g Gold Dot short barrel ammo. If it feeds, I think you will like how it shoots. I like it in my XDs and G30. The longer barrel 45s, 4" and 5" seem to like the 230g Gold Dot.

For me, the +P doesn't add enough to the terminal performance of a 230g GD to be worth the extra recoil.

It took me a couple of years of working on it, but my pistols all finally stopped shooting low and left with out me having to adjust the sights.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links