Need a Kimber Ultra Carry expert ...

This is a discussion on Need a Kimber Ultra Carry expert ... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had the new Kimber out the range yesterday and put about 200 rounds through it. After about 150 or so, a small patch of skin ...

Thread: Need a Kimber Ultra Carry expert ...

Need a Kimber Ultra Carry expert ...

Had the new Kimber out the range yesterday and put about 200 rounds through it. After about 150 or so, a small patch of skin wore off right under the tab of the thumb safety, circled in red. What have others done about this? Or is this something I have to live with as part of the design of this particular gun? Would a shooting glove be a good option for extended range time?

20130331_125411.jpg
    Sig Sauer P226 .40 - HD
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 - EDC

2. Remove Ads

Not an Ultra Carry expert but I can sympathize. I had the exact same problem when shooting a Sig P938. Had a hard corner on the safety filed down and polished smooth, but the problem continued. The only thing that helped was putting a band aid over the area that would inevitably get blistered by the gun, before heading to the range. It's one of several reasons that gun ultimately didn't work out for me.

I haven't had that problem with any other gun, including my husband's Ultra Carry... but then again, I've never shot more than a couple of mags through it at a time.

Will be interested to see what advice you get on this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

For now just protect your damaged skin with adhesive tape, and once it heals just shoot more. Your body will adapt.

The grip checkering on my TRP wore my fingers and palm pretty raw when the gun was new - that is some aggressive checkering. I just kept shooting it, and now I hardly notice... the skin just got tougher.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

If its due to a rough spot or a high spot on the thumb safety you can sand the area til its smooth or sanded down so it doesn't rub
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Band-aid is a good idea. The spot in question is perfectly smooth, just how my hand is built.
    Sig Sauer P226 .40 - HD
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 - EDC

I wear a shooting glove from Cabelas for extended shooting sessions. The fingers are half exposed so you can feel the gun and trigger. The web area is slightly padded to absorb recoil and the leather is soft. Trust me it works well, no more sore hand.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Keep shooting... the blaster will turn to a callous

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

Bandaid and keep on shooting. That problem will go away over time, otherwise you can look at slightly adjusting your thumb.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Links