Help me out, Colt guys

Help me out, Colt guys

This is a discussion on Help me out, Colt guys within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Will be grabbing a Commander very soon. Am leaning towards the 1991 version (04091U) as it is readily available, and I prefer a single side ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pogo2

Thread: Help me out, Colt guys

Help me out, Colt guys

Will be grabbing a Commander very soon. Am leaning towards the 1991 version (04091U) as it is readily available, and I prefer a single side safety. But I may have a line on an XSE (04012XSE). I like the beavertail on the XSE over the duckbill on the 1991. So long as I can find decent sights for the 1991 I'll probably head that way. What do you guys think?

OD*
    The standard sights are quite usable, they're just not "sleek" those on the XSE.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Single side safety plus beavertail

I also like a single side safety instead of an ambi safety on a 1911. But I prefer a beavertail to a ducktail for the grip safety. I had a couple of Colt Gold Cups converted to a Wilson beavertail and round hammer from their original tang hammer both for comfort and for looks. I don't know why Colt has been so slow to go over to high ride beavertails.

QKShooter likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Either one should be a good choice, beaver tail grip safety is nice, prevents hammer bite. My only reservation is I'd rather not have any 1911 that has a firing pin block like the Series 80 Colt. I prefer the Series 70 style without the firing pin block. Fewer parts, more simple, maybe a better trigger pull though most people cant tell any difference in the trigger pull of a Series 80 or Series 70 with or without the firing pin block.

I would have preferred the single safety but I got a deal on this gun. So I took it as is. Barely used OTD for 850. A friend told me about it, and then said if you don't buy it, I will. My first and only 1911. Some pictures to hold you over till you get yours. Good Luck and enjoy.

K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Great thing about 1911's they can be modified to fit the man or the mission. So shoot it for a while then you can change it if you need to.

COLT 1911's ROCK!!!

I love my XSE! Even a standard Commander is a nice 1911, and a great starting point.

Either way you go, you will be making the right decision.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sponsored Links