Glock 38

This is a discussion on Glock 38 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While browsing the internet I stumbled across a new glock 38 with 500rds of speer ammo (sounds great right?) Well the fella wanted $770 for ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zonker1986

Thread: Glock 38

Glock 38

While browsing the internet I stumbled across a new glock 38 with 500rds of speer ammo (sounds great right?)

Well the fella wanted $770 for all of it but wanted a trade, I had a spare G22 (used, showing signs of wear) so I ended up trading my glock 2 factory mags, 2 KCI mags and a box of ammo for mine for his.

now the kicker is this 45 GAP, I kinda jumped the gun on this one but hey 90% of the guns I own in my safe have been bought that way.

feels like a g30....but its this non-standard ammo that has me on buyers remorse.

897573_02_glock_38_45gap__640.jpg

2. Remove Ads

well if ur g22 was ur spare and you have more glocks or more good handguns i woulda done it. but 45 gap is pretty rare atleast where im at. i havto drive 1 1/2 hours to the next town to find 45 gap. thats if they even have any right now with the craze goin on. but ya id like to own a 45 gap, i still like 45acp better but wouldnt mind having a gap

Yeah, I haven't looked much for ammo locally (im afraid to now) I sat in the sun all day with no hat or sunscreen...so could be cooked brain cell making decisions on this one.

I should be able to get my money back with 500rds of ammo and the gun...If I go that route...I think.

VIP Member
    It's a great round but it's not catching on very fast. I like the idea of a 45 in a small frame, but I bought a XDS45.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I think you did quite well on the deal. I would love to get a Glock 39 in 45 GAP.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

i think you did quite well, since you got 500 rounds of ammo too. SD loads might be harder to find and more limited in selection, but you don't need that much. if it had been me in your place, i'd be jumping for joy.

one caution: i believe the G38's slide is thicker than the equivalent 19, 23, 32 guns, so check to see that any holster you are considering will actually fit.

i suspect you'll do OK if you can find .45GAP loads at on-line vendors. i'd stock up just a bit if it were me.

and save your brass. even if you don't reload, you can probably find someone who does who'd be willing to reload your used brass.

GAP stands for Glock Automatic Pistol, and to my knowledge is the only manufacturer still making a gun in that caliber. Ballistics are very good and quite a few PD's issue
    a Glock in the 45GAP. As long as Glock stands behind the caliber, you should be ok.....if Glock bails and discontinues the caliber, then you have a nice collectors item
    and ammo will be impossible to find.

I don't think I would have given up a G22 for a G38, but that's just me.
    Taurahe likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Haha, yeah as for giving up a G22 I feel a little like that now.

But it was just a police issue gun, I can buy another.

The rounds that came with the G38 where Speer 200gr GDHPS, I always save brass and am a reloading little monkey.

IMHO, if I collected GLOCK handguns, I would certainly need a G38 (and a G19). But if I simply carried & shot GLOCKs, I personally wouldn't spend my gun-money on a .45 GAP.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

In before someone makes the asinine "solution looking for a problem" comment.

I have a Glock 38 and like it.
    The 38 has the exact same frame as the 19/23/32 but the slide is slightly thicker.
    For anyone that ever wished they could launch a 45 bullet from a Glock 19/23 size pistol, the Glock 38 / 45 GAP is it.

500 rounds of Speer Gold Dots, in 50 round boxes? That would have been ~$350 not too long ago.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I dont think you got a bad deal, but it is a deal I would not have taken. 45 GAP is hard enough to find on a good day, and one day will become obsolete, making anything chambered in a dinosaur. It is a great idea but just has not caught on, as there many other great rounds have died in a similar manner. If you collect, you could hold onto it. If you dont, you could sell it for what you paid and get a new glock in a more finder friendly caliber, put it towards a super awesome 1911, buy a ton of ammo, or you could just keep it, shoot the ammo you have and have fun, but I think 500 rds to go with it any gun right now is a heck of a selling point.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Links