Trying to decide stay one caliber or...

This is a discussion on Trying to decide stay one caliber or... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been planning on staying 45 ACP only but would like to add a revolver to my collection & trying to decide whether to pay big ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Trying to decide stay one caliber or...

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Trying to decide stay one caliber or...

Been planning on staying 45 ACP only but would like to add a revolver to my collection & trying to decide whether to pay big bucks for a 45 acp revolver or not quite as much & have two calibers with revolver being a 357.
    Comments-Opinions?
    Fitch likes this.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

When I add a revolver even though im packing 40 cal semi it will be in 357 mag. Ive had em. Can hunt with em. Extremely effective SD rd. Ive had 45 40 9mm 40 right now but a wheelie would def be 357 mag.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Around the Y2K hoopla I abandoned the notion of keeping the number of different calibers to a minimum. I never regretted that decision.
    Aceoky, 10thmtn and bmcgilvray like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

357. Very versitile and you can shoot 38spcl in it also. With the way ammo is now its nice to have as many options as you can.
    Eagleks likes this.
    A small gun in your poket is better than a 45 in the truck.

i bought a 40cal at the end of november 2012 right before this ammo shortage happen. since then i have bought a 9mm and a 45acp so that i have a variety of calibers so that if i do find handgun ammo i have 3 chances of getting ammo for one of my pistols

I vote add the .357. I would like to do the same if I could afford it right now.

...45ACP's my first choice, but in case things get bad and ammo gets scarce, I don't want to run out and have a club...
    ...I've got .38Spl/.357 revolvers to make use of those calibers which ammo might be available in...
    ...I also have one 9mm pistol, though I'm not fond of the caliber...because many of those I might be in conflict with will be using 9mms, and I'll have something to fire "donated" ammo in...
    ...having a few different calibers betters our chances of finding SOME ammo that we can use...

Now don't get me wrong... I like the idea of having only one caliber in the house. Makes things so much easier. But even I have more than just black socks in the old sock drawer lol.

Buying a revolver in .45ACP "to me" is like having a Ferrari, but only putting regular gas in it because you have a gas can in the old garage with some regular gas in it lol.

The .38 and the .357 are made for wheel guns. They are so varied that you can have just about the best of anything if you have a revolver with a long enough barrel. It just seems a crime to not use it...

But again, if your calling for only one caliber is stronger than the variety and spice a combo of .38 and .357 can give you - I dig it! I have worse hang-ups than that lol. It's just my opinion is all.

You can not go wrong with a revolver chambered for .357 mag / .38 special. There is such a wide range of accessible, ammo. Both calibers have long proven track records of "on the streets" credibility. You can probably still find a S&W, or Ruger,, maybe a Colt; even a Taurus 'no frills' revolver for a reasonable price.
    Eagleks likes this.

I too, prefer the .45 caliber in my Glocks, but would not want to mess with moon clips in a .45 revolver.
    Like some others have already mentioned, the .357 pistol (SP101 in .357) does allow one to shoot both .38 and .357...that's what I went with.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    While having just one caliber is nice for ammo purposes, it can be impractical when switching from Semi auto to a revolver. I'd pass on the .45ACP revolver and go with the .357. Depending on the size gun your looking for, if you looking at 4" barrel, I'd look long and hard at the Ruger GP-100.
    Fitch likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I have been carrying a 10mm lately due to ammo price and availability. Who woulda thunk???
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

I've never wanted to limit myself to one caliber.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I've reduced and restricted myself to four(five) calibers, .22, 9mm, .357/.38 and .45acp. Of those the only one I don't carry for defense are the .22's.
    Snub44 likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've never been on the "one and one only" caliber bandwagon. When I hit the lotto, I'm going to hire a professional staff to arrange the different caliber ammos under some sort of system. But if One and Done is your preference, get the .45 wheelie.
    cthruit and franco45 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links