Ruger LC9

Ruger LC9

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I am looking for folks with experience with the LC9. Thoughts, pros, cons, other pocket 9mm guns they prefer or prefer the LC9 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9

Ruger LC9

Hello All,

I am looking for folks with experience with the LC9. Thoughts, pros, cons, other pocket 9mm guns they prefer or prefer the LC9 to.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

VIP Member
    Had one, sold it. While it functioned fine, I hated the excessive (in my opinion) trigger pull. Went with the Kahr CW line and have never looked back.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the feedback Archer, very helpful as always!
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    My wife really likes her LC9 and I'm surprised at how accurate she is with it. I don't really care for the long trigger pull myself but I found it pretty easy to get used to. My one complaint is they should ship them with more than one magazine.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Roger that on more than 1 mag. Other than that I really like mine. It is my EDC. Shoots good with everything i have tried. No issues.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

excellent little gun if u can deal with the long trigger pull.

Helpful guys, keep it coming.

I am looking at one as a pocket gun for when IWB carry is not practical due to attire or circumstances. It wouldn't be my primary EDC so the trigger is only a concern if I shoot it poorly because of it.

I think you should try one if possible before you buy. I dont mind a long DA trigger pull of a revolver, but cant stand the long trigger pull of a small auto, except for S&W bodyguard 380. The bodyguard has a nice trigger pull, and has actual sights which will put lead on targets easily. I had a few friends over two weekends ago to shoot in my backyard, and they all loved the bodyguard. Second place out of all the guns we shot that were "carry" guns was my friends Diamonback 9mm.... trigger was sweet, and he prefers the 9mm over my 380, however my buffalo bore +p rounds are sufficient for my taste. Just a few options if you find you dont like the trigger on the Ruger. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

My wife shoots an LC9 that I purchased for her at Christmas. I chose that pistol due to the fact that it has a long double action only trigger. We have been married for 20 years and during that time she was never really interested in shooting or hunting. As of recently, her interest has changed and she sent for her FOID card. Since she had little shooting experience, I felt that a double action trigger would be a better starting point for her. Now let me tell ya, in the past 3 months she has put over 700 rounds through that gun with (0) malfunctions and the best part..............the trigger has lightened since being shot and is a nice, smooth pull. I do not have a trigger scale but I would say it is 1/2 of what it was new. As far as accuracy, 21 ft at the range, she can put 50 out of 50 on a paper plate, most of them in (1) big hole in the center, all day long. Great shooting gun, decent sights, not too heavy, well worth the money.

If you are going for a pocket gun I recommend a jframe revolver. I carried the lc9 and a s&w 442. Liked the lc9 except for the trigger. It being so thin my finger would start to wrap around the trigger as I pulled it to its final breaking point. Hurt accuracy. Sold it and bought a Colt kw commander xse. Still have the jframe and always carry at least it. Highly recommend the jframe route.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Definitely hold one before you buy it, The concave grips are kind of odd to me and not very comfortable to hold. It's much more snappy than some of the other subcompact 9's I've shot, but it has gone bang every time. Ditto on the more than one mag.

Hated the grip and had function issues. Traded toward a Glock and never looked back.

i have 2 problems with the wife's LC9, the long trigger pull and its pink,
    terry

Put one in your pocket also. Mine is a little big for the pockets of some of my pants/shorts. I am probably more concerned about it showing than most since I am new to concealed carry, so I went and got an LCP for summer carry. Still like my LC9 though.

I have one and love it! I added a Pachmayr grip glove to it and that solved the concave grip issue that someone mentioned above. Also makes it a little more fun to shoot - the checkering really wears on my hand after 100-150 rounds or so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links