Added a wheel gun to the CCW rotation......

This is a discussion on Added a wheel gun to the CCW rotation...... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking for a S&W J Frame for a while now; finally came across one today. Smith & Wesson 442:...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Added a wheel gun to the CCW rotation......

Added a wheel gun to the CCW rotation......

I've been looking for a S&W J Frame for a while now; finally came across one today.

Smith & Wesson 442:

2. Remove Ads

The S&W is slightly bigger, but lighter than the Kimber:

triage1998 likes this.

i have the similar 642. very good for pocket carry, if you want to carry that way. easier to pocket draw than a semi-auto (IMO). i don't shoot mine very well, but many folks can. i think you'll like it.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Excellent!

I'm an LCR guy myself but I'll never snub a S&W.
    SmokinFool and JoJoGunn like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Shot it yet? I had one; I'm OK with recoil, but I thought this was the most painful gun I've ever shot. Without gloves, I really could not shoot more than 24 rounds with this little beast. Got rid of it because I knew I would never practice enough to get good with it, and I really did not care to have it as a collector's piece only...

Thanks for the complements, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by GunTrooper View Post
    Shot it yet?
    I haven't shot it yet. I bought it today and did not have time to get out to the farm to try her out.

Be careful because they are habit forming. I have been buying them for over 40 years. My first carry gun was a Colt Detective Special and I still own two snub noses for ccw. Only difference is that I have jumped the S&W ship to get on the Ruger LCR bandwagon. Just like their triggers better and they are lightweight without making you pay dearly for it. However I will pick up another S&W when I see one.

The problem with revolvers is that you quickly grow to enjoy not having to buy magazines for them or special ammo. No more worry if today will be the day that it jams and then go crazy trying to figure out if it was the mag, your grip, the ammo, the springs, the ejector, the feed ramp, pressure against the slide, not enough lube, too much lube, the wrong kind of lube, pressing the slide release while gripping the gun, etc.. You just take it to the range with a box of any old ammo you can get and it will shoot for you with no problems. When I look back over the last 4 decades and remember every semi auto gun that was reliable (even Glocks and Sigs), up to the day it was not, I cannot help but think what if that was the day I really needed it for defense. Do not get me wrong as I also carry semi autos but the difference is that when I carry a semi auto I hope that it goes bang when I need it to and with a revolver I do not even think about that at all. :)
    Last edited by Old_Dog; April 2nd, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
    old grunt likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Looks great! I looked at the 442 but ended up with the BG 38. I heard a lot of complaints about recoil prior to buying mine, but I think these small revolvers are a great buy and the recoil really isn't that bad. Now my only concern is that I'm getting hooked on these wheel guns and I might notice my bank account taking a hit.
    IMG_0943.jpgIMG_0944.jpg

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Excelent choice! I also have a S&W 442 in my CCW rotation and I love to carry it in my pocket or IWB when wearing shorts in the beach or when I head for a quick errand or to walk my dog. There is something special about a J Frame, so watch out because they tend to multiply rather quickly. My next purchase is a Ruger SP101 2.25" in .357 Magnum.

Here's my snubby!!!

14.jpg
    marcclarke likes this.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    Wheel guns are real guns. I owned a 36,60 and 640 as off-duty guns. Liked them all. Now I have an SP101, not exactly a lightweight but reliable as a framing hammer. Good Luck with your Smith !
    Snub44 likes this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Congratulations!
    I have a 642 in my rotation, easy and quick to put in my pocket. When I'm riding my motorcycle it's always in my vest pocket.
    Like others have mentioned revolvers grow on you.
    NRA Life Member
    R1200RT
    Remember, math is your friend not your enemy!

That's a terrific acquisition. A small .38/.357 revolver is a great addition to anyone's carry rotation.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    NIce

I believe a J-frame is a must have carry piece.

Great snub, been carring one for years. Not sure why they say no fun to shoot i have in my rotation for quick trips to store great pocket carry, my wife shoots hers all the time shes 67 years old. I did get hers a action job polished the trigger face an ported it but shoots like a dream. My SP101 is daily carry image.jpg
    Patti likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links