Looking for a smaller carry option

This is a discussion on Looking for a smaller carry option within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in the market for a new carry weapon, although I'm new to carrying all together. I currently carry a S&W Bodyguard 38 special, and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Looking for a smaller carry option

I'm in the market for a new carry weapon, although I'm new to carrying all together. I currently carry a S&W Bodyguard 38 special, and while it usually conceals pretty well, I'm looking for a smaller carry option, maybe even a pocket gun as it will be warming up soon and I'm not the biggest person.

I think I have it narrowed down to a few options, but wanted some opinions on how well the following guns perform and conceal. I'm considering the Springfield XDs, Walther PPS, or the Ruger LC9. Caliber doesn't concern me too much, but I prefer 9mm or larger. Just wondering if there are any other good options I might be overlooking.

Also, a big factor for me is the safety features on the weapon. I know a lot of people prefer not to have an external safety, but it's something I'm used to and I like the piece of mind it provides. However I realize the PPS (and many carry weapons) do not have much for external safety features. If there are any other small sized pistols with thumb safeties, I'd be interested to know about them. Just a side note, I'm not a fan of the M&P Shield as the thumb safety is similar to the bodyguard 380's in that it is flush with the body and would be difficult to manipulate in a high stress situation.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kahr PM9
    baruffic likes this.

If you're open to SA, you gotta give the Sig P938 a look. It's about as concealable, light weight and accurate a 9mm package that you'll find.

VIP Member
    Glock 19.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

As far as going smaller, the BG .38 is already quite small. Try carrying it a few different ways and see if you find a method that conceals better for you. That said if you prefer a safety, I would look at the Sig p238, 938, or if you don't mind waiting a year or so Kimber is coming out with their micro 1911 (.380).
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Only the LC9 has an external safety, thought the XDS has a grip safety.

I like the P238 or P938. It's SA with an external safety but no grip safety, like a 1911.

A Kahr PM9 or CM9 is another option.

Others: Beretta Nano, S&W Shield, Rohrbaugh R9, Springfield EMP
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    You should also consider the following:

Sig Sauer P938
    Kimber Solo
    Beretta Nano
    Kahr PM9
    Ruger LCP
    marcclarke and gottabkiddin like this.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

The Nano is awesome but there's no manual safety, something the OP mentioned wanting. The Sig P939 would fit the bill, maybe the Colt Mustang if you can find one (or one of the derivatives).

FWIW, when I'm not carrying a full sized SA auto, I'm packing my Nano.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

As mentioned, you can find other options that are a bit thinner, but there really isn't much point to it. The overall dimensions of the BG lends itself to be easily concealable.
    Bad Bob likes this.

The kimber Solo is one of the smallest 9mm currently out there and it's my choice for small pocketable carry. Roughly the same size as the Kahr and the Sig 938, but it does have a external safety. You don't have to use it, but it's there.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Fantasy gun for me would be the Boberg XR9-S But starting at $1000.00 for a 9mm pocket carry???? (If I ever hit Lotto, I am there)

Sig P238

My two pocket carry options are the Sig P238 and the S&W 642 revolver, shown together below. They both weigh about 15 ounces empty, both will hide in a pocket, and both have been quite reliable and trustworthy for me. I think the Sig is the easiest to conceal, because it is flatter and shorter. And it does have the thumb safety the OP wants.

triage1998 likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Look at the Keltec PF9. It is the smallest and lightest 9mm you can buy. I have one and it is very accurate, but being a very light gun it is not fun to shoot a lot of rounds at a target. It was meant for defense, not target shooting.

I have recently fired the Ruger LC9 and for it's size it is a great concealed carry semi-auto.

If you want a revolver, the Ruger LCR is a good one. Get it in .357 magnum and that way you can shoot .38spl and +p ammo as well.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    My wife really likes her Ruger LC9 and it has proven to be reliable and accurate. You could also take a look at the M&P Shield. I shot my brother in laws Beretta Nano this weekend and was really impressed.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links