Striker Fired Pistol Storage

This is a discussion on Striker Fired Pistol Storage within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello gents. If you are going to store your Glock, should you pull the trigger first and let it "rest" that way? I see allot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Striker Fired Pistol Storage

Hello gents.

If you are going to store your Glock, should you pull the trigger first and let it "rest" that way?

I see allot of gents do that on YouTube and wondered if that's how one is supposed to store a striker fired pistol. Will it hurt the pistol if not done or done??

Any insights will be appreciated - Thanks in advance.

VIP Member
    There's no reason, or benefit, to do that. Besides, shouldn't it be loaded and ready to go?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    There's no reason, or benefit, to do that. Besides, shouldn't it be loaded and ready to go?
    Mine is always ready to go I don't see a point to it either and mine does not stand up by itself and go boom.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

I'd just leave the trigger alone. Mine has been loaded since I got it in 2012 with exception to cleaning and dry fire practice.

Thanks gents!

I don't keep my guns loaded in my safe... I guess I could. Just never did. Not sure why lol.

If you unload the gun then pull the trigger while pointed in a safe direction and it doesn't go boom you can be reasonably certain that it will not just go off if someone else picks it up. Other than that no need to.
    drift likes this.

Six Glocks...at least three are always ready to go...
    joker1 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Mine stays ready to go.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

The only thing i was told was not to load the magazine to max, if it was to stay unused but at ready. considering the extended Ruger magazines are hard to come by these days. I want to make sure i don't wear out the magazine spring before i get to use it.
    drift likes this.

Unloaded its a rock
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    The only thing i was told was not to load the magazine to max, if it was to stay unused but at ready. considering the extended Ruger magazines are hard to come by these days. I want to make sure i don't wear out the magazine spring before i get to use it.
    You will not wear out a magazine spring by keeping it compressed. This is probably one of the biggest myths in the firearm community.

Constant compression and decompression will wear out a spring faster than keeping it in one state or the other, and even then it takes a LOT of compressions/decompressions to do so.

The good news is that springs are designed to compress and decompress, and magazines are designed to hold their full capacity. As such, have no fear in leaving magazines fully loaded for extended periods. It's what they were built to do and unless you've got some janky khyber pass POS gun you found in a sewer you will not have any problems using the magazine as it was designed to be used.

There have been 1911 magazines that were loaded for 50+ years and still worked just fine.

As for the OP, guns going into my safe are always unloaded and uncocked. It's just something I was taught to do and it's a habit. As such, I pull the trigger on my striker guns after unloading them and verifying they are unloaded 3 times. It doesn't matter either way really. You can leave them cocked and it will be just fine.

This is, of course, assuming you have another firearm for home defense. I have a loaded shotgun by the bed for bumps in the night. If you do not have a dedicated home defense firearm I'd echo the others in saying it might be a better idea to keep your Glock loaded and holstered on the nightstand.
    Kennydale, DMan, drift and 1 others like this.

Alex has it right....

American Handgunner
    May-June, 2003
    by John S. Layman

(C/O American Handgunner Magazine)
    The shooting sports are full of some of the most knowledgeable and capable people you'll meet anywhere. I've been impressed consistently with the abilities of those I meet at the range to diagnose and fix a gun problem with as little as some spray lube and a cotton swab. However, sometimes a myth will creep into the folklore.

The magazine spring myth has been around for many years and is growing in popularity. It goes something like this: "You should unload your magazines when they're not in use or the spring will weaken causing failures to feed." This has gone as far as shooting competitors actually unloading their magazines between stages to extend the life of their springs. A variant of this myth is: "You should never load a magazine to capacity and should always leave it one round short." What if you need that round some day?

Recently, I read an article in a gun magazine suggesting you rotate your magazines so the ones not in use can "recover and rest." The same author uses the phrase "spring-set" to describe weakness of a spring because it was compressed for a long time. Hogwash. There's nothing further from the truth. Springs don't care how long they're compressed and don't require rest, recreation or even a vacation from time to time.

Shameful Spring Benders

To put this one to rest, you have to understand creep. Creep is the slow flow of a non-ferric metal like copper, brass and lead under force. At temperatures outside of a furnace, steel doesn't have any appreciable creep. Under most conditions, steel flexes and then returns to its original shape. When pushed past its elastic limit, steel will bend and not return to its original shape. All designers of well-made magazines make sure the spring never approaches the elastic limit when the magazine is fully loaded. Honest. This means the spring will not weaken when the magazine is fully loaded -- not even over an extended time. Like 50 years. American Handgunner recently ran a story about a magazine full of .45 ACP that had been sitting since WWII and it ran just fine on the first try. So there you go.
    Springs are springs, whether they're magazine springs, hammer springs, or striker springs.....

Cycling springs is the cause of spring failure, NOT static compression.
    Fitch and drift like this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    If the Glock is going to be put into a safe unloaded then I decock it; I see not reason to leave it cocked when empty.
    drift and joker1 like this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by drift View Post
    Hello gents.

If you are going to store your Glock, should you pull the trigger first and let it "rest" that way?

I see allot of gents do that on YouTube and wondered if that's how one is supposed to store a striker fired pistol. Will it hurt the pistol if not done or done??

Any insights will be appreciated - Thanks in advance.
    Assuming you are doing this at home...Firing a round prior to putting the gun away is a waste of a bullet and could be very dangerous.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Assuming you are doing this at home...Firing a round prior to putting the gun away is a waste of a bullet and could be very dangerous.
    He is not firing a round, he is "dropping the hammer" on an empty chamber to remove tension from the trigger spring, so no wasted ammo.........
    To the OP, I do this for weapons that are in the safe, but my HD and EDC guns stay lockied an loaded at all times. I only do it on my safe guns because it is what I was taught when I was young and its habit.
    drift likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links